The Art o' pyracy

El Capitan'

That is sweet !

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joshua! That's a fantastic paintin'! I'm in utter awe! Tis fantastic! I loves it! :)

Can't wait t' see more! From th' looks of ol' Blackbeard there... I'd say yer calender will be a mighty fine one that I would be willin' t' purchase!

:unsure:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Barbados Sam...

Flattery gets ya everywhere!

So... luv.. here be a treat for ya... a wench drawn just for ye!

Enjoy her. :o

BarbadosSamwench.jpg

:o

Be still me black heart! How did ye know I held stockins' in good favor lass? Thank ye from tha bottom of me.....well......ye know.......

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Your black heart? Or some other portion of yerself? :o

Ye be most welcome, Barbados. Tis a lucky guess.

:o

...a 1709 map of the town which is the only GAOP era imagery we have of Charleston, including the famous half-moon battery.

Half moon battery? Really?

When I was reading through Robert E. Lee's Blackbeard: A Reappraisal of his Life and Times, I was struck by his claim that Charleston had no artillery to defend against Blackbeard's ships. I thought it was odd that such an important port would have no shore batteries. So in fact the map does show that Charleston had a battery?

It most certainly does, I'll post it here. :) It was known as "The Walled City". Granted, I don't know how well armed or manned it was when Teach showed up, but it was there.

Btw, I love that book. Even if it was written by a lawyer. B)B) Kidding, I have nothing against lawyers. It seems a little biased, (the author DOES seem to take a lot of pride in his possibly being a descendent) but he did dig up some great info on the final battle at Ocracoke.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Robert E. Lee... this th' same gent who was General during th' Civ War? Th' one who is son of Light horse Harry Lee?

Or is this another Robert E. Lee whom I have no clue of?

B)

I was gonna say! That would have been a hell of a twist!

I'm in Light Horse Harry's Legion in the NWTA... and if it were true in that manner... wow, that would have been a hell of a twist! True partriot an' pirate! B)

B)

Yeah, Lee's book was published in 1974. His full name is Robert Earl Lee, unlike the Confederate general who I think was named Robert Edward Lee.

I was going to mention, there's a certain appropriateness in the pistols you've given Blackbeard: Queen Anne pistols on the Queen Anne's Revenge. Is that a normal size shell guard on the cutlass, though? It looks small to me, but that's not my area of expertise.

Looking forward to seeing the map. Thanks again for the excellent work, Josh.

we have a truly impressive pub

But why is the rum gone?

Save a horse ride a cowboy!

Take me away and take me farther, suround me now and hold me like holy

My toes are getting pruney

Also my head is round that window is square....

My name is Micheal J Kabous and i eat babies!

Your toast has been burned and no amount of scraping will remove the black stuff

Is that a normal size shell guard on the cutlass, though? It looks small to me, but that's not my area of expertise.

It could be a bit small, but I did find several period hangers that had guards of that approximate size and shape. It's actually a blend of 3 Queen Anne period hangers, pulling elements from that I liked from each one. One common trend was putting grotesques on the pommel, lions and wolves were very popular, but I noticed that they often looked ambigious, a little like both. So I emulated that here as well.

Regarding Charleston, here is a quote from the Charleston County Public Library:

Charleston was a walled fortress city between the years of 1690 and 1720, a period of constant danger from hostile French and Spanish invaders, Native American tribes, and pirates. The best contemporary view of the walls comes from a map and survey by Edward Crisp, dated approximately 1704. The illustration below is an adaptation of the Crisp Map, from a reproduction used courtesy of Historic Charleston Foundation. The Crisp Map is substantiated by other contemporary drawings which verify the general design without providing the interior details of Crisp. In all drawings, the walls are depicted as straight and sharply angular, with no evidence of haphazard construction. While the bastions may have begun as crude earthworks, it seems clear that by the early 18th century they had been engineered and refined to a fairly high degree of sophistication (text continues after map below).

And here is a detail of the map I used for reference, done by Edward Crisp in 1704. The half moon battery can be seen in the middle, letter G, just under W. :)

halfmoonbattery5vi.jpg

newbannersigtar0db.gif

Just saw this thread...Nice work everybody!

Josh, like yer painting, very cool.

Lady Barbossa....yer pencils ar excellent!, they

are really loose and very well done. They remind me

of Ben Stahl's work....he was one of the artists/instructors

who wrote the Famous Artists corrospondence course books

in the 50s and 60s. Nice stuff!

Here's a link to my website as well as

to my photobucket site, where I keep a lot of

sketches and other items.

jnp63 photo album - Photobucket.com

www.prechtelfineart.com

-Redhand

Tis right awesome, Callenish! :) Again, my compliments to ya.

An' Thank ye, Redhand. Indeed... the works of art here are rather good and sparks the imagination of people about piracy just as it has been for most for many years.

:lol:

• 1 month later...

These are the only pirate like peices I have. These are photos taken with my cheap digital camera and without the benefit of a copy board, the images are not as vivid as I would have liked.

DeadMansBones.jpg

"Dead Mans Bones"

Conte crayon and chalk ...or pastels ...it's been a while!

DreamofWildHorses.jpg

"Dream of Wild Horses"

Ink.

This one was inspired by a film about the wild horses on on N.C. outer banks.

So glad I am getting the use of my hands back! Once the healing is done I will be able to create some new images!