My favorite pirate song!

I am not sayin it's the best listed here but I am sayin it's the best listed here that I know! Ya know how I know? It's impossible to read the words without tryin to immitate Bob and actually sing along while reading. Huzzah!

From Bob Marley (many years from now.........)

"Redemption Song"

Old pirates, yes, they rob I;

Sold I to the merchant ships,

Minutes after they took I

From the bottomless pit.

But my hand was made strong

By the 'and of the Almighty.

We forward in this generation

Triumphantly.

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom? -

'Cause all I ever have:

Redemption songs;

Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.

Have no fear for atomic energy,

'Cause none of them can stop the time.

How long shall they kill our prophets,

While we stand aside and look? Ooh!

Some say it's just a part of it:

We've got to fulfil de book.

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom? -

'Cause all I ever have:

Redemption songs;

Redemption songs;

Redemption songs.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our mind.

Wo! Have no fear for atomic energy,

'Cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.

How long shall they kill our prophets,

While we stand aside and look?

Yes, some say it's just a part of it:

We've got to fulfil de book.

Won't you help to sing

Dese songs of freedom? -

'Cause all I ever had:

Redemption songs -

All I ever had:

Redemption songs:

These songs of freedom,

Songs of freedom.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I tried and I tried I just coul'nt get through all the postings on this fer certs thread. So be told that all the shared shanty's be of similar songs still sung on and today we can hears'em as if they be written in the sea of dreams and heard on the mountains tops. Me Favorite isn't a shanty at all, But a song, a song of freedom and the times. From a place we are and a man now gone. By Bob Marley sung by his Walers tis "Redemption Song". Fer ifin ya can't read the words without singing along in rythm and tempo it be not worth rememberin.

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

• 4 weeks later...

Wal , I could not slog thru all tha post. I just wanted ta say that me favorite song be " The Dark Lady" as performed by The Shantyman. It can be found on his disc called 'Pirate's Life'. Me favorite shanty be "Ned's Shanty" written by Mike Price and found on the Blarney Brother's disc- 'A Fine Line Between Ambition and Delusion'.

Bottoms up me lads. ;)

;)

well nothing beats " Yo Ho a pirates life for me" from The Pirates of the Carribean ride in Orlando/Cali

but i like Seven Deadly Sins by Flogging Molly, and even though i mostly listen to techno, i still have to listen to Flogging Molly, they are amazing and i hope they come to Cincinnati soon.

:ph34r:

"Pirate's Life For Me" did ye say? Ye like that song? Ye think ye have even heard that song? Let me tell ye about it.

I have wanted to share this somewhere in this BB, but have not found the best place. I hesitated to start a new thread, but perhaps this is as good a place as any.

A million years ago (30? More?) when I was a kid, my parents took us to Disney World in Florida. Blah, blah, blah, a hundred stories.... but at one point, they gave my sister and I a handful of ride tickets, told us to go nuts for an hour, and meet us at a particular rendesvous point.

I made a beeline for "The Pirates of the Carribean" which had just opened to the public for the very first time that morning. I was to be among the very first people to ever go on that ride! I was so excited! Skeleton pirates, animatronic fighting pirates, ships fighting stormy seas in the distance -- to this day, many of the images from the first half of the ride remain burned into my memory, even though you might think the average person would have forgotten them... because...

...the little boats in which we were riding came out of the tunnel, into a pirate town! Singing drunken pirates! Drunken pirates cuddling happy pigs! Drunks precariously balanced on top of casks! Singing! Everywhere singing "Yo, ho! Yo, ho! A pirate's life for me!"

I was blown away by the majesty of the room. It was fantastic! I was even impressed when they stopped the boats, so that we were able to sit in the room and listen to the song -- the whole song, again and again. And again. And again. AND AGAIN And it repeated on a never-ending loop, over and over and over and over...

And then the adults on the ride began to complain, and it was clear that we were not supposed to be stopped. After all, some of the boats were only a few feet ahead inside the next tunnel, with nothing to look at, which seemed boring to me.. at least we had something to listen to.... but that song gets REAL boring after awhile. And we were there for quite awhile.

Anyway, we were stuck in that room for over an hour. On my watch I was able to monitor the deadline with my parents approach and pass. And still I listened to that song. That damned song.

Eventually, a bunch of park workers waded into the ride and pulled the boats out, one at a time. The ones in the back they pulled backwards out the entrance, but we were just over the halfway point, I guess, because we were the last boat to be pulled out the exit.

The ride was then closed down, and I do not know when they reopened it. Security had been alerted to my absence, my parents freaked out and everyone searched for me all afternoon. After not being able to find my family, I simply used up the rest of my tickets on other rides, and then simply went back to the hotel room, where they found me later. (My Dad was pissed! He checked my story, and apparently got a very hearthy apology from park staff, and I think a free family meal out of the deal)

Many (many!) years later, when I started renting Disney Sing-A-Long videos for my kids, one had the "It's a Pirate's Life For Me" song on it, and I was amazed how many o f the lyrics I still had burned into the back of my brain.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

"Pirate's Life For Me" did ye say? Ye like that song? Ye think ye have even heard that song? Let me tell ye about it.

I have wanted to share this somewhere in this BB, but have not found the best place. I hesitated to start a new thread, but perhaps this is as good a place as any.

A million years ago (30? More?) when I was a kid, my parents took us to Disney World in Florida. Blah, blah, blah, a hundred stories.... but at one point, they gave my sister and I a handful of ride tickets, told us to go nuts for an hour, and meet us at a particular rendesvous point.

I made a beeline for "The Pirates of the Carribean" which had just opened to the public for the very first time that morning. I was to be among the very first people to ever go on that ride! I was so excited! Skeleton pirates, animatronic fighting pirates, ships fighting stormy seas in the distance -- to this day, many of the images from the first half of the ride remain burned into my memory, even though you might think the average person would have forgotten them... because...

...the little boats in which we were riding came out of the tunnel, into a pirate town! Singing drunken pirates! Drunken pirates cuddling happy pigs! Drunks precariously balanced on top of casks! Singing! Everywhere singing "Yo, ho! Yo, ho! A pirate's life for me!"

I was blown away by the majesty of the room. It was fantastic! I was even impressed when they stopped the boats, so that we were able to sit in the room and listen to the song -- the whole song, again and again. And again. And again. AND AGAIN And it repeated on a never-ending loop, over and over and over and over...

And then the adults on the ride began to complain, and it was clear that we were not supposed to be stopped. After all, some of the boats were only a few feet ahead inside the next tunnel, with nothing to look at, which seemed boring to me.. at least we had something to listen to.... but that song gets REAL boring after awhile. And we were there for quite awhile.

Anyway, we were stuck in that room for over an hour. On my watch I was able to monitor the deadline with my parents approach and pass. And still I listened to that song. That damned song.

Eventually, a bunch of park workers waded into the ride and pulled the boats out, one at a time. The ones in the back they pulled backwards out the entrance, but we were just over the halfway point, I guess, because we were the last boat to be pulled out the exit.

The ride was then closed down, and I do not know when they reopened it. Security had been alerted to my absence, my parents freaked out and everyone searched for me all afternoon. After not being able to find my family, I simply used up the rest of my tickets on other rides, and then simply went back to the hotel room, where they found me later. (My Dad was pissed! He checked my story, and apparently got a very hearthy apology from park staff, and I think a free family meal out of the deal)

Many (many!) years later, when I started renting Disney Sing-A-Long videos for my kids, one had the "It's a Pirate's Life For Me" song on it, and I was amazed how many o f the lyrics I still had burned into the back of my brain.

I dont know if i should feel sorry or just glad that you still like the song.....i been to walt disnery world almost 17 times ( i am spoiled i know) and the one and ONLY ONE reason why i still go to the Magic Kingdom is for POTC: the ride. Nothing beats to this day. I think my record is 15x in a row..there was no line. Anyway..great story and i am glad that your kids are being exposed to Pirates at a young age, i discover my love for all things pirates till high school...or now because i still be in high school. But yes to sum it all up...GREAT STORY B)

I dont know if i should feel sorry or just glad that you still like the song.....i been to walt disnery world almost 17 times ( i am spoiled i know) and the one and ONLY ONE reason why i still go to the Magic Kingdom is for POTC: the ride. Nothing beats to this day. I think my record is 15x in a row..there was no line. Anyway..great story and i am glad that your kids are being exposed to Pirates at a young age, i discover my love for all things pirates till high school...or now because i still be in high school. But yes to sum it all up...GREAT STORY :ph34r:

Fifteen times in a row? Yet I bet I logged more time in that ride on my one "ride," than you did in all your trips. :ph34r:

I really want to go back and experience the ride a second time.... but I fear the ride may be cursed for me.... :ph34r:

