Questions and Advice for Paradise 2005

Jib

Friends,

I have never been to Pirates in Paradise but I am going to make the attempt this year. I have thousands of questions and I'm looking for help and advice. Any details you can share, no matter how small, would be fantastic! I always find that you learn a certain 'culture' that follows a festival. Until you do you can end up looking foolish.

Any details on places to stay in Key West and the other nearby Keys would be wonderful. I've read those already posted on the list and I'm taking them into consideration. If you had a good experience at a certain hotel let me know. If you can suggest a B&B share the wealth. If you know of any deals feel free to give me the high lights.

Food: What would you suggest? Cheap eats are great but I'm not going to eat BK every day either. A good meal at fair price is a treasure indeed. What have you enjoyed? What is available at the Fort?

Every Pirate needs an adult beverage. What can I find at the Fort? My wife drinks red wine and red wine alone, is she out of luck? What sort of prices can we find. Happy hour? Pubs, clubs, and bars that embrace the pirate theme and serve a hearty drink? Anything off the beach?

Parking is rumored to be a nightmare. Can anyone shed some light on this? I know that some hotels offer parking in my home port. I don't mind a walk but I would hate to be parking 3 or 4 miles to the entrance. What do you pay for parking? Does the Fort have parking?

What about the events at the Fort? It seem that the Thieves Market and the Fort are the focal point for the festival... Is this true or just me? What is the cost to enter? Are there events within that require an additional fare? I assume that performers do a hat pass but if I wanted to see another event how much will it set me back? What times to things kick off?

If you can suggest 3 things not miss, what would they be? What would suggest I not waste my time and money on? What is the Pirates in Paradise High Point?

Weapons, costumes, theme realted items: Should I bring it all? One of worst experiences was attending a Ren Faire without knowing that they had a no weapons policy. I entered and was roughly grabbed and pushed back out with a minimal explaination. A simple "Don't bring it" works for me. Can you think of a few items that I should bring (serious please). I assume sun block is a must but do I need to bring my own water? Bug spray?

How about the interaction between cast and patron? Smooth and seemless or defined? From most fo the pictures I have seen it looks like most people travel in pretty big crews and stick to themselves. Of course, not having attended before this could be just my impression. Do people just come together in small groups for meals and drinks, small bonfires or beach parties, or is this pretty much an event where things are invitation only? Either way is fine. i just don't want walk into anything with egg in my beard and make a bigger fool of myself than I already do. How about the people in Key West, do they embrace the Festival or ignore it? Is it safe to say that the entire island is over run with pirates or is this just restricted to the Fort and environs? How bawdy is the Pirates in Paradise Festival on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being nude pole dancing!). And for the record, I'm no prude.

Thanks to all. Remember that no detail is too trival. Perhaps we'll meet at the Festival, and if we do I would be willing buy you a drink for your advice!

Boy, that's a lot of territory to cover.

First, the fort. There is ample parking at the fort. There will be a pub there in the fort with beer, wine and mead (I believe). In contrast to past years the Village Market will be set up on the parade ground there, so the events for that will all be in one place.

Definitely find a hotel with parking. Our group always stayed at the Southernmost. A great outpost and a big festival sponsor. It's a ways to everything but in the evening it's a quick stagger home. Parking at the fort is included in admission. For Duval Street gigs we parked over by the Seafood company area in a little lot with a guy with no teeth and drunk. $5 a day and about two blocks from Duval and about three to Capt. Tony's and Mallory Square. Jimmy Buffett's recording studio is on the corner near there.

The pirates are all great. Many have their own crewes but non are clique-ish. Re-enactors get along with entertainers and entertainers get along with the casual t-shirted pirate. It's a fun time and everyone is great.

As for things not to miss - I never miss Captain Tony's (it's our crewe's outpost during the festival), Mel Fisher's Museum, the Wrecker's Historeum is interesting - part theater and part treasure excavation, sunset at Mallory Square, of course. I've never been to Hemingway House even though I've been to KW a ton of times or Pirate Soul. Pirate Soul is supposed to be really well done, though keep your visit quiet because they refuse to sponsor PiP, even for a $100 sponsor level.

All the events are fun - definitely get out on a sunset sail on the Wolf... it's the best sail adventure there. The Conch Train tour is fun if you've never been to KW - lots of great stories and you can get off and on any place you want.

