Now HERE'S a Fascinating Word

Mission

accismus (ak-SIZ-muhs) noun - Feigning disinterest in something while actually desiring it.

[Etymology: Greek akkismos (coyness or affectation)]

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It doesn't really interest me to be able to use interesting words," he said with accismus.

Actually, in conversation, I only use about a third to half the words I use when writing. I do this for two reasons. 1) When speaking I am not always exactly sure I am using the world precisely as I mean to and 2) most people don't understand what I'm saying when I use them. :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

B)

I had never actually heard of this word before today. I have three or four others I got in Word-A-Day that I found similarly interesting. Think of it as the pyrate's own vocabulary builder. (If you think of it at all.) B)

Mission_banner5.JPG

godwottery (god-WOT-uhr-ee) noun 1. Gardening marked by an affected and elaborate style. 2. Affected use of archaic language.

The Travelocity gnome has apparently left his life living amidst the godwottery behind to make a quick buck.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I know, ain't it cool? I had never heard of that when I read it either. It also sounds like something they'd use on NPR.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I don't actually listen to NPR anymore (it leans so farrrrr left), but I did notice when I listened to it that they are more erudite than most media outlets. (And perhaps a tad supercilious as well.)

Hinkypunks. That's a cool word that Rawlings made up (I think she made it up).

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree with your thoughts on NPR, though I do like to listen once in a while to shows that I feel aren't aren't supercilious as you noted (mainly for Prairie Home Companion). That's a show that's not afraid to laugh at itself, in an understated sort of way (i.e. the Ketchup Advisory Board).

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

You know, I have never heard the Prarie Home Companion. I used to listen to a 2 hour jazz show that came on before the news and I'd sometimes listen to the news.

Mission_banner5.JPG

PHC is pretty good. I remember Matt Groening poking fun at it during an episode of the Simpsons prior to me taking the time to listen to it. I like it though. It's subdued humor, and has some very good skits (the private investigator bit, called Guy Noir is very well done).

I used to listen to NPR in Colorado alot (they weren't so far left that I couldn't stand it), as they had a good mix of shows, news, and music (classical, jazz, new age with Hearts of Space, etc). Within the past year or so, they even split the stations (a very good move), to one with all news, and the other with all music and shows. I catch the latter station on the 'net when I focus on my studies.

Indeed, I'm thinking hinkypunk might be a Rowlingism.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

godwottery (god-WOT-uhr-ee) noun 1. Gardening marked by an affected and elaborate style. 2. Affected use of archaic language.

Godwattery! That's what I say the next morning after having worked hard in the garden all the previous day, and am feeling like I've been hit by a mack truck. :huh:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I was greatly disappointed not to be able to find the word "bonky" in any online dictionary. (And yet I was able to use it in a sentence today, so I believe I understand the definition... well, at least I understand the idea, but I don't feel I can accurately give it.) So instead...

Wonky (wonk-ee) adjective (informal) 1. shaky, weak or unsatisfactory 2. not straight or level

Some of the results of my engineering work on my bathroom mirror are a tad wonky.

Mission_banner5.JPG

"It doesn't really interest me to be able to use interesting words," he said with accismus.

Actually, in conversation, I only use about a third to half the words I use when writing. I do this for two reasons. 1) When speaking I am not always exactly sure I am using the world precisely as I mean to and 2) most people don't understand what I'm saying when I use them. B)

Thats seems to me odd Mission. To be honest I am a much better story teller than writer but I scratch that praticular itch with short stories I share amongst my friends (those who will look past my spelling grammer and punctuation errors). I find my vocabulary actually remains my own. I normally write from a first person perspective and with the exception of period statments talk and think as I would. Pherhaps this is due to why I write. Witch I find mostly to answer questions I have. As an example I wrote a story about and ECW soldier found in a mass grave body number 16. I wanted to know what he thought saw did how he lived so I made it up. There are other stories I wanna write but keep running into trouble with one about the German Zepplin Mission to Africa during WW1 the damn near obliguatory World War two alt. history and so forth but always to answer a question. Must be just me.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Ell, the only real word ta me be ARR!!!! Intrestin aint it?

That would make for very limited conversations, unless everyone around you used ARR in similar fashion. Kind of like the smurfs.

apposite (AP-uh-zit or uh-POZ-it) adjective [From Latin appositus] - Highly appropriate; relevant

It is apposite for folks on this board to read Johnson's A General History of the Pyrates when developing a re-enacting character.

Mission_banner5.JPG

It is apposite we posit an opposite approach to the composite closet problem.

:wacko:

(Long live bonkiness!)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ell, the only real word ta me be ARR!!!! Intrestin aint it?

That would make for very limited conversations, unless everyone around you used ARR in similar fashion. Kind of like the smurfs.

apposite (AP-uh-zit or uh-POZ-it) adjective [From Latin appositus] - Highly appropriate; relevant

It is apposite for folks on this board to read Johnson's A General History of the Pyrates when developing a re-enacting character.

Arrrggghhhhh!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

While I have waded amongst it, I had never heard of the word "riparian" before today. However, a similar sounding word that I have always liked, is tangentally appropriate to the site and which I have actually used in conversation is:

riposte (rih-POST), noun 1. A quick thrust given after parrying an opponent's lunge in fencing. 2. A quick and effective reply by word or act.

Gregory McDonald's Inspector Flynn has an agile sense of humor making good use of odd connections and punchy ripostes.

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg