Fistfights

blackjohn

Like the title says, how many fistfights have you been in?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Like the title says, how many fistfights have you been in?

• 5+

You HAVE to be kidding, right, Blackjohn?  B)

...let's just say, "More than More than 5"... B)   B)

Well, I debated using something higher, like 10 or 20, but a) my previous discussion left me wondering if I was unusual and B) after a dozen, don't you loose track? ;)

No - I remember each and every one...but then, it's kind of what I do...

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

When I was a kid, my Mom taught me "Good boys don't fight" but being the tallest in class, the short guys wanted to fight..... the Yard Moniter always stopped the fight before anything happened.... but it sucked that all the kids were rooting for the smaller guy....

When I joined the Army (Infantry) I learned how to fight dirty....

I've only been in one fight where any blows were thrown, and after kicking the guy in the gut, he didn't want to play anymore.

I was in an argument with a guy in a bar once, told him I didn't want to talk to him anymore, when he tried to grab me and pull me off my seat, I knocked his hand away, and his wife quickly pulled him outta the bar.... what I didn't know at the time, was that I'd opened my Buck knife with the other hand. He didn't see the knife, but His wife did..... (I stopped carrying the Buck after that....)

I've been sucker pucned in the nose twice by short drunks, but they both got dragged off befor I got my turn to hit them back.

I've been in a lot of "almost" fights, But most of the time it isn't worth the effort, or going to jail for.

I can only count one fist fight back in Jr High. All thru High School, (mind you we're talkin late 70s San Jose here) students were allowed to carry knives and only had it taken away after you misused it. I've always carried one in one form or other, which pretty much cuts down on the "fist" portion of the fight for me.

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

Interesting topic! I was surprised to see the amount of people who are/were habitual fist-fighters.

I was in one fight in the fifth grade. He was the class bully, was twice my size and to this day I can't believe I did it. I got pounded, but not before I gave him a black eye. I've also had some "fights" that ended with me punching once, and then it was pretty much over. I'm not bragging, it was pathetic high school stuff.

Now, I always try to diffuse the situation with humor as much as possible. I also love to use the expression, "fights are for kids, people our age commit assault." Then I usually make a comment about how I like their car. It's worked so far. Not that I get into that many "fight" situations! B)

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

I am a Christian myself, but alas, it has never kept me from having to defend myself or somone I Love on more than one occation.

Grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood and I was always percieved to be a "tough-guy", even though I am really not at all. So people tried to make a name for themselves in school by picking on me, or picking a fight with me, and i may not be a tough guy, but I wont let people walk over me either.

And I suppose i might have a slight bit of a temper... B)

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Hurr hurr.......er.....how many? ;);) ......LOADS!!......

I runs a rock night fer one...........an' I'm very handy wi' me fists....

I Don't go's startin' a rumble mind......but I normally finishes 'em....

Started early at school in a crap part o' wales....Just got fed up wi' bein' pushed around....so, got inta shotokan at a young age. Had me own dojo at 18 an' taught Shoto-ki-jitsu fer three years at third dan.....(trumpet sounds)..toot!....lol

Had a few bashes wi' you 'squadie' types petee....us 'fly boys' gotta show ye the principle o' aerodynamics sometimes....hurr hurrr...

;)

Cap'n o' the JADES RISC'S @ anchorage at the port o' Cardiff, Wales, Uk.

Piratesig1.jpg

Had a few bashes wi' you 'squadie' types petee....us 'fly boys' gotta show ye the principle o' aerodynamics sometimes....hurr hurrr...

;)

Squadie? I guess thats british fer grunt? ;) Where you in the air force?

Dad was air force in Vietnam. There wasn't any other branch of the service ta fight with, so we had to settle fer college guys. ;)

Petee-2.jpg

Christians five : lions ten

ye know fighting doesnt solve anything and I'm sorry I ever hit anyone so sorry I even would run home and cry hiding in my room or even in the garage where no one would hear me feeling sad it was always some jerk wanna be tough guy and lkike patric said I weren't tall but I were in my youth bigger than em all. and they toughians all wanted to proove somethin. i remember goofing around in shop class in eighth grade and getting in trouble from the teacher and he punche dennis in the shoulder and then me and I didn't move no reaction to his punch pissed him off so he invited me back to his desk (now mind you corporal punishment were still quite abundant in my time) and so he had me grab me ankles and when he brought his paddle at full speed upon my arse and the class were all laughing at me and lovin the moment and all... well that second the paddle struck it did in fact snap and break, right there on my arse. The entire class went silent and in the teachers frustration I stood said thank you, walked back to me stool and went back to mechanical drawing something ergh other. Mr Williams were hi name and he looked like an Italian Gorilla. I mean nothing against Italian Gorillas but he just stared at me fer the longest time . I'm not a fighter I am a lover and i seen red more times than I ever wanted too. I do however like ending a dispute with one nicely located punch...

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

Outside of the ring, only five instances. But one was against five opponents in the parking lot of an arena hosting a tournament. Does that make it nine?

Inside the ring, semi-pro/pro: 187 (lots of tournaments)

Amateur: 300+ (all tournaments)

Let's just say that I had issues following a really messy divorce: lots of innocent/ignorant guys took a beating that I should have given to someone else. After about seven years of almost continual combat, I woke up one day and didn’t like myself. Quit the tournament scene that day. Burned/melted all of the swag garnered from the tourneys. Pitched what was left into the Gulf of Mexico; fine great lump of pot-metal it was, too. Since then, I have only been in one fracas, when I got sucker-punched while managing a restaurant by a whacked-out grouper fisherman. My newly developed self control shattered, but the fellow was restrained before I could cut loose. Lucky guy; really lucky guy… The only scar that I have from all of my fight years is the cut under my left eye given to me by that fisherman, the only guy I didn’t hit back.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Well I can happily say that I have never thrown a fist. I was pushed and threatened by the biggest kid in 7th grade, I literally told him to hit me because there was no way I could fight him. It left him so puzzled I just walked away. The next day he gave me a ride home and said that he never met anyone who stood up to him that way.

Now a little later in my school life you could say I was running with the wrong group of people running the wrong kind of product. Unfortunately I was carrying more than one gun and alot of product and was forced to shoot someone to protect myself. There are still alive as far as I know but he doesn't walk that well.

To this day I have never lifted a finger in anger, it's just not worth it.

I was flipping through The Craft of the Warrior yesterday and...

"The Chinese have a term, Chih Ke, which means if you are forced into a conflict, to fight is wrong and to not fight is wrong, i.e., one must not do anything more or less than is necessary to resolve the hostilities."  If telling a joke will end the conflict, the warrior tells a joke.  If drawing a sword is necessary, the warrior uses the sword with just enough power and precision to stop the fray.

That's pretty much how I feel about it.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in more than my share of scraps over the years but I have mellowed out of the past 10 years or so and have not been in one since then, thereabouts. Well mid - late 90sish.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

• 3 weeks later...

just one, but it was with my sister when we were kids!

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

been in a few. then again I was a bouncer for 7 years. Its not that I ever wanted to hit anyone, but after someone comming at me, breaking a pool cue over my back, I thought it was justified.

And has a side note, and Im not a wiccan/withc whatever, but doesnt she erealize that all that evil/bad spells will come back to her?

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

One fight when I was a kid with one of the neighborhood bullies who kept picking on me. One day, I got fed up and jumped him (he was twice my size) and beat the living snot out of him. Bloodied his nose and broke his glasses (yes, he wore glasses, folks, and I hit him... but I remind you: he was a bully!). It turned out that he used his height to intimidate others, but he couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag. I ended up feeling really sorry for him and -- perhaps this is ironic considering how he treated me -- I still feel sorry for him to this day.

The only other fight that comes to mind (I voted "2 fistfights") was in a college theatre class over a disagreement -- I was goofing off and accidentally crushed some guy's cigarette while he was smoking it (it was in the classroom, and he was being a dick... but whatever). He was wicked pissed because that had been his only cigarette, and he started hitting me. I was primarily blocking his punches, trying to end the fight -- we were actually evenly matched, as I countered everything he threw, but it took a third person (the teacher) to break up the fight. We settled down, and while we were preparing to shake hands over the whole thing, Mister Dick threw a sucker punch right to my face. Sported a black eye for a week.

Him I do not feel sorry for. I hope he got a lot more cigarettes and smoked them all. And then found out what the Surgeon General was warning everyone about.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg