Fencing anyone?

Silent

LucasFilm is pretty good to the fans. As long as we're not making money off the use of the term then it's okay.

It's a local group and there are no backflips involved (although I do know Ray Park who played Darth Maul and he's great at it). This old Jedi's spine wouldn't be able to stand it. :o

Mostly we do choreographed, stage-type fighting. Something fun for the kiddies (young and old) when we do charity events.

:o Capt Grey...I think my jaw just went through the floor. (sorry...fan of Ray Park here)

I'm not a fencer or swordfighter myself, but I absolutely cannot pull my eyes from a good match (live, tv, movie). I feel the same draw to martial arts as well.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I've done SCA heavy weapons fighting.... and played with fencing..........

One................... do not bet on me in single combat..... I just ain't that good.......... BUT I can break a shield wall like you can't beleave.......

I wanna get a few mask... so I can use foils..... and "play"

fencing is ... cool... with "real swords" if you win.... the other guy dosen't wanna play next weekend.....................

The only problem I had with the stage combat was my training in fencing.  Ok, that wasn't my only problem but Don had to keep reminding me not to point my blade at the other persons vitals.

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I'm really interested in dropping the stage combat stuff and going back to fencing. I want to stick people. Intentionally missing them is too tough!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Studied katana for a number of years, and I find that it translates well to close-quarter cutlass work. Very hard to find anyone to play with, so I will have to teach my wife while I wait fer me powder monkey ta get old enough.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 3 weeks later...
Intentionally missing them is too tough!

It's like when I did Civil War re enactment..... to make a blank charge look like it had some "kick", you'd jerk the triger when you fired......

BAD HABIT.......

Now I have to re-learn proper triger control.......... Dang........

I want to stick people. Intentionally missing them is too tough!

That's why I prefer the WMA method. Stay on target and pul the shot at the last instant. Works better with edge than point, but I've always preferred edge over point. Sticking someone is so anticlimactic when you can put an edge across someone's belly and drop their innards round their ankles. Or slit the throat from ear to ear with one good flourish. :)

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Sticking someone is so anticlimactic

But it is so very quick and efficent.........

When I was in the SCA, I used a thrusting tip on my sword, but unfortunatly... it added a bit to much weight at the end of the sword.......(thus distroying it's speed ..... rats.....)

If I was realy trying to Kill someone, I'd got for a thrust, but slash at them if that target became avalible...... :ph34r:

Preference, I guess. I like to get inside my opponents point where I can use edge, hilt, or point. It's one of the advantages of using a shorter, curved blade. If I can't reach out and grab my opponent with my off hand, I'm too far away.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

But thats why I like using the point.... (I'm tall.... 6'3" so I have a good long reach) I don't want to let someone get that close..... with the point, I can keep them far away from me......If we get that close.... the advantage of my range is no longer there...... then I just have to fight dirty..... (they got mad at me in fencing when I "sorta" did that......)

I'd be interested if you could point (eeergh bad pun...) me to a web site that would explain .... for lack of a better word.... schlager "fencing". Like I typed, I've done SCA heavy weapons fighting, and fencing.... and have seen some .... I guess it would be schlagger.... not sure..... but the group doing it never "called back"..... stupid questions....... safety and such... ("Hey... you could poke someones eye out with that..." kinda thing) ... is it full contact... half speed, or what...... I think the group that I saw was using mask.... but they were sorta "cliqueish...." ..... I'm interested in OK..... how is it done.......

Dang.... didn't type out right.... but I hope you get the idea of what I'm asking.....

I recall addressing this in another topic thread... oh well...

I learned fencing & got rather good at it. I was somehow labeled the Guy To Beat. Once you are stuck with that label, you have to get good real fast.

Sadly, since moving out to the 'burbs several years ago I have not found a class out here... so I am rusty at it. Still have all the equipment and knowledge, just need the practice.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

OK slightly off topic.....

But I found an interesting page that explained how to make boffers....

They were high density foam over a fiberglass rod core, then covered with latex...... They sound like they could be made close enough to size (not big bulky, like the pvc and foam insulation ones...)

I know they would not sound right..... and would be a bit "Fake"..... but if you think about it.... so is a foil..... but at least you can fight with them without a mask, or a lot of armor........

Maybe use them to practice with then go to real metal weapons..... or just have fun playing with them......

I have the Foam and latex.... just gotta find the fiberglass rod..... see how it works..... (it may be a total "flop" or they might be fun, can't tell untill I make some and try them out..........)

It would be almost the same as fencing....