Monmouth caps

Master Sully

Does anyone out there in Pirate land make monmouth caps? It's a simple knit design cap much like a stocking cap. I can purchase a pattern, but I don't know how to knit. Can anyone help?

Thank You

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

• 6 months later...

I just bought a Monmouth Hat made by the famed Kirsty Bukland. Its really nice...

I paid about $36 dollars as it was in the UK and the dollar to pound exchange rate sucks...

Some may balk at that price for a knit hat.... but remember:

1) Kirsty Buckland is probably the world's authority on historical knit hats. You pay a premium for her fingers to do the knitting.

and

2) Its made entirely of hand spun and hand died %100 pure sheeps wool. You can make it out of Jo Anne's knitting wool, but even their %100 wool looks kind of funky as its machine processed and the dye is so consistant. Most of the commercially available wools are merino which is a liitle too fine and soft for knit hats...

So, correct yarn is going to set you back at least $6-$10 anyway.

Cheaper monmouths can be found. Check my website and follow the links to Hats/Tricorn for more info.

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Ok... I have been doing a little more research on Monmouth hats.

I also figured out why Kirsty Bucklands seem so expensive.

Aparently, the original hat was made with a real chunky fat 2-ply yarn. And it was knitted on US size 10 or Euro 6mm Needles. The stitch count is roughly 2 1/2 per inch or 1 every cm.

Most modern interpretations seem to be made with thinner commercial yarn which means that you get more stitches per inch than the original.

Checking around for proper hand spun/hand dyed 2-ply wool yarn...

Wow its expensive. I think you need about 120 Yards to make a hat. And correct yarn prices seem to be $15-30 for that amount.

Or

Does anyone have a source for 100% wool yarn 2-ply bulky that will do 2 .5 stitches per inch on #10 needles???

Please share!

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!