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

This Be in reference to Longarm's posting of Oct. 18th of Last Year- Firstly, Well Met, Sir-I believe We Had the Pleasure at PIP in Key West, if I'm not Very Much Mistaken- which I Oft Times am- But Anyway, I believe the Song Ye Seek May Be "Sir Andrew Barton" which According to "The Book of Pirate Songs" by Stuart M. Frank, is Possibley the Earliest Surviving Pirate Ballad in the English Language and a Direct Ancestor of the Better Known, More Oft Performed "Henry Martin"The Tune Associated with this Song is a Scottish Jig , "The Fair Flower of Northumberland" and it is a Child's Ballad, #167 to be Specific. I cannot Type Out all 66 Stanzas for You, But I will go the First Four:

When Flora, with Her fragrant flowers,

Bedeckt the earth so trim and gay,

And Neptune, with his dainty Showers,

Came to present the month of May

King Henry Would a-hunting ride;

Over the river of Thames past he,

Upon a mountain-top also

Did walk,some pleasure for to see.

Where forty Merchants he espy'd,

With fifty sail, come towards him,

Who then no sooner were arriv'd,

But on their Knees did thus complain.

"An't please Your Grace, we cannot sail

To France no voyage ,to be sure,

But Sir Andrew Barton makes us Quail,

And robs us of our merchant-ware."

Did Your Grandfathers Song Go anything Like That?

All the Best to You Always- Brant Johnson, AKA Roger the Red of the Port Royal Privateers :rolleyes:

"For I have dipped My Hands in Muddy Waters, and Must a Pirate be- A short but Merry Life shall be My Motto!"- Bartholomew Roberts

The above is a great story. I've never been to Disneyland or world at all, I would love to someday.

There's been lots of great songs mentioned and lyrics posted here! One thing that surprises me is no mention of Jimmy Buffet. I just got one of his cd's (can't remember the title, but it's a best of type cd) and just heard "A Pirate Looks at 40" and I loved it, and can relate to it.

Any of you like Jimmy Buffet?

Fancy

...I just got one of his cd's (can't remember the title, but it's a best of type cd) and just heard "A Pirate Looks at 40" and I loved it, and can relate to it.

Any of you like Jimmy Buffet?

Er, yes... at least in that I can look (back) at 40.

..Oh! I'm also rather fond of margueritas (and can mix up a REAL mean batch of 'em).

04de8cfe.jpg

FH1040.jpg

I am rather fond of the song Barrett's privateers and I believe it shares some parallels with todays Canadian navy ... :huh:

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

Anything by the Pyrates Royale, though if I had ta choose me favorites, I'd say the top five would be Santianno, Fiddler's Green, Twiddles :D , Paddy West, and, of course, Kat Fairbank's haunting rendition of The Boatman.

:D

The Wit and Wisdom of Capt. Jack Sparrow:

The deepest circle of hell is reserved for betrayers and mutineers.

Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Will Turner: You cheated.

Jack Sparrow: [shrugs] Pirate.

New old favorite...

I finally bought meself a copy of Captain Bogg and Salty's, Kevin Hendrickson and Paul Iannotti's' earlier Portland pirate Rock n' Roll Band...

Pirate Jenny- Never-Sea Land (1996)

"We sail and sail and never see land.

We never got rich, cause we didn't have a plan.

Now the treasure just rusts in the corner of the galleon."

Other gems:

Smiling Skull

Sensitive Pirates No More

A Pirate's Life is Peaceful (until someone cuts you up)

available from Amazon

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a few of my favourites have already had a mention - Barrett's Privateers, one mention of Henry Martin and High Barbary (for those distressed by the ending, it's been filked - there are now at least two versions where the pirates win!)

Muppets Treasure Island proved good plundering for my pirate group, we sing "Shiver Me Timbers" and "Professional Pirate", although professional pirate needed some work on the lyrics before it fitted us.

But nobody seems to have mentioned The Black Freighter/ Pirate Jenny. Now there's a cheerful song. That lovely sweet bit at the end (especially in the original German) where they ask her who will die and she answers "Alle".

Aye, Pyrate Jenny. My persona borrowed a bit from that one!...

All the night through, through the noise and to-do

You wonder who is that person that lives up there?

And you see me stepping out in the morning

Looking nice with a ribbon in my hair

And the ship

The Black Freighter

runs a flag up its masthead

and a cheer rings the air

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg