Flintlock Pistol Holsters

Captain Midnight

I have pics of one of the holstered pistols recovered from the Whydah. How one would go about reconstructing one of these is a mystery to me. Suffice to say, it looks nothing like the holsters I've seen some renfolks wearing; it is almost reminscent of a saddle holster.

When you say saddle holster are we talking what the cav. called Pistol buckets during the 18th century?

If so, we've made a number of pairs and would be interested in seeing the pictures you have... maybe we can figure out something. Are the pics posted over at PB?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's more or less what I'm talking about. Somewhere around here Mad Jack posted a link to a pretty good rendition by a leather working of his acquaintence. Obviously, they can't be TOO difficult to make, but given the fact that originals exist, it would be best to make repros based directly off of those.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

The Whydah is about the only "solid" proof of a pistol hanging on a long piece of ribbon. Makes sense.

I don't see pirates throwing their pistols away after each shot.

Maybe there were mounted horse pirates with oversized pistols running around on the ship with their oversized guns stuck in their holsters? Sea horses? That would explain the spurs at the pirate faires and the rifle sized pistols!

"Without caffine, I'd have no personality at all"