Pirate Festivals - which are the best?

Bilgemunky

It goes without saying - I don't get out enough :D

So in that case, I really need to attend more pirate festivals. I'd like to make at least one in 2006 (not counting Port Pirates, which is essentially in my backyard.) Given no limitations, I'd likely choose to make it Pirates in Paradise, but that may or may not be feasible.

Sooo.... all you Pirate Fest veterans, please share. If you could only attend ONE festival next year, which ones would be at the top of your list, and why? Which festivals provide the most bang for the buck, as it were?

I AM BILGEMUNKY

I'm so glad you asked...I live in Florida, so my 2 favorites are Pirates in Paradise, and in my own backyard, the Florida Pirate Festival, in Clearwater...I've been to Gasparilla, Lee County, and St Andrews...all in Florida...So what else is out there??? Maybe NC or Virginia...I also would love to attend one I've never been to....Anyone need a photographer?

Maggie :D

aka Barb Trushaw

the blackbeard festival in hampton virginia in early june is a grand one... some mighty fyne folk there and it was a grand tyme!!! i'll be going back ....and pyrates in pardise is such a great place to be ...we were there last year and tried like hell to be there again this year but alas it just wasn't meant to be :P:P:P :)

I gotta get to the Hampton Festivale......

But I still say (untill I've been to Hampton) that East Coast..... Pyrates in Paridice..... West Coast Ojai (there are good Renn Faires.... but they are Renn Faires with some Pyrates.....) Ojai, and Pyrates in Paridice are Pyrate Faires....... Ok... so Ojai is really small.... but so if PiP...BUT it is Pyrate......)

If you want a good Renn Faire.... I'm not the one to ask..... and never being to Hampton, I can't say for sure..... but Pyrates in Paridice(East) and Ojai(West), are the places where you will meet the Pyrates that post on the Pub......

Diego is working on promoting a Faire in Los Vegas.... cheap airfaire to get there ..... so that may have potential..........

Bilge my "brother from another mother", how about Bristol Faire in Bristol Wisconsin? Now before you say "No Jib you drunken sot!" remember that they are rummored to be building a 1500's replica of a sailing ship on the grounds (Golden Hind-ish). May not be GAOP but worth a trip...

Bilge my "brother from another mother", how about Bristol Faire in Bristol Wisconsin? Now before you say "No Jib you drunken sot!" remember that they are rummored to be building a 1500's replica of a sailing ship on the grounds (Golden Hind-ish). May not be GAOP but worth a trip...

Is it to scale?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

That would be "The Dreadnought", under construction this winter to be opened next summer. Look for more details with the next Bilgemunky update (falling a bit behind due to the holidays.) The owner's been keeping in contact with me - I even have a scale drawing to share with ya lot!

But alas, regarding my original question, a Ren faire, no matter how pirate friendly, is a different beast from a true pirate festival. Bristol is actually very pirate friendly, and will only grow moreso with the new ship :)

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Aye, Diego - that were a good festival! A bounty of piratical fellowship.

It would be tough to top last year's, but if we can arrange for more Brun's Raiders to travel south, we're looking to improve the battle in a big way.

Aye too and good weather we had as well. in fact ifin ye remember me post after said events end? a flash flood rainstrom came in for half a day on monday after faires close and dropped three inches..... That woulda staggered the faire to a musty close fer certs!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• 3 weeks later...

For party pirating I'd pick Ojai, Fernandina Shrimp Festival, Contraband Days and Billy Bowlegs.

Festival where pirates actually existed - hands down PiP and Pirate's Week in Grand Cayman. Haven't been to the Blackbeard Festival but I would pick it for the same reason. Partying in a field if fun, but walking in the shadows of the real ones is even more of a thrill, at least for me. And now I'm spoiled.

I hear tell that plans are afoot for new pirate festivals in Nassau and Port Royal in 2007. Obviously, those would be the top of my list for the same reason.

Oh, almost forgot St. Augustine, FL anytime - old town is amazing... still want to take the haunted tour - and listening to sea chanteys in Taberna de Gallo is reason enough to go any weekend.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Oh, almost forgot St. Augustine, FL anytime - old town is amazing... still want to take the haunted tour - and listening to sea chanteys in Taberna de Gallo is reason enough to go any weekend.

-- Hurricane

Yer right there, shipmate. And just spending the day in Spanish Village is worth the trip.

Reminds me of the French Quarter as it probably was once: too far back even fer me to remember! <_<

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

For party pirating I'd pick Ojai, Fernandina Shrimp Festival, Contraband Days and Billy Bowlegs.

Ah, the Fenandina Shrimp Fest - that be one of my very first pirate memories. Don't even know how young I was, but I remember pirates kidnapping the dads and ransoming them for charity. It's also where I tried my first corndog. I must have considered corndogs to be pirate food for years following (still do, kinda.)

I AM BILGEMUNKY