Pride of Baltimore II

Coastie04

I just came across this horrible image on the Pride's website. Some of you may have heard already, since it is a bit dated, but I've been underway much of the last month and haven't had much in the way of current news.

StNaizaire1.gif

It's an aweful sight. I did a search for more info and found a series of pictures here and some more info here. Luckily (and miraculously) no one was injured. Looking at the deck and how little room there is between all that wreckage, it truely is amazing. Granted, the pictures were taken after they collected all of the rigging and piled it on deck for the motor back to port.

Best of luck to all the crew in putting her back together!

Coastie B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Just found this page with good photos of the wreckage. Looking at the transom and the spar that went through it, it's a good thing that nobody was standing on the leewared side. when the rig failed. Seamanship brought the boat to port safely, but luck prevented casualties.

Coastie B)

Ah Coastie. Ye be a pearl of knowledge lad. Glad to see ye haven't lost the touch on yon far shore. Tis sad to see such wreckage but gladdens me heart oone be injured.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Man I hate to see that. I can't imagin the ammount of force it would take to snap the mast like that. I was lucky enough about a year ago when she was done here to be able to go out on her. It was only for about an hour or so and we never left the harbor but it was enough to get me hooked. I hope to see her again soon.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

Yes, it does take a tremendous amount of force, but not as much as you might think. There is usually enough force acting on a mast to snap it, but it's counterbalanced by an equal force going the opposite direction. In this case, the bobstay iron on the bowsprit broke, causing a failure of the sprit. This killed the heads'ls and also got rid of all the forward-pulling pressure. At this point, without the heads'ls, the Pride rounded up into the wind, and the square-tops'l provided even more backpressure on the foremast. This caused the foremast to carry, and the main soon followed. At least, this is how I understand it.

Found this more recent pic of the schooner. She's looking better and they're awaiting bids to make new spars to re-rig her.

bhodi%20736.jpg

Even more photos of the dismasting and efforts to save all spars and sails, as well as commentary are available here

Coastie :ph34r: