Fresh meat!

~Lady Pirate~

i much prefer period pieces to most of the modern settings ... there is sense of tyme and place to those stories ....and even when you see people treated poorly you can understand it historically ... but the modern genre of action films treats everybody like crap and everyone is just out for themselves it seems ........there is no honour in the characters ... and i really don't need to see a lot of what they show in the new stuff :o ...i don't need to see splattered brains to know that a fellow's been shot ... and without that much graphic scenes the story can be watched by more of the family .... :o me mum doesn't need t' see the horrors o' what i've seen in battle ....nor do my kids ...i also don't want the entire world being turned into one giant disney fantasy like the cartoon version of the stories they've done :o ..... but that just be my take on it :)

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome abaord lass. Tis an honor to make ye known to me. I be thanking ye for the tankard. e welcome in this here port.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

OF course, with my eyesight, the first time I saw the post I misread it as "damsel in distress needs shaving..."

Ah well. Wellcome, lass.. :o

Drop a kitten six feet, and she grins...

Drop an elephant six feet, and ya gots yerself a mess ta clean up....

Sometimes bein' the biggest and most powerful is the LAST thing you wanna be.....

Mad Ozymandias Zorg the Unsnottered

What do you think of period films then?
Period films are good. I think there was alot more that the directors and producers had to do in order to realize scenarios in older films. You certainly didn't have the effects capabilities that George Lucas brought out in 1977, and you couldn't just invent something with digital like they do now. The only b-w movies I've seen over recent years are the yearly showings of Scrooge and also Its A Wonderful Life with James Stewart.

Yah I know, they're basically Christmas cult classics, especially here in the US :o But I think they were well done and well acted. The emotions and expressions of actors/actresses, in most older films, seemed to be more developed than those in today's. There are good exceptions like Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow. Awesome character!!

I also like alot of the old biblical flicks like Ben Hur, Quo Vadis, The Robe, and all with their HUGE sets, music scores, and casts ala Cecile B. DeMille.

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

OF course, with my eyesight, the first time I saw the post I misread it as "damsel in distress needs shaving..."

Ah well. Wellcome, lass.. :o

thank the gods, I saw that too as shaving..

good to have you back, Zorg..

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

Ah well.  Wellcome, lass.. :unsure:

thank the gods, I saw that too as shaving..

good to have you back, Zorg..

:huh: Shaving? If I need shaving, I won't be asking you. I do my own shaving. :) No offense, but with your eyesight I might end up with no eyebrows.

Tito - I meant period films as in historical films: Gladiator, Wurthering Heights, Troy, Master & Commander, Pride and Prejudice, etc.

Considering I'm a re-enactor of the Napoleonic period, I'm a bit of a history freak so I love films about medieval times, victorian times, etc.

I do love Star Wars (old series mostly) though.

A pirate by heart, a pirate in my soul

I always steal whatever I need, no self-control

I always long to sail my ship and explore the sea

So you'd better beware me!

Because Captain Pirate is near. And a girl too so fear

Don't you dare to question me and I might let you live

I fight and kill those without skill

So surrender now...and bow!

Tito - I meant period films as in historical films: Gladiator, Wurthering Heights, Troy, Master & Commander, Pride and Prejudice, etc.

Oh I know lass. And the classic ones I mentioned like Ben Hur, The Robe, Quo Vadis, are some of my faves. I like Gladiator too, also The Patriot with Mel Gibson. Since I lived in SC for quite a while, that one kinda hit home. Many people here forget that the "American Revolution" was also fought in the south, as well as in northern states.

I am sure that alot at this pub know it though.

I also liked the classic Beckett.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

The Patriot is really good yes. How I hated Jason Isaacs in that film. Awesome villain. Horrible man. I wanted him dead so bad.

The Patriot is really good yes. How I hated Jason Isaacs in that film. Awesome villain. Horrible man. I wanted him dead so bad.

And that is the sign of a great actor.... one who becomes the character so well... Jason Issacs Is quite a nice guy, if you've ever seen the behind the scenes from Peter Pan, or the Patriot...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

He just made me want to dash into the screen and take him out myself.

And that is the sign of a great actor.... one who becomes the character so well... Jason Issacs Is quite a nice guy, if you've ever seen the behind the scenes from Peter Pan, or the Patriot...

Aye that be what made his character so defined. He does a great job with whatever he is handed.

Another classic I liked was Sparticus with Kirk Douglas.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I know Jason is a nice guy. My mom met him at the Harry Potter 2 premiere. He was very chatty and friendly. Brits are often nice guys compared to American actors.

And he's a great actor, yes. Loved him in Peter Pan too. Awesome costumes too.

Sometimes, the villain is more likeble than the hero. I liked the Sheriff of Nottingham more than Robin Hood in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I wanted to hit Marian on the head with a frozen beaver. Forget that tosser. Go for the Sheriff! He's so much more interesting (and naughty). I loved Alan Rickman's portrayal of that character. Kevin Kostner sucked in that film. :unsure: American accent too. Bleh.

Dances with Wolves was good. I watched it when I was young.

Braveheart is good too. Sad though he dies at the end. I prefer happy endings. :lol: Awesome soundtrack though.

What did you think of King Arthur? I know many hated it. I didn't. Just Keira Knightley's "performance" as Guinevere.

What did you think of King Arthur? I know many hated it. I didn't. Just Keira Knightley's "performance" as Guinevere.

Good movie but I guess I was so much around the musical Camelot when I was younger (I saw the movie, I saw the taped version of the live performance, both starring Richard Harris, I have the original Broadway soundtrack with Richard Burton, I was in the pit orchestra for a performance at our high school, AND I did see it live, on a nationwide tour starring Richard Harris himself :lol: ) that I tend to be picky of anything dealing with Arthur, where there isn't singing.

But like I said, I liked the movie and thought Knightley made an awesome Guinevere.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

An awesome Guinevere? Her battle outfit was ridiculous. I also hated the way her relationship with Arthur revolved around lust rather than love. It made their marriage sudden and silly. Plus, her posh British accent didn't suit the role at all. She portrayed a Woad princess after all. But she sure didn't act like one.

I don't think I've ever actually seen Rob Roy. Perhaps I should sometime.

I'm sure Liam Neeson was good in it. He's a very good actor.

Life's good. White indeed. Looks lovely. Not that cold. Then again, I'm inside. And wearing my aunt Christha's sweater too.

Yes, I saw it. It's one of those must-see films, isn't it?

Great soundtrack indeed.

M'lovely, ye know what ye would have liked?

US Television back in the late 70s through the mid 80s.

They came out with TONS of historical mini-series'.

These series' were on for like 4 nights, with 2-3 hrs each night.

Many are now available on home video, and I'm sure dvd by now too.

You had the blockbusters like Roots, and Jesus of Nazareth.

Shogun, Marco Polo, A.D., Visuvius,

The Blue and The Grey, The North and The South, Beulah Land, (all 3 about the American Civil War of the 1860s),

George Washington, Columbus (done before the 1492 movie), Kennedy, Robert Kennedy and His Times, Eleanor and Franklin, Backstairs at the White House (which traced a woman who grew up in a family as a maid in the US White House, taking over when her mother died. I can't remember which US President the family started with, but they had her death happen when Kennedy was inaugurated in 1960), The Winds of War, War and Rememberance, The Holocaust.

There were tons of them, and it seemed for a while that NBC, ABC, and CBS just kept on spewing them out. B) As many as there were, one would think some were poorly done, but in actuality, they were all good. I saw most of them and there wasn't one I didn't like.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

The only one I actually know is North and South, which I've seen. A few episodes anyway. I tend to forget about series. We also own a few on DVD. Like the Onedin Line. Ever heard of it? The music is very famous. Or the series about the Forsyte family. Also quite good.

I also enjoy British comedy series though. Like Are you Being Served or Keeping Up Appearances. Dunno if they air those in the US though.

Many series about politics you had over there! :huh: I know little about American presidents.