Fencing anyone?

Silent

I took a fencing class once... does that count?

It was a beginners class, and I didn't do too badly at it. I was really surprised tho how much pysical stamina it takes, and how hard it is on the backs of the thighs... you really have to condidition your muscles to stay in the proper stance.

Gave it up because life became a bit too confusing and something had to go. Always kinda think I should get back into it. Hrm... maybe KSU has a fencing team?

NOAH: Wow... the whole world flooded in just less than a month, and us the only survivors! Hey... is that another... do you see another boat out there? Wait a minute... is that a... that's... are you seeing a skull and crossbones on that flag?

Ministry of Petty Offenses

Count me in. I studied the Classic French Foil discipline under a Master that had the temperment of a dance choreographer. :ph34r: Regardless of his perchant to apply blade in whip-like fashion to areas of the body not holding perfect position, he was very good at his craft. His mantra was,

" Teach the feet, the hands will follow."

...Or lay these bones in an unworthy urn, Tombless, with no rememberance over them: Either our history shall with full mouth Speak freely of our acts, or else our grave, Like a Turkish mute, shall have a toungueless mouth, Not worshipped with a waxen epitaph... King Henry V- William Shakespeare

'She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.'~Susanna Clarke

Attention! All formats of plot and characterizations produced under the monikers "Aurore Devareaux" or "Tempest Fitzgerald" are protected under the statutes of Copyright law. All Rights Reserved. F.T.M.

I traded fencing for lightsaber classes. The guy teaching us is a martial arts instructor. Now I have to "unlearn" my fencing poses because the stance is more centered for lightsabers.

Difference between East and West. :D

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I'm a member of a 17thC living history group called The Cavalier Society. We teach western martial arts begining with the Rapier (point only to begin with).

We just had a bunch of new members join.. all girls from the local university. It's good to be alive..

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Aye....

I fence... learned the classic styles from Saviolo, DeGrassi, etc....

I was a local Fencing champion in the early 90s 'round my area...

No Foil... Epee and Schlager style...

I also do some cutlass....

I need ta get back into it more, as I have slacked off due to other obligations...

Tis grande fun...!

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Anyone else out there Fence? I've been doing it for a little bit now, thought I should learn how to use a sword being a pyrate an all. I love it, it's a lot of fun.

....I fenced 40 acres of cow pasture, I used a post hole digger n' a spud bar n' a pair of fence dykes. So.....whats ya use da sword fer mate? :blink:

victors%20spoils.jpg

YER ANKLES WILL LOOK LOVELY BEHIND YER EARS LASSIE! HAR! HAR! HAR!

I traded fencing for lightsaber classes.

No kidding?

Do you have to learn backflips and such?

"Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained."

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Does Lucas have a TM on the term lightsaber? I would expect so. I'm curious if the instructor has to have a license to use the term... Anyway, it sounds goofy, but fun. I suppose he's really teaching some form of kendo.

I've been kicking around the idea for months now. Pop over to Plunder and you can follow my trail of inquiries. I'm hoping to get a smallsword from Popinjay's for birthday/xmas.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I did some stage fencing. I guess the principle it the same as real fencing, only half of the lessons were in how to make it look like you hit the person you're duelling without actually coming near to them. I'd love to learn it for real. I had way too much fun with it. There's actually a video of me in practice . . . i'll have to go into my old alma mater and nag about getting it.

Does Lucas have a TM on the term lightsaber? I would expect so. I'm curious if the instructor has to have a license to use the term... Anyway, it sounds goofy, but fun. I suppose he's really teaching some form of kendo.

I've been kicking around the idea for months now. Pop over to Plunder and you can follow my trail of inquiries. I'm hoping to get a smallsword from Popinjay's for birthday/xmas.

Hey, yhose are prettyy flippin cool.

Petee-2.jpg

Yeah, I agree. I believe Monterey Jack pointed those out to me.

I can't find it right now, but I had found a company selling fencing masks that would do custom art on the mask. As an example they had one with the Union Jack. It would be silly pirate fun to have one painted with a skull and crossbones on it. :D

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

LucasFilm is pretty good to the fans. As long as we're not making money off the use of the term then it's okay.

It's a local group and there are no backflips involved (although I do know Ray Park who played Darth Maul and he's great at it). This old Jedi's spine wouldn't be able to stand it. :lol:

Mostly we do choreographed, stage-type fighting. Something fun for the kiddies (young and old) when we do charity events.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Fenced Foil, Epee, and Sabre in college. I liked Sabre best, Spanish style with a very upright posture. Very pirate-like.

What I enjoyed recently was stage combat! I took both a Rapier and Dagger class followed by a Broadsword class. Very flashy and fun and a great work out too! Don Preston was the instructor. "They Fight" is his group (you can use this for a web search). The only problem I had with the stage combat was my training in fencing. Ok, that wasn't my only problem but Don had to keep reminding me not to point my blade at the other persons vitals.

I fence!!!!!! I fight rapier mostly, I started with Olympic style and moved to a more traditional (1450-1600) style.

Delmar,

If I can be of help to any one new to the world of swords, let me know. I will share the little insight I have learned over the years.

Been fighting rapier and teaching for 20+ years. Practice schlager mostly, although I'm now using Del Tin blades and some sideword blades from Darksword Armoury. Also use ECW style blunts. I work from a couple of manuals, mostly Silver. There's a new book of interpretation out on Silver that I have, but haven't had chance to digest in detail yet. I've also worked from some of Terry Brown's work.

Classical style doesn't work for me. I hate the line and it prevents either a secondary weapon or bringing the arm around for a grapple or throw. I'm not interested in competiton. I work with the combat styles.

Hawkyns

;)

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

The group I'm with uses mostly the DelTin blades (42") for thrust (pointy end stuff) and Zamaro (sp) blades for side sword.

When a new member starts, they begin with "Tuck" (pointy end only and in a straight line movement). When they become proficient in that, they move to other forms. All of which come off the straight line of attack. Off hand, Dagger/Poinard, Cloak, Buckle, etc.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)