Malta!

Cap'n Pete Straw

You asked for luzzus? I got your luzzus right here....

513b2efe.jpg

941548f9.jpg

3ecddeef.jpg

Here is one in use -- a couple of fishermen out for the day...

3f512b35.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Okay, here is the last round... The temples. The oldest standing buildings on the face of this planet are all located on Malta and Gozo. Pyramids of Egypt? Stonhenge? Newborns!

Walking through these buildings is truly an emotional and unforgettable experience. It was after walking through these temples that I went and got my Maltese Cross tattoo...

First off, a shot of the temple of Hagar Qim:

b00368ed.jpg

The name "Hagar Qim" means "standing stones," which refers to the three huge stones that were originally all that could be seen of this (otherwise completely buried) temple when it was discovered in 1839. When the temple was eventually unearthed, these three stones were revealed to be over five meters tall.

c466c16e.jpg

Speaking of huge stones, it remains a mystery how these ancient temple builders moved these great slabs of stone. One megalith, on Hagar Qim's northeast wall, weighs an estimated 20 tons:

524942fe.jpg

And before we leave Hagar Qim (and I have a crapload more shots of its interior, etc.) here is a shot of some of the decorative style which the temple builders employed. Many of the rocks (including this low altar stone) were decorated with polka-dot indentations...

f2ff9032.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

A short (600 meter) downhill stroll from Hagar Qim takes you to another temple, Mnajdra (pronounces im-nyeh-dra). My regret is that these were the only two temples I was able to visit (there are even older ones on Malta and Gozo), but I am comforted that I at least saw these two.

f4b7e1a1.jpg

...and a shot of me in front of the Mnajdra entrance for scale...

2bb792c6.jpg

Okay, folks, that's it for me. I knocked off about 20 rolls of photographic film during my second trip to Malta (and it was a business trip -- so I also got a few hundred digital photos, as well as over 20 hours of video footage), but scanning the pictures, uploading to Photobucket and then over to the Pub is exhausting. I chose these highlights from my piles of photos, and hope you enjoy them.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

Cap'n Pete Straw! Your photos absolutely make me breathless. I am so looking forward to the day that I get to visit that island. By the looks of your photos, it is jam-packed with tons to see!

:)

Thanks so much for sharing! :( Here's to you and Malta!

Rummy3,

I am glad you enjoyed them. As I said, I have lots more, but these are more than representative of the rest.

Yes, there is a lot to see. I think I mentioned it before, but you simply must spend a weekend night in the non-stop street party throughout Paceville. Plan to see the ancient temples, but don't forget the modern churches. Lots and lots of museums -- try to see as many as possible. And take a walking tour of Mdina.

There is also a charter boat service that runs a pirate cruise! Do not miss a chance to see Malta from the sea.

I cannot begin to remember what I already posted here.... and I did not begin to shed light on the island's rich culture and scenic must-sees.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 2 months later...

Apparently, over the weekend or late last week, there was a tragic accident in a Air & Water show in Malta. As a Comcast internet user, I was able to watch a video clip (with no news commentary, just edited and enhanced home video footage) of two airplanes colliding over the Grand Harbor (I assume the location from the video footage).

One of the planes was cut in half in the dramatic footage. One person died, from what I could gather.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, it was publicly unveiled at RF2, and since the photo has been posted on the Internet, it is technically "out there."

Here is my Maltese Cross tattoo...

MDXMARKSSPOT.jpg

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I understand that the Knights of Malta - the actual historic Order - still exists as a society within the Catholic Church. Their purpose is charitable, not martial.

I'm a Knight of Malta, but within Freemasonry. "Knight of Malta" is one of the Chivalric Orders of Freemasonry, open to Masons of the Christian faith. We don't claim a direct lineage with these knights of old, though: only a spititual heritage.

I'm also a Masonic Knight Templar. And a Past Commander.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Thanks for the info.

I see the original tattoo picture has been removed from the Internet, and this all links severed. Guess you'll all have to wait until RF3 and a LOT more liquor.

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg