Ireland

Rummy3

Does anyone here have any insight for travel in Ireland. I am thinking of flying into Heathrow and renting a car for a couple of weeks to make way through northern England and all of Ireland. I want to see castles and pubs, but not really into battlefields. Have any of you been there or planning a trip there? Let's share notes~

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a similar thing with me mum. We flew in Heathrow (via a two day layover in Iceland) and rented a car. Drove to Bath for a few days and then up into Scotland and the Highlands and did some camping. We took two weeks to do the whole thing and it wasn't nearly enough. However we saw so many castles, ruins and pubs that by the end we were touring battlefields and Wax Museums of Fashion (the one in Bath is wonderful). While somethings don't seem that attractive from here in the states, it might be just thing once you've been there for a while. I wouldn't actually discount anything in the way of potential tours.

The driving in London is mad, and unless you're an exceptionally accomplished manual driver make sure you get the rental up grade to automatic. There are also numerous roads that seem to go somewhere and just end in some farmers field or going the wrong way on the belt way. Just be careful.

I'd love to be able t' go. Cork and Kerry are maybe the most famous "counties" since they're immortalized in song. I think anywhere in Ireland ye go, will be a blast. Take lots of pictures for us!

I had a layover in Ireland coming back from Saudi Arabia. 'Twas dark and I got stuck on weapons guard duty on the plane. All I got was some Irish rock my Corporal bought for me since I couldn't get into the terminal...

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Can't help with Ireland, but I was born in Yorkshire and go home as often as I can. I know a good many pubs and castles around the north country. I always get a car, because most of the places I get to are not reaaly accesible otherwise.

Matter of fact, I'm going over next week for a couple of days. Staying south on this run, though. Mary Rose, Victory, and some shopping in Camden Town, London.

What do you have in mind? Besides the basic knowledge, mundanely I'm a corporate travel agent, so I can probably help.

Hawkyns

:blink:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

aye, Rummy, I've been o'er to Ireland several times, me ancestors were from there n' I be tracin' me lineage back to 1600's....been to most counties n' I strongly recommend it, tis a beautiful country wi' friendly people....the pub life is especially good....ifn when ye are plannin' I'd be happy to suggest places, but ye must take plenty o' time to see it....at least a couple o' weeks I say if ye can.....a few days is too short n' not worth it....ye would love it.....too much to put here in one post...ye can PM me ifn ye likes.....

It's going to take a while to get the planning part down - and I am just going to charge what I need. Thank you for all the great ideas -I am going to be sure to follow everyone's helpful advice. I am thinking June would be a good time to do it - and I absolutely want to take at least 2 weeks. I've got my research cut out for me - but with all the posts here, i am so much more encouraged! Thank you all. There are very few vacations that I have ever been on, and I've never been to Europe so I think that this is the perfect place to start!

I bought a book on 25 road trips through Ireland - (I also picked up 2 more books just because i couldn't decide which were the best choices. One has a map and tons of color pictures - and the other had lots of celtic stuff in it. Durty Mick Moon and Hawkins - I will PM each of you. thank you so much for the kind offers. :)

Fyne thoughts of overseas travel dear Sweet Lady Rummy.... me and mine be plannin' our first trip to England this year! Tryin' a balancin' it wif Pyrate events thar.... I hear tell weather is an important factor in the tyme we goes as well...

.....Please keep us all posted on what ye does.... I wants ta read everything!

Yers, B)

Pyracy in all it's Glory,

Yers,

D.L.

aka DurtyLaFey

member of a few crewes....but that be a personal question.

Honestly, unless something goes wrong with your trip, I don't think you'll hafta worry about a specific itinerary. Unless you're going there to visit a specific castle or something like that, everything you see is sure t' be a grand adventure. I envy you, luv. Truly, I do.

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

Bring me back one of them castles , PLunder it ifen ya must. And By God have fun ! :D

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Oh Rummy, I bae extremely jealous o' ya lass! Enjoy if for all o' us who wish and dream but cannae make it .... yet.

Travel safe and enjoy all ya can! Will be looking for your full length report once ya get back.

Cap'n Emerald.

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

LOL - Biker, you just never know~ Well I have been reading Frommer's Ireland 2006 and am realizing that this is going to be the trip of a lifetime. Does anyone have a preference on what airline to take? I just learned that US Airways is going to begin flying directly into Shannon this May. Does that sound good?

Direct flights are always good, I think. Shannon would be lovely! Well, I guess that depends what time of year. I can imagine it being really cold now, but I'm not sure. What's the time frame you're looking at?

Well I have been reading Frommer's Ireland 2006

isnt that the guide used on the movie "Eurotrip"??

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Well, Mad Matt, I was thinking of going there in June maybe. It all depends on my living situation. I just found out that my room mate is selling her condo so my plans may have to be put on hold. If I go next year, I can celebrate my 50th Birthday in June - or maybe go in March and celebrate St Patrick's day with all of Ireland! Oh, and Biker, dear, you are correct! I had to look that one up to be sure~

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you make it their rummy. My goal someday is to make it to ireland... Its suposed to be lovely.

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Ireland is easy to do.

I have been to the Emerald isle 3 times and head back on Feb 23rd for a long weekend.

It also doesn't have to be expensive. My trip (which includes hotel, moter coach, and flight with one meal a day) costs about $1,000 USD.

Tips: Go off season (not during the summer). Pick up a DK book on Ireland (much better than Frommer and with cool pictures. My wife and I used one in Portugal and it showed us many places that tourists would not find. Look into Student Hostels (you need not be a student or a youth, I just spend a little over a week in Scotland staying at hostels. Oh and don't let the movie creep you out. Hostels are fun!). Dress for rain and cooler weather.

I am headed into Dublin and then north. This trip includes the Hill of Tara, Newgrange, Boyne Valley, and Belfast. I have been in the southwest and central parts of the country on past trips. Mypersonal favorites include the above mentioned Newgrange, King Johns Castle, Durty Nellys Pub, Blarney Castle and grounds, and Dvbinia Museum in Dublin.

One note: Ireland isn't always what people think. The coffee table/ movie set/ pagan fey image of Ireland might crumble if you keep that kind of thing sacred.

It is a great country.

OK - I have booked my trip to Ireland and I am going to be there for St Patrick's Day 2007. I think I will fly into Dublin before the 17th and celebrate with the best of them. It will be a few days making my way to Shannon - and there I ahve signed up to join a band called Men of Worth. They host a small tour of 30 people for 10 days to locations familiar to them and their families. We cruise on the Shannon River in a viking ship - tour the famine museum - stay in 5 star hotels and each day journey will return us to the hotel for pub life with local musicians and the men of worth. It includes a day on a farm and a visit to loch ness as well as some ruins similar to Stonehenge and then a 6th century castle. I'll get a hold of the book you mentioned Jib - and thank you everyone for the insight! This is a dream come true~