What instrument do ye play?

Mad Matt

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God sakes man....ye'v already broken it at ta' neck! Ya'l need more patience than that I tell ye...... :ph34r:

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Since I teach band to the little urchins (Elementary Grades) I have been playing on the following.

Trombone since 78.

Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Baritone, Drums, Sax, Recorder, and French Horn since the early 90s (College)

Conga Drums since late 90s.

My favorite playing styles: Salsa, Jazz, and Ancient Chants

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Have Parrot Bay, will travel.

WILL SHARE TOO!!!</span>

I play an 81 Paul.,a 2001 American Strat with a FR Trem. and have a 3 guitar mini collection., 1/2 scalers tuned in A. For those of you who dont play but want too., heres a URL for ya so ya got yer own Chorus!

Singing Horses

Just mouse click on the Bass Horse., Baritone., Tenor or Soprano horse to direct these ponies.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

Ahoy Mates, heart warming stories of musical talents.... myself, well, piano, soprano and alto recorder (they are old wooden things with great sounds-no jokes ya pirate scum), guitar(who doesn't try their hand at it mates?!)...and after singin' second soprano( which is strange in itself)-recordin' 5 albums and performin' over the years with many, many groups on stage--then bein' a blues singer til my partner off'd himself one night ( true-quit yer laughin you!).... I joined this group called N.Providence.

And their sound needed a harmonica (Harp)- seemed like a right nice thing to play I thought. It was a creative group just tryin' out their sound then. Warmest bunch of folks I tell ya.All smiles and pirate joy it was. Well, (sittin' back in me chair with a tavern pipe)I started spendin' money on different harps-- The Harp House of New Jersey-- oh now that's the place mates....great selection, honest dealin'( they never heard of pirates then he he).... with wooden reeds, and fine one key selection of harps....The idea of the chromo-harp-metal- just doesn't have the quality-- you gotta do it in key. Not everyone likes the same things though-- me, I just loves the music! And I be a free agent now.... oh that's like ah a PYRATE!

Cheers ya Pyrate scum, who loves ya baby!

p.s. I gots a tamborine.. like a guitar or a mandolin, everyone gots something hidden away?! How about you?

B)B)

Pyracy in all it's Glory,

Yers,

D.L.

aka DurtyLaFey

member of a few crewes....but that be a personal question.

Percussian,

Snare, bass, drum kit, chimes, triangle, zylophone,bells, brake drums,and a whole lot more had a great band teacher Mr. David L. Silver captin US Army Reserves and the cheif reason I finished High school. Belived that percussianist should read music and play more than just football season. I have no rytham but with much practice made the grade for 6 years through school. I want to learn bass guitar and the 88's as well as a harmonica.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

I plays all percussion fer one. Use ta play in the Pioneer Drum and Bugle Corp. fer competition many years. Also drum set in Swing band ana had me own set from Slingerland. Took state 3 years in a row fer solo ensamble competition fer drums in High School. I also play Trumpet, Saxaphone, Clarinet, bagpipes ana Didgeridoo.

Shoots anything that moves!!

Aye, strings and sings. :lol:

The lass playes the Bowed Psaltery and the Autoharp (Upright and not flat in the lap...)

She also tries to sing in Mezzo-Soprano to some extent. :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

quite impressive.... now whot does ye think of all us talented Pyrates?

Wish we could make a livin' outta it? Me personally,

I be pickin' out my street corner as I write this.... ha ha he he... B)

Pyracy in all it's Glory,

Yers,

D.L.

aka DurtyLaFey

member of a few crewes....but that be a personal question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cool drum kit Swifty.

Been playing for...well forever, since I was about 6 or 7 years old.

Played in alot of bands and did some short-lived session work because there aint' much money in it...hehe!

Played in rock, country, bluegrass and a little jazz bands(partial to classic rock) off and on over the years and gave it up for about 12 years. Then about 3 years ago I got the itch again and was introduced to Home software recording and the bug has bitten once again.

I have had numerous instruments and toys over the years which most of them have been sold. PA's, amps, guitars, & anything from Washtub Basses to Kazoos.

I recently picked up a new Greg Bennett LP copy that is amazing. Greg is a marketing genius and luthier that builds some terrific instruments.

Got a 1956 ole trutone archtop eqiupped with a P-90 style pup like the old melody makers, a '73 Harmony HH6691 rare acoustic, a Gibson/Epi Bass, a fender P-bass(modified), '85 Yamaha BB1600, Wurz spinnet piano, several amps Peaveys, Hartkes, looking at the new Crate Palominos (awesome Class A tube amps), J-Station for direct recording, various pedals, Behringer mixer, shure dynamic mics 57's-58's, tons of recording and mastering software, and more goodies to fill the need etc...

During the summer me and buddy of mine recorded a song about Pyrates', it's not a sea shanty or metal song but more of a Caribbean groove with character's(Pirate voices) we created for a more comical adventure. If'ns ya want to hear it I'll post it here if I can upload it to this forum or maybe just a link.

8889961564257193a222f0.gifmirageus1.gif

soprano and tenor recorder here and also a percussionist. can play a little on keyboards and i do sing and dance. couldn't live without music!

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

Played the violin for years, but never (regrettably) kept at it, so I am not much better than when I started.

My real learning curve spike occured was when we started my 5 year old daughter on the instrument (Suzuki Method), which meant that I basically had to learn at the same rate as she did. Since the Method says you only do not need to practice for an hour on days that you do not eat, I was keeping up with her for a couple years as she improved.

However, the Pupil became the Master. I stopped practicing, and never allowed her to stop. Now 16, she has utterly mastered the instrument, and is utterly fantastic at it. Plays First Chair in orchestra. Is a member of a garage band. Plays country/bluegrass fiddle like no-one's business. Gave her a (incredibly expensive!) electric violin for Christmas last year.

Me? I am back where I began again. I know how to play, but am not very good at it. My own violin sits under a thin layer of dust in my daughter's closet.

But I play the Jaw Harp ! Which makes me an asset when the country/bluegrass instruments come out! I have acquired a set of the Harps in various keys, and never ever chip my teeth (that's the real trick, folks!).

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

Dread Mach Brannigan

Sure I would like to hear that recording

if you can post a link or upload it. music

is a great thing and is fun I would like to

play some Island sounding stuff some time

as well. Glad  you like my drum set.

Swifty :huh:

:rolleyes:

Ok I'll post the link.

This is in the works to be re-mixed and mastered. The first minute of this is our band of Notorious Seadawgs' trying to bury th'er treasure before the music kicks in, So ye bin warned :unsure:

Hope ye enjoy!

http://www.guitaristworks.com/forum/files/..._final3_927.mp3

Aye thanks fer listening mate' Tis not me usual type 'o music and not thee best production I've mixed, but it sure wuz one fun song ta do.

I'ave a bunch 'o tunes I've recorded but tis is thee only Pyrate tune I've done. Get ye some drum mics and a mixer and maybe we can do a song or two over the net. Lots 'o fun layin down & sending tracks back and forth and finally comin' up wiv something from a rough draft.

I'ave a few mates' from all over the world that collab and play music...fun stuff! :ph34r:

Trying to master the bagpipes... I can squawk out a passable "Amazing Grace" currently...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

In another life, I played:

Trombone,

E flat Sax (self taught)

Piano

5 recorders

Fife

began the Coronet then lost interest

A lot of percussion instruments (to many to list)

Now:

Bodhran (self taught)

At least the bodhran is easy to tote around and looks appropriate with the garb.

Cheers

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com

Mad Jack,

I prefer the sounds of a solid wood alto recorder, though the plastic ones are not bad - the notes are more melodic with wood - at least in my humble opinion. Sopranos are good though, tis hard on my ears anymore with the high notes. Any reputable music store should be able to assist you in order/obtaining recorders.

With the bodhran, if the music stores in your area do not carry them in stock, they may be able to order them for you - though, in some stores, you may have to do some educating about the bodhran (some clerks know it as an irish hand drum, some don't have a clue). Some of the mail order celtic companies carry bodhrans and the instructional videos - shop around and find one that is right for you and your needs. Just bear in mind, humid weather does affect the tone and quality of the real skin heads.

Good luck in your shopping!

Cheers

Cap'n Emerald

Captain Emerald Shaunassey O' The Salty Kiss

www.TheLadiesoftheSaltyKiss.com