The Caribbean or any other tropical place

Christine

Anyone ever been there and brought their pirate garb with them? That's something I would love to do some day. Run along the beach in pirate garb, walk thru the foilage with my pirate hat on. And, of course, take some cool pictures while doing all this. :D I could always just find some beach here in California that comes close to that of the tropical islands. But there is nothing like going to the real place. The closest I came was Hawaii when I was 13. I'd love to go back some day...... :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I've had similar fantasies but not of the pirate kind. Get to know your vintage clothier.

I'm involved with 40's/50's music myself and I have amassed a large collection of vintage clothing of that period. I'm a bit over that phase of "living the era" except for stage wear but, it was fun. People looked at me funny but I was dliberately trying to get their attention. it really messed with the old people who used to dress that way back in the day.

Of course you will have a hard time finding anything made aroud 17th/18th century and I'd worry that such clothes would disintegrate but having a real article of something that was around and used during the pirate era....that is the closest connection you will ever get.

The other end of the coin is you're living a fantasy. Well....we all are, aren't we? Except, I think of high school where kids were dressing goth, you know, with the ruffly poet shirts and eyeliner. To me, it just didn't seem real.

The bottom line is...are you doing this to satisfy yourself or to entertain other people. careful not to get the two confused.

SHIP2-1.jpg

This is definitely for myself, not to please anyone else. It would be even better to find a secluded beach to do this. I would just use me own garb that I already have. I've just always thought it fun to do. :D I just read about the Catalina pirate weekend coming up, I should definitely look into that. I've always wanted to go to Catalina Island anyway. But even better for it to be a pirate fest going on as well. :D

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

Spent a week in Jamaica over the summer, several days of it in Port Royal. Dressed in pirate garb most of the time, and was warmly welcomed by the locals, who appreciate their pirate history... it was very cool!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Had the pleasure of being with Captain Morgan in Port Royal and other parts of Jamaica in gear. Been to the Cayman Islands four times in gear, Roatan, Guanaja, Posada del Sol, Belize, Cozumel, and The Bahamas. A large part of our crewe will be doing Puerto Rico in April in costume. Been lucky in that respect. Everyone loves pirates everywhere I've gone and I usually just pack the pirate gear and a leave the civilian attire home.

This is one of my favorite shots from the Bay Islands off Honduras...

beachpirates.jpg

The on the beach shots are definitely the ones you'll cherish most... the ship in the photo was The Ocean Spirit - this was a publicity shot we did for them - the irony was the ship was dragging anchor at the time and almost lopped off the top of the nation's biggest treasure - it's reef.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Thanks! That was more than a few years ago, but the guys in the photo were some of the best pirates I've ever known. The guy with the concertina in particular. Weaver Dial could cast a spell on anyone. One time we were supposed to appear before an entire gym of middle schoolers. As we were trying to think of what we could do in a cavernous gym with one mike, we hear roaring laughter from the crowd. Weaver had drifted in, pulled a wind up policeman out of his sea bag of tricks, put it down on the floor and then comedically ran from this little cop with a billy club. The kids went nuts. Saved our butts that day... still miss the guy but learned sooo much about entertaining as a pirate.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

This thread sounds like our dream thats coming true. A tropical beach technically is any where in the world up to 23 degrees above or below the equator. We bought our beach at 10 degrees north ., definitely tropical., theres 225 fruit bearing coconuts on it. Its not much only 168 feet of beach., we go every year ., and will be going again on April 17th 06. We are working on some things and it will take us 3 more years before we can make the final leap of faith and go live there.

My cannon maker "The Royaliste " hooked me up with ., did complete my guns and we did ship them., and the 2- 340lb barrels are there now !!! (For the Sea-Wall)., The old english swivel is there also., and the new bronze HMS Victory cannon., are a bit small and will be decorative in the bar area. (However will will bring them out for firing when we fire the Port and Straboard sea-wall cannons during festivities)

We are building a small pirate themed Scuba resort there...., so the employees will be in "Garb " daily. One small catch ., its in the Philippines. This means a passport., and a very very very long flight., however once there your money is 50 to 1 and spends that way., If anyone ever wants to go.,there is much to see., including 7107 islands.

Its an English speaking country., and San Miguel makes a really great beer., and Tanduhay is a sweet Rhum.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be dressing up for Halloween here in the Bahamas. Grand Bahama Island has a pirate tradition, but no one seems to revel in it here. It's not like New Providence where the Pirates of Nassau Museum is. Anyway, we'll see what sort of reaction there is. They don't seem to mind POTC filming here, and spreading around a little $$$, but I get the distinct feeling that their pirate history is considered a very black page of the past.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Ahoy Mates....

The Carribean is a wonderful place. Of all the places I have been, I LOVE St. Johns Island. It's a short jaunt by boat from St. Thomas. What makes this island so beautiful, is that 80% of the island is a nature preserve. If you ever get a chance, head down there. The island is very rustic, just what the Pirates would have found ! B)

I just read about the Catalina pirate weekend coming up, I should definitely look into that. I've always wanted to go to Catalina Island anyway. But even better for it to be a pirate fest going on as well.

Christine! Now and then Turner Classic Movies shows their "One Reel Wonders" between features, and one of them (I have it taped) is about the Pirate Weekend on Catalina. It's one of those great old 40's newsreels, showing all the celebs living it up with chicks in pirate costumes everywhere. Mickey Rooney is there, Errol Flynn, and many more that I forget. But it's a riot.

newbannersigtar0db.gif

I'll be dressing up for Halloween here in the Bahamas. Grand Bahama Island has a pirate tradition, but no one seems to revel in it here. It's not like New Providence where the Pirates of Nassau Museum is. Anyway, we'll see what sort of reaction there is. They don't seem to mind POTC filming here, and spreading around a little $$$, but I get the distinct feeling that their pirate history is considered a very black page of the past.

I asked around a little bit a some of the islands I've been to. It seems that the pirate history is closely tied to rum running and then into modern day drug running. The latter of which everyone is trying to avoid or down play or at least show that it's dwindling.

Also mentioned was something to the effect of people not being interested in the tourist attractions located in their own backyard. ie: "thats what the tourists do, not the locals."

are you doing this to satisfy yourself or to entertain other people

Who's to impress or entertain but our own self before the curtain falls(takes a bow) I agree with ya christine.. :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."