Because Captain Pirate is near. And a girl too so fear

Don't you dare to question me and I might let you live

I fight and kill those without skill

So surrender now...and bow!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play one with Fiberskyn rather than goatskin. Fiberskyn drums aren't all that reactive to weather changes and don't have to be constantly tuned, so they are much more consistent. I've played both and much prefer the Fiberskyn.

Also, it's important to have tippers that fit. I mailordered a Cooperman tipper and damn - the thing was humongous. I could barely grip it, much less use the bloody thing. And it's a good idea to pay attention to the weight of your tipper. A lot of folks get very discouraged because even after lots of practice, they can barely play one song before getting exhausted. I started with a heavier tipper and built up my stamina to the point where I could play using a heavier tipper for about six hours with few breaks. However, for those of you who aren't gluttons for punishment, start with a lighter tipper.

RHJMap.jpg

I have a realy cheap concertina.....(East German) can play a few Pyraty songs... unfortunatly... concertinas are not period... Rats.....they just sound so right...... Jack... Jill's other half, let me play his concertina.... dang a whole world of difference.... Think I will get a book to figure it out more...... practice , and if I can keep at it... then get a better one.......

Jill.... where can I find the music to Billy Bones?

Good question. I think Jack figured it out on his own after listening to Skip's CD. I'm not sure you can do that particular song on a concertina, though. Concertinas don't exactly have a great range - you can pretty much play the base line and not much else. Skip plays a melodeon (which is basically a mini accordion with buttons rather than piano keys)so he's able to play the full melody of a song.

RHJMap.jpg

Hmmmmmm...since I am supposed to be a moderator of this forum should throw in my 2 cents worth....

I play guitar, a bit of banjo, learing the tin whistle...and if we go back to the old days...tuba, piano, accordian, baritone and various and sundry other kinds of musical stuff....

I want a set of bagpipes....thats next...though a bodhran would be nice..:)

darkrose

The Enigmatic Rogue...and may always be<br />

<br />

"I kissed her... once with passion... once with love... and told her good bye"

• 2 weeks later...

I am an inveterate musical instrument dabbler. I own lots of stuff: a few guitars, a banjo, a half dozen penny whistles and fifes, a very broken gaelic harp and my pride and joy, a nyckelharpa. That's a Swedish keyed fiddle. 16 strings, 12 of them sympathetic strings like a sitar; one bass drone string and only 3 strings that are actually bowed. And instead of pressing directly on the strings like a violin, you press buttons, something like an accordion. It all adds up to very big, very cool sound. Now, if I would only practice more.

Our youngest son is in 4th grade, and is learning to play the bass fiddle. It's too big to fit on the bus, so he gets dropped off and picked on orchestra days. This may have been his plan all along.

I play the gitfiddle, that's guitar for the layman lol.

Played in several bands for about 20 years, in the process of realizing I'm too old for rock'n'roll and passing my classic Ovation Viper electric on to my oldest son who is 17.... rock on.

May take up the clarinet.... yes I'm kidding...

Recently I am more into blowing things up than playing music... I'm talking special effects, not terrorism btw.

Although....

:lol:

skeletonav.gif

I can only sing. My hubby can play Keyboard, bass, guitar, flute, alto sax, piano and I know a couple more Im missing. He played in a jazz band for a couple of years and I sang in a country one..Not that Im singing anymore cept round the house.. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

I be learnin' the guitar as of late, but I be quite proficient in playin' the vibraphone. I also played the B flat concert clarinet fer some time, but it has run the blockade of me memory banks since. I be interested in learning all musical instruments, though, and I do be plannin' on takin' up the clarinet again.

P.S.

I, like many of ye scurvy dogs out here, also sing, but not well, by the reactions I be gettin'. No matter; anybody who complains gets a good keel-haulin'.

Well, I jes' aquired a new piece o' gear fer me bass arsenal; ZOOM 506II Bass Multi-effects Pedal. It's got a whole ton o' crap from distortion to phaser, to jes' about any sort o' wierd sound, it's fun.

As fer me singin', I kin do a number o' styles, rangin' from clean vocals (I'm a bass by the way), to death growls.

"A Merry Life To Savage Men Who Stand by Freedom's Right,

Fuiling Rum To Arm Our Drive And Raid This Ship In Sight. YARRR!"

-"Voyage" by Verbal Deception

Well, I jes' aquired a new piece o' gear fer me bass arsenal; ZOOM 506II Bass Multi-effects Pedal. It's got a whole ton o' crap from distortion to phaser, to jes' about any sort o' wierd sound, it's fun.

Aye mate. I gots me one 'o those and dey good fer practicing with a set of good cans but I must be warning ye, they can produce alot 'o irritatin' digital noize. I've tried mine with and w/o a power supply and 4 AA's works de best jest make sure dey are fresh. I've recorded with mine and get some decent tones however don't git to too close to de monitor or other analog devices cause it can pick up 60 cycle hums and digital fragments especially with da mid frequency presets.

8889961564257193a222f0.gifmirageus1.gif