Sea Chests

Captain Midnight

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, Josh, we were talking about wooden trunks until you piped up. So it's all YOUR fault. :P

Greg, I didn't make their stays. They made them all by themselves. Of course I taught them how. Aren't they cute?

<proud mama face>

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

Or buoyant & bodiced.  :P

Sorry, someone just HAD to go there at some point in this thread, so I thought I'd get it out of the way!

Grammercy fer that thought!

just in case and fer what it be worth fer looks and the likes cheap yeh free frieght even better try these on!

wood trunk at Target

Bouyant! God bless ye matey!

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• 2 years later...

I have been reading The Age of Sail by W.R. Thrower (1972) and he said something I found interesting regarding seamen's sea chests:

"Many men joining a ship had little more than the clothes they stood in and the 'bundle' containing their few possessions. More senior men and petty officers, as well as apprentices and first-timers, had a sea chest. Sea chests were not necessarily plain wooden boxes, they were often very well made and fitted inside at the whim of the owner. A fine example of one believed to have been used by [Admiral Robert] Blake [1599—1657] in the 17th century, is shown in Fig 25." (Thrower, p. 74)

Here is the figure, scanned from the book:

Blake%20Sea%20Chest.jpg

It actually looks to me a bit like various descriptions I have read of Medicine Chests. Although my impression is that they often had a top compartment with a hinged lid for storing bottles.

I would like to note that Thrower has at times (IMHO) a tendency to make sweeping statements that I'm not certain other sources I've read would completely agree with. He also does a less than stellar job of citing some of his sources which I find annoying. (I wonder if the above info also came from a placard or description in the Blake Museum in Bridgewater, Somerset? Alas, he doesn't say.)

Still, I find this book quite comprehensive in its way as well as being very interesting. So I wanted to share the comment.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Hmm. I'm starting to wonder if I can trust Thrower's research. It's too bad, because this particular book contains an extensive amount of info on the day-to-day life of seamen from the Navy, merchant ships, privateers and pirates. (Although it is not organized quite as nicely as that list, but it still has more info than any similar book I've seen.) I wonder how the museum has the chest labeled?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

i saw the movie treasure island. it was the later one made. in it they show the sea chest belonging to the pirate who was rooming at the inn. it wasn't very large something a sailor could pick up and carry on one shoulder. having been in the navy and having to move your whole worldly possions in one tripand on your back if it didn't fit in the sea bag or on your person there was no room in your life for it. you learn to keep only what you had to have.

• 11 months later...
That's ok John <sniff> I don't mind you not agreeing with my every word... :lol:

:wacko:

Ed... haha... too bad there's this big pond in our way, because I'd really like to shake your hand someday.

Ok, I wouldn't be suprised if you felt this way. If necessity is a spur to ingenuity and the mother of invention, then disagreement is a spur to research and the mother of new ideas.

I've seen a sea-chest from the Vasa (roughly contemporary with the Plymouth colony) which was basically a square box like the ones in the pictures I posted. Are the Plymouth ones radically different John?

I don't know, I'd have to look at Lisa's Wasa book (she lived in Sweden for a year and has actually seen the Wasa). Since there is so much in this Plymouth book, I'll have to do a little bit at a time.

"The simplest form of construction of case pieces is the nailed configuration. It was quick, efficient and less expensive than joined furniture."

"Dovetailed joints on boxes and chests were not commonly seen until the end of the century, and rarely then. Nailed construction was used well into the nineteenth century in the more rural and isolated communities in the United States." Bold, my addition...

This is from A Cubberd, Four Joyne Stools & Other Smalle Thinges: The Material Culture of Plymouth Colony. It's a great book, and don't let the title fool you. There's a wealth of info on things later than the Pilgrims.

The book has a good 15 pages on chests, though only the first few resemble anything close to a sea chest. Frankly, I'm surprised that nailed construction was so popular.

Digging up an old thread....

Nails used for chests, any ideas what?

The old square, forged style? Copper or brass?

Think their were ever brass wood screws used?

I know copper and brass nails/tacks were used aboard ships, just wondered if the same goes for sea chests...

most of the images I've found of sea chests, they are painted so you can't see what might be holding them together...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

as i recall from a class i took a couple years ago. nails were more common than turn screws, but they were both used. iron fasteners mostly, copper nails would bend too easily in this application- not sure about brass. copper or brass rivets would have been used in some finer pieces.

Another method that can be used which I learned from my Great Grandfather is a locking pin dowel rod joint where you use a larger dowel to originally join the boards of the chest and then drill through the sides through the side and dowel rod and place a smaller dowel through both pieces of the sides to lock the peg permanently ...solid and rugged wearing joint for uses that require a joint you can depend upon! Just my humble opinion :wacko:

WRT construction methods, have any of you taken a look at the Foxfire books? Seems the first one had an article on building using wooden pins. I think it was building a cabin, but the method should work on smaller projects.

JoePyratA.gif

• The Charles Towne Few - We shall sail... The sea will be our empire.

as i recall from a class i took a couple years ago. nails were more common than turn screws, but they were both used. iron fasteners mostly, copper nails would bend too easily in this application- not sure about brass. copper or brass rivets would have been used in some finer pieces.

So, using these would be the ticket...

nails.jpg

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

well reading this thread ..Eye learned that older chest more to our period were a 90 ' box and not slanted in like the ones illistrated on marlineSpike.com.. The guy from that site said he is not accepting orders...We he wants to many duckets any way... The finger joint was brought up also being too modern.. reguardless I can still customize...

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."