Fortunes Favor

Capt. Flint

Her sails caught the wind and she rose with the waves. The sea sprayed across her decks and she plunged through them. She was a strong ship fast and sleek. Twenty mounted cannon and four swivel guns. A formidable match for just about anything she would encounter.

Sail ahead, came the call. The crew started to scrambble to thier post. Clear the decks for action. Chain shot and partridges, bellowed the orders from the quartermaster. Peter Kingston was still a young man, only twenty nine. Tanned from his life at sea and very strong from his labors on board ship. Put a single ball across her decks when we get closer,called Peter.

Lets make a straight run for her Peter, called the Capt. She looks like a fat merchantman just put out. A black flag was hoisted along with a red pennant.

The distance between the two ships narrowed fast. Wait! They were spotted for who they are. The merchant ship started to make a run for it. More sail were added. Her bow lifted as they filled with the wind and her speed increased. But, it was to late. Forward gun, FIRE! Ordered the capt.

Flint Rogers was a fair but disciplined capt. He was elected by the crew as captain because he was also very daring. He was willing to challenge practically anything they came across. An el;ection became necessary after the old Captain met with a disagreeable encounter with a load of small shot from an enemy gun.

The shot from the forward gun sail dangerously close to the other ship, but, landed harmlessly in the water. Sea spray washed across the deck and the men of the other ship. It was enough. They dropped thier sail and slackened thier pace. Flint brought his ship within hailing distance. Send over your captain and your manifest, he ordered.

The merchantman was now thiers and they made ready to take whatever plunder she had to offer. A small boarding party was readied and sent over to take command of the ship. And so goes another day on board the ship known as Fortunes Favor. Scourge of the sea and feared by all who knew of her..

Her crew, like the ship, were a formidable bunch of rabble, ready and willing to take on whatever life threw at them. They were a mixed bunch of men from all over the known world. England, France, the Colonies etc. These men found a common thread among like minded men who chose a life at sea. They were a brotherhood formed out of the necessity and wants, for the freedom to choose thier own destinies and let the world rot behind them. They were the crew. But, her captain was a part of them also. Not lord over them. Together they were the heart of Fortunes Favor.

This ends page one. Any input or stuff you want to add, please tell me and I will try to add it in.. Hope you enjoy it... I will ad page two, just as soon as it is written...... The Capt.

Arrrrrr, it sounds like it have the making of a fine yarn, a fine yarn indeed.

But may a enter a question for clarification, and maybe to my education....

I be familair with 'grape shot', 'solid shot', and yes even 'chain shot', but what be ""partridges""?

"Clear the decks for action. Chain shot and partridges, bellowed the orders from the quartermaster."

I am familiar with a game bird by that name, but fireing one out of a cannon would be a sight to see indeed! Be there some other meaning to word ""partridges"" that is relevant to the loading of the cannon or the impending ship action? Or be it a typo, for 'cartridges' implying they be using powder bags and not loose powder?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Littleneckhalfshell..... I also was puzzeld when I first heard this term. As best i can describe it, it is similar to grape shot. I found the term in a book called .... under the black flag...... Not in front of me, so I do not know the author. An excellent book. The writer explains about an encounter between two ships, one of wich was pirate. he decribes how a comand was given to load ball and partridge shot. He then goes on to describe what that meant. As I said, near enough to my understanding, it is similar in nature to grape..... glad you enjoyed it.. next page coming soon....... The Capt.

"The writer explains about an encounter between two ships, one of wich was pirate. he decribes how a comand was given to load ball and partridge shot."

I be educated by ye, it is a term I am unfamiliar with, but must be akin to when with a rifle or musket one loaded with "buck & ball". That being where ye load yer musket or rifle ball and then load a few ''buck shot" on top of the load. It was often used in the colonies both for war and to ensure meat on the table.

Twould be interesting to see the evolution of the term, maybe because it was similar to what was used for the bird by that name, when hunting with a shotgun? Or if ye are sure it was like grape or maybe canister I wonder at the size of said "partridge shot". I have a particular interest in ordanance and would be intested in other information on the term. Any recolection if it be attributed to a particular period or date of history?

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Littleneckhalfshell.... The term comes from the book...Under the Black Flag..the romance and reality of life among the pirates... by David Cordingly...... page 120 refers to a pirate ship commanded by Capt. La Bouse... The year was 1717....it is quoted as saying that a broadside was fired with a double round and partridges, and a volley of small shot.. The writer goes on to explain that this means each gun had two cannon ball plus a bag of partridge shot and was accompanied with a volley from musket and pistol. Thats pretty much it in way of definition... Hope it helps...... The Capt.