Cannons and Naval Carriages YOU can afford.

HarborMaster

After a long and slow week.,my POR-15 came in. This is an interesting paint we tried a small area on our Backhoe bucket and after several drainfield installs and a few main sewers later(Rock .,dirt.,and debri) the POR-15 is still Hard and shiny on the area of the bucket we painted. This stuff is impervious to chemicals and is Anti-Rust. Like Armor .

We decided to under coat our barrels and trunnion caps with it.

build32.jpg

Finally we got around to sanding all the corners of our Cheek blocks., I believe it gave it a bit more defined look than a flat block look., after all we are trying to get sort of a toy look on it as a whole.

build33.jpg

Also we drill our holes first starting with the trunnion cap into the top block., then using the top block as a pilot .,wedrilled into it again and down into block 2. After 1 hole., we set a long bolt thru to keep things lined up as we went.

build34.jpg

also we counter sunk the holes for the bolts for a differant look.

The next photo is just the wheels., all I can tell you here is be sure you are EXACTLY CENTER. or you will not like the results for ever., or youll be making new wheels.

build35.jpg

Definitely more tomorrow.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Before we cut the floor we thought it would be a good idea to take a look at the total width with trunnions.

build36.jpg

At this point we could deduct the 2- 1 1/2" widths of our lower cheeks then add back our Dado groove depth. Now we had a total width for our floor and front trundle plate.

build37.jpg

Also to cut the shape into our front plate we found it easy to use a 2" hole saw on the press again and of course the drum sander on the press as well.

After cutting the floor we knew it was time to notch part of the lower cheek for this to fit. We did it with a dremel tool. Took a little longer but you have better control.

build38.jpg

As you can see we keep fitting this together as we go before any gluing is done., once you glue it its hard to go back.

build39.jpg

If you will notice., we felt it would be better to not only glue the floor in when we are ready .,but also to put screws in it., we drilled for the screws BEHIND where the wheels will be so as to cover the screws. If you will notice the screw holes for the floor are not directly above the axel hole. The reason for this.,is that a bolt will come up from the bottom thru the lower cheeck into the axel.,into the cheek.

build40.jpg

At this point we are able to cut All-Thread to length for both cheeks.

build41.jpg

Pretty much we are ready to stain this project.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

After sanding the axel lengths., no pictures here. They were embarring lookin'. Later we lightly sanded inside the wheels and did not sand the holes in the lower cheeks for a tighter fit.

Then we trial fitted everything before setting our glue and screwing home the lower cheeks into the trundle floor. and our floor into our front plate.

Afterwards we were able to slide the axels into a perfect line up!

build45.jpg

When the wheels went on we tried them for level on the steel table top., Perfect all 4 touch at the same time.., no play or slop.

build46.jpg

Another trial fit., to see if we got that "toy" look.

build47.jpg

I am thinking I will be buying 4 more for sure after this for our S.E.Asia Dive vessel only I will be using a Mahoganey slide trundle!!

build48.jpg

And 1 more photo to show you the size a 1/3 scale 6 pounder looks like next to a pint of paint. Note 1" bore.

build50.jpg

I am hoping this week after assembly and lining up the cheeks spread with a copper rod we can laquer the oak., and sand and laquer again.., perhaps by the weekend we can fire a few test rounds....., Hard to say.,In Washington State it is Freezing at night so the trundles have to come in at night., Mrs. HarborMaster isnt real excited about laquer smell.

After this project., I will do my Napoleon offline and just post a final picture. I was hoping to just give some thought into building personal cannons with this humble thread.

After some final work on the floor (You'll see the addition of Quion guides) an quion itself (not sure I spelled that right). we pinned the axels down and went for the final assembly.

build51.jpg

Tho our trunnion caps (mounts) will be black steel we went with brass acorn bolts on the cheek steps aswell as on the trunnion bolts.

build52.jpg

build53.jpg

Next step some laquer (Poly-Urethane) .,drill our vent in the barrel ., and mount the gun.

After Poly-Urethane and the finished assembly.

build57.jpg

After a good week of dry time we can drill our vent hole and put on a belaying rope.

build60.jpg

build58.jpg

Then its time to FIRE :ph34r:

build61.jpg

If we had more time and I could get in on knockin'em out for you.,you know I wood ! :ph34r:

Looks damn fine, Harbormaster. I definitely think that almost the exact same process and plans could produce less toy-looking ones as well. I really like the overall design of it. Now if I only had the time, money, and space to do this. Maybe in a few years when I get out of sunny (hopefully 1 in 30 days) SE Alaska.

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Its been a fun project so far Coastie . You'll get yours.,Its in your bloodmate.

I drilled the vents tonight.,and am just leavin'em for "A while" till I cant smell the poly urethane as much.,takes a while for it to REALLY cure. So until then., I am working on "What to do for a classy ram-rod" . Shootin'em will comesoon enough. :P

They're absolutely beautiful, HarborMaster! You did a wonderful job. Of course, after seeing the treasure chest that you built, it doesn't surprise me that your cannons turned out so beautiful. Wonderful talent you have there, mate. :ph34r:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Thank You Captain Midnight and Longarm..., Its been a fun project., here is a video capture of a blast during testing. They are definitely much louder than we expected and have that concussion feel even tho they are but only a 1" bore.

Bang for the Buck you say?

I give 5 <_<:unsure::unsure: :angry: :P

Highly recommended. It'll be hard to get more barrel than this for $185.00. Thank You Grey-Star Inc.

6poundtest.jpg

and here is a link to the actual video test., its 15 megs so not for the .56k user. A cable modem gets it pretty quik .

Cannon Test

Excellent Man!!!

Them great guns look an' sound wonderous!

I pray you (behind the camera) were wearing safety glasses and a shield, plus hearing protection.... I'll bet you felt the concussive force, seein' as ye were in the 'blast cone'....

I wish you much joy with them great guns!

Tho, I am envious... B)

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Excellent.... ;):huh::huh::D:huh:

Me and my cannon crew use a linstock and slowmatch... and stand to one side and slightly behind the cannon. No need for goggles, and I *offer* hearing protection, but so far no one wants any of that. ;)

Course... we are a bit on the crazy side.

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You Mr. Lassiter !

Capn Mac I still have your addy

I will be sending you out two sets of trunnion caps for those grey stars. I been pretty busy.,but theyll be on ther way come Monday. They say you cant have just one !

MIGHTY pretty little pieces, Harbor Master! :) Did you make the tubes, also? ;)

The only problem with posting these pics is that now, you'll be inundated with requests from other mates wanting one! B)

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Nah!! I cant do that trick Capnwilliam. I got it from grey star industries.

But I am very happy with them., Tim at grey star does a really great job casting his mold.

A couple of photos on the 1/3 scale Napoleon in a naval carriage. Incomplete of course.,no-poly-urethane.,or ramrod.,or Quoin. No rope or rings either as of yet., a work in progress., this one., I will be selling if anyone is interested. Itll make the same Bang as the other cannons I built (they all have the 1" bore).

build65.jpg

build63.jpg

build64.jpg

build62.jpg

One point of interest for you. I see your tompions are long and straight. If you get serious rain, or even humidity, they can swell and stick fast in the bore. Had it happen at Pennsic last year. I had Nightingale 2 days in the rain and the tompion stuck solid. Took almost a month before it dried sufficient to fit properly again. Now, all the plugs are tapered, short, and slightly subcalibred.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Thanks for tip Hawkyns .,I never thought about that and that IS going to be an issue escpecially in the PH with all of them . Humidity is real high there.

These tompions are 1" lightly sanded and the bore is 1" :P

I can see that they would get stuck for sure.

I dont have lathe access., what do you think of shorter and using a 7/8 hardwood dowel? or should it be 3/4 ?

The little Napoleon is sold ! Wow that was fast. I have one more to build just like it however it has 1 1/2" long trunnions and therefore will be getting a thicker set of cheeks on its carriage....., back to the shop!!