Yer real name

Christine

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it was bumped!

Full legal name is Michael Sheridan.... erm.... Arms. That is to say Michael Sheridan Arms. I don't go by the "Arms" part if I can avoid it. It's my father's name, not mine. I've never known the man, and I've never had any interest in carrying on his legacy in that regard. So I usually go by my mother's maiden name, which also happens to be my legal middle name (foresight on her part perhaps? tongue.gif ), Sheridan.

So yeah, Michael Sheridan.

Which in retrospect would have actually been a perfectly decent pirate name. But since people from the ren faire already knew me as "Jack," it was just easier to stick with that. Plus, I like to pick a different name for a character, to try and distance that character from myself just a little. And no, McCool is not meant as a pun.

Edited by Captain McCool

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Talk about reviving an OLD thread!

:rolleyes:

This one was 30 November 2005, 4.5 YEARS ago . . .

Anyways, my "real name" is the one I use on here, w/ the period-nickname given by Foxe.

John

"Tartan

Jack"

And the name that I have NO IDEA where it originally came from (seems to have been invented around 1691, probably of Scots who fled Scotland- to the Americas and England, by the occurrences around that period):

Wages

Used to also be spelled Wagers and Wager. In the very early 1700s, there was a Royal Navy Admiral named "Admiral Wager," who was stationed in the Caribbean. I'd like to know more about him!

(I wonder if we are physically related ;) )

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

No kidding! I didn't think we still had any old threads! Boy was I wrong! Bloody hell this is an old one! I feel old m'self!

Thought I posted on this one ages ago, too. Oh, well. Will post now.

M' real name is Stacy, derived from Anastasia which is Greek for "Resurrection".

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Alexander from the Greek for "Defender of Man".Etymologically, the name is derived from Αλέξανδρος Aléxandros, which is a compound of the Greek verb ἀλέξω (alexō) "protector of men", "to push back", "to hold off" and the noun ἀνδρός (andros), genitive of ἀνήρ (anēr) "man". It is an example of the widespread motif of Greek (or Indo-European more generally) names expressing "battle-prowess", in this case the ability to withstand or push back an enemy battle line. Appropriate seeing as I'm a Soldier just like my namesake.

Edited by Bloody Bill Flint

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

this is ssssooooo very old..........Reginald Kirton is my name the last name is weird i admit, but as i can tell it is scottish for "church-settlement" or "churchland"...which......funny enough is the exact name of the part of town i live in lololololol.......

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

(I wonder if we are physically related :huh: )If you're having physical relations with a dead guy I don't even want to know!!!

:P:unsure::rolleyes:

You know what I mean . . .

Descendant or the like.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

(I wonder if we are physically related huh.gif )If you're having physical relations with a dead guy I don't even want to know!!!

unsure.gif:rolleyes:unsure.gif

You know what I mean . . .

Descendant or the like.

Uh huh... suuuuuure.... tongue.gif

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Shana...like banana tongue.gif

know this, and yet ... always say Shay-na, like Rain-a.

So, kick me ...

"Now there is one thing every girl in the whole world whose name is Shana has in common with each other - we all hate the name Shawna. And we really hate when people call us Shawna. Remember it's Shana banana not Shawna banawna."

THIS CABIN-LAD'S GROWN HAGGARD, SO IN THE POT HE GOES AND FROM HIS SKIN WE'LL MAKE A LITTLE DRUM TO BEAT AS WE FIRE HUMAN HEADS FROM CANNONS AT OUR FOES. AND SET THE SEAS ABLAZE WITH BURNING RUM.

Now here's an old thread, with old names I sort of recognize, and new names I am also glad to see...

My name is Michael (yes, the Archangel - that's what Mom had in mind) Kloepfer.

Most of you from civilian life know me as Mikey. Yup, the Life cereal commercial stuck - which, oddly enough, only really bothers my sister...

Now my last name is where it gets trippy.

I have a couple German guitar students who finally showed me how to pronounce it in proper German, umlauts and all; though I dare not try myself, lest I sprain my tongue.

I have heard many tales over the years about the origin of the name Kloepfer.

From another named Kleopfer, I heard that when the family came to America, they split and some used the "oe" and some used the "eo." Interesting.

My two favorite stories about the origins of the name in German are:

* The clapper part of the church bell (loud and clamorous, yet simultaneously musical - I'm down with that.)

* The large, spatula-like implement that housewives used to beat the carpets to get the dust out. I don't care if it's accurate, it cracks me up.

So, my favorite literal translation of my name is "Mikey Rugbeater."

And there you have it.

Rummy3? Really?... Nancy?

"You mean... Audrey Farber...???"

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Okay, since everyone is doing the last name thing I will too.

My last name is also German. Fleckenstein.

fleck = spot or speck

in = in

stein = stone

A flecked stone. Granite.

There is a small castle on the southern Rhine hewn of solid granite. (I haven't researched the fact to check if it is indeed carved from solid granite.) The name of the castle? Fleckenstein of course. ;)

Fleckenstein.

fleck = spot or speck

in = in

stein = stone

Then, the Americanized version would be "Frecklestone."

Yer a hard woman, Silkie...but yer freckles are so adorable!

Edited by Nigel

Sir Nigel - aka "Sir Freelancealot"; aka "Ace of Cads"; aka "JACKPOT!!" (cha-CHING!)

"Mojitos BAD!...Lesbians with free rum GOOD!!!"

Fleckenstein.

fleck = spot or speck

in = in

stein = stone

Then, the Americanized version would be "Frecklestone."

Yer a hard woman, Silkie...but yer freckles are so adorable!

;);););)

As my mother (Edna McDonough) use to say ...if I could just get the freckles to blend I would have a wonderful tan. lol

Thought I had responded to this...but it seems not...

Okay...I am Robert Alan Curtis. I am the second Robert in the family...we tend to use names more than once. Family has been on these shores since 1637.

Meaning...Robert, according to those who actually get paid to know these things, is Old German (I knew an old German once...Herr Schmidt, principle of the school I went to when we were stationed in Germany) for "Bright Fame".

I'm still waiting to become famous...I'd even settle for "Dull Imfamy"

Alan is also Old German, for "Precious" Awww...

Curtis is Old French, for Courteous, and is possibly a court name, and was brought to England during the Norman Invasion. I suspect the family might have been involved in that...one of Billy-boy's (William I) hackers and slashers.

One of Blackbeard's boys, killed at Ocracoke, was a certain Joseph Curtice. I suspect him of being a distant relation (based on no evidence whatsoever), and I have adopted him. Trouble is, he never calls, never writes...family, eh?

Damn, thats sharp!