Anniversary of John Lennon's death

Christine

I remember calling my girlfriend at the time, who'd gotten me hooked on the Beatles, to give her the news. She hadn't heard. Her Mom answered, and I asked for Kathy. When she came on, her voice was a happy "Hello?" and all I could croak out was "Honey? John's dead. Some bastard shot him in the back. He's gone." I remember her choking on her own breath, like someone had just punched her in the stomach. And then the screaming and crying. And I cried, too. I'll never forget.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

I remember Howard Cosell announcing it as if it were yesterday. I'll never forget. And I'll never stop Imaging. :)

I know; it's a bloody sappy sentiment, coming from a pyrate. But John did sing about what every pyrate wants - Freedom.

So speak to that which you want so dearly. Say it, whisper it, sing it, scream it! What do you want? FREEDOM!! That's why we're pyrates, and shall evermore be on the Account. To Live the Life, Pure and Free!

:ph34r:

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Last year around this time I was visiting New York City for the first time and we walked through Central Park and saw the Dakota and then visited Strawberry Fields. It was very peacefull and beautiful, and there were about a dozen people standing around the mosaic circle monument in silence. A very fitting tribute to a loving person and one of Rock history's most influential songwriters.

I remember sitting in my truck at work eating my lunch and listening to the radio when I heard the news. I was numb and sat there thinking who could harm such a gentle man?

Strawberry Fields forever.........

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

I agree. And his music is some of the best we've ever known. "Imagine" is an excellent song.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)