PIRATE MOVIES

Capt. Flint

Ahoy all.. The Capt. here wants to know what be ye favorite pirate, oops,, uhh I mean privateer movie of all time. if ye don,t have a favorite, then tell us a few of your best picks. Personally speaking, I enjoy a lot of them. My favorites are... Capt. Blood.... The Black swan.... Against all flags... and, even Cut throat Island.... Also has anyone heard of a new pirate film coming soon, staring Russell crow. I heard some rumors, but no hard facts... Let me know....... The Capt.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorites:

The Black Swan

Captain Blood

Muppet Treasure Island

Those three I can never watch too many times. :rolleyes:

I also like the Masterpiece Theatre version of Frenchman's Creek.

Melusine de la Mer

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Aye, Capt'n Flint, the answer be right under yer nose....

"Also has anyone heard of a new pirate film coming soon, staring Russell crow. I heard some rumors, but no hard facts... Let me know....... The Capt."

Me first postin on this here section be about the Russel Crow movie.

It be called "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" It be moved back to November if it's site be believed, I thought it orriginally was due in port this summer. The site below be a teaser, since the promised site be not up and running in full riggin yet. But be warned, Russell Crow be fighting the Pirates, not one of them, he be a King's Officer.

http://www.masterandcommanderthefarsideoftheworld.com/

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

my favorite movies are The Black Swan, Cpt. Blood The sea Hawk The Spanish Main Few versions of treasure island including the newest version where all are killed except Jim Hawkins Long john Silver and Ben Gun, yellow beard and cutthroat Island ... however there be one questions i have been havin and that is where is the foreign di Adventuri de Mary Read i have been trying to get that one or mybe to see it on me czble service and it is very difficult if not impossible to find

I be a big fan of the Hornblower series, especially the first four movies. Cutthroat Island has some great swashbuckling scenes and a bit of good sailing, though realism is out the window (it's still fun). Also, for a humorous pirate flick, I like Disney's Blackbeard's Ghost. Obviously the classics, such as the Crimson Pirate are near the top of my list as well. Anything with good sailing scenes steals my heart.

Coastie04

"Scratch 'em if you got 'em."

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I didn't much like Cutthroat Island at first, but the more I watch it, the more it grows on me. :rolleyes:

Would you believe I've never seen Against All Flags from beginning to end? I always manage to catch it on TV in the middle or end. And I hear it's one of the top pirate movies!

Melusine de la Mer

Lorelei,

I search TMC every couple weeks to see if "Against All Flags" is coming up. It's one of my absolute favorites! What a cast! What a Romp! What I wouln't give to be there....

Love n kisses,

Katey O'T

I do like "Against All Flags" -- love Maureen O'Hara's boots, that Scottish governess, and Anthony Quinn. Unfortunately -- Errol Flynn was a little past his prime and it showed.

Long time ago I saw "The King's Pirate" with Doug McClure, and I rememer liking it alot. But at the time I had a terrible crush on Doug McClure so that may have greatly influenced my opinion (fell in love with him first as Trampas from The Virginian). I figured out later the movie was a re-make of "Against All Flags". Would like to see it again sometime to update my opinion (and get a fresh dose of a young, handsome Doug McClure).

But my favorite pirate movies are:

"The Buccaneer" - the second version with Yul Brynner (the first version is good too, with Frederick March, but this one is better as far as I'm concerned) -- this is one of the few pirate movies that show an historical pirate with any sort of accuracy. Charlton Heston as Andrew Jackson, is great too. And Lorne Greene has a small role as an obnoxious character -- very fun to watch!

and

"Swashbucklers" -- starring Robert Shaw as Red Ned Lynch -- gosh he was a hunk too, and Genevieve Bujold as the heroine -- there's a great sword fight with her in her petticoats in the tide against Lynch. Also one of the Bridges lads make a great comic relief (can't remember if it's Jeff or Beau -- but it was one of Lloyd's offspring). Then there's the Kola Nut guy (if yer old enough to remember the commercials) -- Geoffrey Holder -- with his collar of knives. Very intimidating. And a very young, hunky James Earl Jones. Peter Boyle makes a really great bad guy. And I remember the lad with the stainless steel, long, sharp fingernails -- he shows up in my nightmares once in a while.

Blackheartedly yrs,

--Jamaica Rose

"Don't blame me! It was sinking when I got there!"

--Jamaica Rose

Editor of No Quarter Given - since 1993

http://www.noquartergiven.net/

"Bringing a little pirate history into everyone's life"

Find No Quarter Given

... on Facebook: facebook.com/noquartergiven

... and on Twitter: @NoQuarterGiven

I forgot all about ... The Buccaneer.... I thought it was a great film. I also thought that Yul Brynner did a fantastic job. I love this movie and try to watch it every time it comes on. Which, in my opinion, is far to seldom. Thanks for reminding me about it. I love the outfit Brynner has on when he comes to get his men ouit of prison so they can fight with the Americans. It was a great costume with an even better color. But, I have always been partial to green. I cannot believe I forgot about this one. Again, thanks for reminding me about it....The Capt.

Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of Roman Polanski's Pirates. To me, Captain Red is the perfect pirate stereotype, with his pegleg and ability to butcher the english language while interjecting pirate slang. It takes a lot for a actor to portray a believable cliche, but Walter Matthau pulls it off admirably. Combine this with his absolutely humorless sidekick, the Frog, and the completely pompus Don Alfonso, and this movie is just a blast to watch.

Just my 2 cents.

I AM BILGEMUNKY

Thus far, my favorite three pirate movies are, in order of preference:

Captain Blood

The Black Pirate [silent film, but really well made!]

The Crimson Pirate

Morick Towain, Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Morick Towain

IBoRP #116

Captain of the Pirate Brethren of Texas

Long time ago I saw "The King's Pirate" with Doug McClure, and I rememer liking it alot.

I remember seeing that one too, and I liked it! It was a fun, Hollywood pirates kind of movie.

I think it's so funny how Doug McClure is parodied on The Simpsons (as the character Troy McClure).

Melusine de la Mer

I'll try not to be braggin' too much but me an me wench recently purchased a vest worn by Yul Brenner in the movie "The Buccaneer". The funny thing is that most of the youngin's that work for us don't even know who Yul Brenner is...

Along with the vest came a publicity photo head shot of Yul from the movie... and he had har! <g>

Though it's, like the Princess Bride, not actually a pirate movie, the Three Musketeers is a fun one. Definitely one of the more memorable scenes for me is when they are all on the ship and two sailors recognize "Porthose the Pirate" and jump overboard rather than fight. Can't get too much better than that.

Coastie04

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also forgot to say i also like Blackbeard*s ghost eventhough Peter Ustinov d8d not really do the character all that justuice also the movie about a boy who is accidentally goes back into time at the time of Blackbeard on his flag ship the Queen Anne*s Revenge and also there is an updated version of The Master of Ballantrye where the older son fals in whith Blackbeard and gets half of his loot however I find that very hard to believe that ole Blackbeard would have allowed that noble upstart to get on doubloon from him also the two veresions ofThe Frenchman*s Creek a very good portrayal of a romanticised pirate captain the ones that dislike the most are The Princess and the Pirate reminded me too much of a U.S.O.show featuring Bob hope and the worst one the many versions of The pirates of Penzance I*ll tell ye many parts of that show makes me wanna puke

:D The Princess and the Pirate is a guilty pleasure for me! Not as good a parody as Muppet Treasure Island, but I like a lot of old Bob Hope movies.

I also like The Pirate with Gene Kelly and Judy Garland--mostly because of Gene Kelly. :rolleyes:

Melusine de la Mer

I will have to agree with Jamaica Rose on this one. "The Swashbuckler" with Robert Shaw and a host (and I do mean host) of stars... why, there's James Earl Jones *my faoverite scene, Jamaica, is where Red Ned (Shaw) and Nick Debrett (Jones) are chasing after Maj. Folley's (yes that was his name... Major Folley, played by BEAU Bridges) carriage, climbing aboard, doing away with the coachmen, and swinging into the coach next to the Major, all while spewin' forth randy little limericks.

Also, ye have Genevieve Bujold *before her mental breakdown* and Peter Boyle... as well as a young Angelica Huston in her very first screen role .. she says not a word thoughout the entire film, but her presence as the evil Lord Durant's mistriss is chilling...(shades of Morticia Addams), and also Avery Schrieber and Tom Clancy *of the Clancy Brothers, not the espionage novelist ..harharhar... if ya listen closely, ye can even hear him in the background on several of the shipboard scenes shantyin' away) .. and of course, the biggest star of the movie, the Golden Hind II as "The Blarney Cock".

I love this movie because I remember when it came out, way back in '76, it was playin' on HBO, and I watched it over 20 times that month.. harhahrhar... and I just now found it on DVD at Barnes & Noble.

Guess what I'll be watchin' tonight !!

Keep yer riggin' taut and yer wenches taught !!

Splinter Zatara

p.s... Speakin' of wenches, one o' the best exchanges in the whole movie occurs between two unnamed pyrates, extra's if'n ya will, who are watching Genevieve Bujolks *as Jane Barnet* cat-fightin' with a barmaid over a stolen brooch, and they be bettin' on the outcome:

1st pyrate: "My money's on the little whore..."

2nd pyrate: "That's no whore, that's Lord Barnet's daughter..."

1st pyrate: "Argh..one man's daughter is another man's whore..."

Now that's Pyratical !!!!

I collect pirate movies mostly

taped off tv and have quite a

lot,I'm interested in trading

for titles I dont have-good

pic&sound quality PAL or NTSC

VHS.I live in the UK.My tapes

are PAL but I can get any I trade with American contacts

converted to NTSC.If anyone has

pirate movies to trade please

send me a list and I'll do the

same.

arthurread@bushinternet.com

I don't know if comedic pirate movies count but one my favorites is Yellow beard wich has a few of the Montey Python's crew in some of the key rolls.

As for newer movies I am kind of partial to cutthroat island ,lots of action fast paced and noisy ..

Lord above please send a dove with wings as sharp as razors , to cuts the throats of them there blokes what sells bad booze to sailors ..

" Illigitimiti non carborundum . "

• 2 weeks later...