Greatest Fencing Scene of All Time?

Bilgemunky

I've got to go with Rob Roy. You see some interesting elements in the last fight seen with Rob and Archie. Archie does a lot of hanging parries which are rather like saying "You are so out of your league! I can kill you anytime!" Rob holding the broadsword above his head and bracing with the second hand showing signs of fatigue. Brilliant!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not a piratical movie one of the most fun fencing scenes I have ever watched was the fight between Danny Kaye and Basil Rathbone in the Court Jester. danny Kaye is bewitched and every time someone snaps their finger he changes from a great swordsman to a bumble and back again I loved it

OK... this isn't exactly "The greatest fencing scene ever" ...but last night I was looking for something to watch on Netflix and found "Reclaiming the Blade"...

It shows quite a few "snippets" of some Movie Sword fight sceans, and different groups that are re-learning sword fighting.... It's worth checking out.

I'm in agreement about the 1970s Three and Four Musketeers movies. They seemed to have a touch of realism in them, particularly with the use of other props during swordfights. Underscored the fact that they were, in fact, fighting for their lives and used whatever was handy to survive.

RHJMap.jpg

The duelling scene towards the end of Dangerous Liaisons in all it's ragged, ameturish, nastyness is the one that made me want to take up smallsword.

Kicks in around 05.45 with the odd interruption from other character cut scenes, you'll have to go to youtube to watch it as embedding is disabled.

With the added bonus for Mission of some bleeding and cupping scenes for him to scream NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EK5wy37FII&feature=relmfu

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

The wet cupping (cupping on the back after scarifying - or making a bunch of incisions) in Dangerous Liaisons looks about like what I'd expect. (And it also gives me a fine movie to refer to when explaining such.)

OTOH, bleeding by drawing a 4 or 5 inch slice through the forearm has apparently been done for dramatic purposes. The surgeon would have to heal that huge gash after bleeding her, so he wouldn't make it that large. In fact, I have a pamphlet on how NOT to do something dumb like that by making a proper bleeding blade that will only cut the vein while not affecting the surrounding skin for the most part.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG