Greatest Fencing Scene of All Time?

Bilgemunky

I just had to chime in on the Muskteers debate. In Richard Lesters the Four Muskeeters there is a great scene where they are having breakfast on top of a bastion while besieged by protestants....It is hilarious and they do do use muskets and pistols with great accuracy.

Has anyone seen the latest Bond film? Ok...not a "genre" film, but there is an awesome fencing scene that uses just about every type of blade imaginable. It starts with foils then Rapiers, the bad guy even picks up a Katana, and then ends with them using Rovenna's (a type of long sword used in the early rennaisance). It was choreographed by good old Bob Anderson.

Ridley Scott's "The Duelist's" is now available on a special edition DVD...It has a great conversation between Scott and the Director of the Count of Monte Christo Kenin Reynolds. Every Sword enthusiast should check it out.

I really like the Duels in Rob Roy (William Hobbs again). Just brutal and Tim Roth is just so damn Wicked. The Musketeer is OK, Tim Roth is the Best Part of that film (He has almost surpassed Alan Rickman as my Favorite villian[Rickman's Sherrif of Nottingham is just Brilliant]).

Other movies of note Gladiator, Ladyhawke, Dragon Heart.

I have some problem with the older movies in that they seem not in real time. Don't get me Wrong...I love Errol Flynn, but the movies are a bit tough to watch todat....maybe I have just become jaded....

DuCouer

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r: Here's one I completely forgot about,

nothing piratical but a great historical piece.

QUEEN MARGOT starring Issabelle Adjani

and Vincent Perez. Set in 16th century France

durring the infamous St. Barthowmews day massacre.

GREAT & VICIOUS sword fights. In french with english

subtitles, a great movies. i think it retails for around $15.

worth having in your collection!

Redhand

:ph34r:

Ahoy, I’ve just got to chime in here.

I have to agree with DuCouer, Tim Roth in The Musketeer movie makes and excellent movie bad guy.

Though there aren’t any Pirates per se, there are a few muskets fired or maybe they’re pistols. In any case, I think the fight scenes are really fun and way over the top. There’s a lot of jumping around and hanging off the sides of buildings and don’t forget the fight scene a top ladders. In fact I think that ladder fight idea was borrowed for a Xena episode.

Anyway, I recommend The Musketeer, very fun, non-historical, silly.

I had posted about the newest version of... THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO... I loved this flick. The fight scenes were excelent. I really like the knife fight on the beach and the final sword fight at the end. But, even the learning how to fight that happend while Donte's was in prison was good to watch. If any of you get the chance, I seriously reccomend this film. It's the new one with Guy Pierce. You won't be dissapointed.. The Capt.

The Count of Monte Christo...Every time I watch that movie I enjoy it more and more.

I would love to find a sword like the one Edmund uses in the final scene.

I just wish the scene was longer...it is just that good.

Has anyone seen the Duelist by Ridley Scott? I do recomend this movie. While not a pirate movie per se, it does take place during the napoleonic era. There is one scene where they are fighting with sabers that enters in the middle of the fight...both men are a bloddy mess and exhausted. Great Scene.

Richard Lesters Three Musketters still has some of the best swordplay in it.

Did Anyone see Johnny Depp on Leterman last week...They showed a fencing clip with Depp and Orlando Bloom....It looked very cool...very well done and Choreographed.

Counting the Days to POTC

DuCouer

RedHand...Is Queen Margot on DVD Yet? I would love to see it but have never been able to rent it.

Also...Why haven't the released Roman Polanski's Pirates on DVD. He just won the Academy award, Walter Mathau is, regrettably, no longer around and with the rise of period films this would be an ideal time.

I haven't seen that movie in years...Does anyone remember the fencing in it?

Went looking the other day for some of the movies mentioned here...namely Scaramouche and Les Vilins de Vampire...any idea whee these films may be had???

duCour-

I don't believe Queen Margot is available on DVD yet,

it's available on VHS for around $15 bucks.

That's got some great fight scenes in it.

I'd like to get a copy of Scaramouche (with Stewart Granger)

Turner classics ran the 1929 b/w silent version not to long ago

and that was pretty cool, although I only got to watch a few minutes of it.

What's the Vampire movie you mentioned???

Redhand

:blink:

Just watched Count of Monte Christo and Brotherhood of the Wolf back to back (What can I say...tis a dull life I lead.). I enjoyed Count of Monte Christo more.

While on the search for Pirate movies at Borders, I came across a three movie DVD with Captain Kidd, The Son of Monte Christo and one other. It is only Twelve Bucks so I think I will pick it up. The only recognizable name is Charles Laughten as Captain Kidd.

Will let you all know what the movies are like when I am done with them.

DuCouer

OK, I think we've all forgotten the one fencing scene that truly leaves all others in it's dust - the climatic ski-pole duel at the end of "Better Off Dead"

Ah - Roman Polanski's Pirates. I'm lucky enough to have my own copy. The fencing scenes aren't stellar in the movie sense - pretty hack'n'slash (and probably much more accurate because of this.) There are some fun bits, though, like when Frog thrusts his rapier through a fellow pirates earring. THAT'S point control :huh:

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Just got back From POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl.

Add this one to your list lads and lasses.

1. Jack VS Will in the Armoury

2. Jack Versus Barbarosa in the cave

3. Will and Elizabeth versus three nasties...in the cave

This movie has more swash and buckle then a shoe factory (? B) )

Let me know what you think Hearties...

DuCouer B)

*purrs*

The fencing scene in POTC where Cptn Sparrow and Will first meet and they're fighting in the blacksmith's place. Action some what reminiscent of the Princess Bride, snapier lines that Zorro the Gay Blade and dear gods that whole teeter-totter fighting! Gotta love it!

*purrs some more*

oh, and I almost forgot, from the Disney 3 musketeers movie with Chris O'connel, Charlie Sheen and crew... (stupid lack of memory *drinks more rum*)

Porthos, well anything with Porthos. he's just sezzy.

• 2 months later...

My favorite was a great fencing scene in The Four Musketeers between Michael York and Christopher Lee...First a burnin' buildin...and then ending in a church (in front o' nuns, no less) in the warm glow of light pouring in through the stained glass windows! I admired it for its honesty...because they both acted as if they were becoming exhausted from the fight.

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Not in any way realistic, but the flashback fencing scene in Highlander where Connor just won't die is too funny.

I am almost remembering some fencing scenes in A Company of Wolves. Can anyone confirm? I remember someone's hand getting cut off, but that may be because I just came from a Star Wars board. :ph34r:

Rumors of my death were right on the money.

Many great examples here. To these, I might add Cyrano de Bergerac to the list. It's been years since I've seen it, but from what I remember, it had some great swordplay in it. See if you can find it:

CYRANODE-00AA1-poster_hires.jpg

It has been twice as long since I've seen the José Ferrer version, but I seem to remember a good bit done in there, too. In either version, it's worth watching just to see him compose the poem during the "duel" (for that matter, Steve Martin did a good Edmond Rostand cover in "Roxanne").

104152.jpg

Only by great risks can great results be achieved.

-Xerxes

Rob Roy- the final duel. Has to be the greatest fight scene ever filmed. Hobbs is a bloody genius staging and choreographing these things. A couple of years ago, A friend and did some serious work rapier against broadsword. He trained with Martinez and I've been fighting for a long time studying George Silver's technique. Really brought home the difficulty of a duel with such mismatched weapons and the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Princess Bride has readily enjoyable fencin' scenes, but really cannot compare t' the ones in Captain Blood. C'mon, Peter Blood fighting for his name as ruler o' the Caribbean? Classic. So much fun ter watch.

Speakin' o' Caribbean, I cannot help but love Jack and Will's fighting scene near the beginning of PotC. Two fine men... crossin' swords, intent on victory for differen' reasons. *is slash addict* Clearly, they be wantin' to cross other swords, too, eh. *obsesses*

Captain Wolfy Wench

• 1 month later...

My favorite fencing scene of all times was in the newest version of the COunt of Monte Cristo. Those of you with any fencing knowledge I'm sure have heard the name William Hobbs before, a great fencer and a wonderful chroegrapher. The end scene in hte high grass was wonderful, and the cinematography was really impressive

Have been reading a great book on Sword History and fencing...need to look this up....but froma fencers view some of the older movies fight scenes were actually much better......The book is..By The Sword...by Cohen( a world champion Sabruer)...It is very interesting reading if you are so inclined to that kind of thing...

dR

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"