For cheap eats - Burger King is right near Pier House. If you're at the Southernmost you can't beat breakfast right around the corner, next to the mini mart - great Cuban coffee and Cuban bread sandwiches. About $6 for breakfast. Can't beat it.

As for weapons - we wear ours everywhere - only one bar ever asked us to check them and we high tailed it out of there. If you have powder weapons you've found nirvana. The fort loves powder play - you must be checked out by the safety officer and fort personnel to be able to shoot - but there are plenty of pirates with pistols and cannons.

The whole town is very laid back (hey, it is Key West). Everyone loves pirates, though few know the festival is going on. So be ready to do a speil to help promote it - especially to the gazillion tourists who pour off the cruise ships.

I think that's it off the top of my head. Oh, if you're at Captain Tony's on a Friday and Saturday, swing over an say hi to him. He's usually over at the counter by the door in the gift area.

Anyone else want to chime in? Cascabel?

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Ahoy to ye, Jib and welcome aboard....

Ye got far too many questions for me to answer properly on this here message board, but feel free to e-mail me personally, and I'll help ya however I can. Suffice to say that you will have a great time and meet some fine shipmates at the event. Be sure to find me at the event, and I'll help you as much as possible, and glad to do it. I'm easy to find...., I'll be dressed like a pirate !!!!!

But seriously, just ask around. Everyone knows me, so I won't be hard to locate. If you e-mail me when the event gets close, I will let you know where I will be staying so that you can find me even easier.

For starters, There is a Denny's and also an IHOP which I sometimes use to avoid both high prices and Burger Barf type places. Decent chow, and fair prices.....

You will find that most of us will be happy to advise and assist newcomers. It is a very friendly event.

>>>>> Cascabel

Not much damage - some downed trees and flooding. The main Duval establishments were up and running within a couple days from what I hear. Otherwise, it's just normal as it ever gets down there.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

capt...don't forget annies (or annes???) that little place just around the parking lot at southernmost! (cuban subs, breakfast, etc)

awesome food! and you can not beat the price!!!

1461668bfsjvui84v.jpg

"This calls for a particularly subtle blend of psychology & extereme violence." -Vivian, The Young Ones

This is my first year, but I also hear that you can add the following...

There is a man that sells conch fritters at the aquarium.

Captain Jack sells shark's teeth at sundown on Mallory.

Dominique and his flying cats Mallory Square docks.

A day tour of the Dry Tortugas.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Actually, there is a conch fritter stand at the entrance to the aquarium. They're great. A lot of restaurants sell them too. I'm not going to say who has the best as I don't want to start a fight among my favorites.

I personally like the aquarium too. It's right across from the Wrecker's Historeum and they package the attractions together. They have regular feeding of the rays and sharks. It's a very traditional 50s style place. Not much has changed over the years.

If you need new pirate gear while you're there stop at FantaSea Weddings. The stuff can be a little more garish than authentic wear but they have some great accessories and nice hats.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

I've never been to the festival but may attempt to go this year as I am newly single and got nothing better to do. As for Key West you can plan on a few things. Very cramped streets and parking that's a pain, if you find a good lot don't move unless you have to. Walking is a must unless you want to rent a scooter which are everywhere, so where comfortable shoes. Most of the restraunts are pretty good but can be on the high end for dinner, but lunches aren't bad, try Two Friends Patio for a good meal they are on Front Street. I may just be sleeping in my truck behind the Mel Fisher Museum, I know the owners unless they have the boats in for work. Don't miss the Mel Fisher Museum it's a great show they have made some improvements. The ability to pick up a 300 year old gold bar should not be missed. Oh yea if you have never been to Key West, the Gay section of Duval starts at the 800 block and most of the hotels in the area are orientated that way, don't laugh but the bars in that area have some great Drag shows that are hilarious, No I don't bat left field, but other family member does. If there is anything else you want to know just drop me an email. As for Damage there may be a few business' that are closed, to many storms to close together just killed them financially.

Have Fun

Looks like much of Key West is booked tight for the weekend. Thinking about trying a B&B. Other 'Keys' as a location for hotel space has alos been suggested. I would like to stay within 30 minutes of the Key if not on KW.