Baldric or Sword Belt

Master Sully

What do others wear with their kits? I started several years ago with a baldric, but after seeing so many period engravings, I now wear a sword belt. I've read where baldrics went out of style in the late 17th century and commoners and soldiers alike began wearing belts instead.

I like both of them, but for different reasons. I have a heavy cutlass which works well with the baldric, and a hanger in my sword belt. Rapiers also work well for the baldric, since they are too large for the belt. A smallsword would probably work well with the sword belt.

To tell you the truth, the sword belt is much more comfy. It stays secure to your side, doesn't fly up, and your sword is always where you left it. The baldric slides around much too often, especially when walking alot. I know that I'm not the only one that almost tripped up on scabbard.

I'm curious as to what others think about the two?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE

Well. I prefer the baldric, but I also do earlier period so it is fine. The baldric does stay around into the mid 18th c though, check out military uniforms of the period. The swordbelt is more civilian.

The baldric depends a lot on where you wear it. I like it slung so that the hilt is slightly behind my hipbone, with the blade slung at an angle across and behind me. From illustrations this seems to be the common way to wear it for my period. It is more comfortable, doesn't get in the way, and is still an easy draw.

Hawkyns

:(

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I prefer the baldric as well, and it must have come back into style sometime in the late 18th into early 19th century, as the Continental Marine officers wore them during the Revolution, as did sailors on boarding parties in the US and British Navies during the war of 1812 / Napoleonic eras... a little late for most pirates, but definately period. And I'd guess they were "hanging" around in some form or another during GAoP...

Period Blackbeard Engraving, ca. early 1700's

Calico Jack Rackham

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

Either method would be acceptable-

Howell Davis- had belt around the waist; could be a sword belt or he could be carrying a cutlass.

George Lowther- Broadsword carried by an over the shoulder sash.

Blackbeard (drawing 1)- with upraised sword in right hand. Sword belt under coat, wearing cartridge pouch and three brace of pistols around neck.

Blackbeard (drawing 2)- hard to tell in the print I have, most likely an over the shoulder belt.

Edward England (with pirate carrying gun in background)- likely waistbelt under coat (and over waistcoat)

Bonney and Read (from Johnson's "Pyrates")- Over the shoulder carry.

Charles Vane- sword in right hand, cartridge box and two brace of pistols around neck, method of sword carry unclear.

Avery (with slave carrying umbrella)- waistbelt and scabbard.

Avery (with ship in background)- waistbelt and scabbard with two brace of pistols and a pouch.

Lot's of period pictures on "The Costumer's Manifesto" website-

http://www.costumes.org/history/100pages/leloirX1.htm

Personally I prefer waistbelt carry. Has anyone tried to wear a cartridge pouch and belt around the neck?!?

Yours, &C.

Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

I actually wear a waistbelt to hold my pouch and have somewhere to slide a flintlock (and to contrast whatever sash I be wearin'), and toss the old baldric on to hold the sword... works well for me!

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

• 1 month later...

One thing to do to help keep your sword from flopping around is. Put your baldric on and then your equipment belt. The belt holds the baldric in place. also good if your being active. even better if one hand is already occupied for a off hand sword draw.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

• 2 years later...

Wow, this is an old thread.... B)

Anyway, I decided some time ago that I wanted to make a new sword belt. I was happy enough with the one I had, although I found the angle it held the blade at was a little too "horizontal", and I wanted some variety as well.

The only source I have on hand for sword carriages is the often touted "Swords & Blades of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann. While the book's focus is much later, it does have quite a few items of information and pics of swords that are much earlier than "The Revolution", many of which fall nicely into the GAoP...

SwordBelt.jpg

I decided to "dumb" it down a bit to be more suitable to a more common impression, so I left out the fancy edging, and instead of using "buttons" on the two loops that hold the sword in place, I rivetted that as well. (Picture below)

swordbelt003-1.jpg

The scuffs and marks are mostly from schmutz on my mini-anvil and work bench (the rivets used are solid peened rivets and not modern pop rivets), although some of the dirt is powder residue from this past weekend.

Doing this sword belt has made me seriously consider re-doing my older one to change the angle on the older belt...

Michael_banner.jpg

nicely done mr b. will you joining us in beaufort?

I'll be in Beaufort with my wife, the Archangel Crewe has graciously offered to take us in again.

Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else there again. Maybe if time permits, you would indulge me and some others with a quick jaunt on the Explorer again? :D

Michael_banner.jpg

ah alas i will be sans Explorer. However, i do have contacts with boats in that neck of the woods. To be perfectly honest I was going to loaf on the beach all weekend and enjoy the socializing that i missed at blackbeard.

ah alas i will be sans Explorer. However, i do have contacts with boats in that neck of the woods. To be perfectly honest I was going to loaf on the beach all weekend and enjoy the socializing that i missed at blackbeard.

WOT????....the WHOLE reason I and me brother were commin all the way down that a way....was cause Sterling convinced us we could look at the "Explorer" up close and personal like!!!!???!!!!

damn Sterling....gonna have to "re-think" this trip methinks.... B)

oh yeah....

i too have a baldric...but i also have a heavy-arse cutlass and pistol....used to have a sword belt....found it handy if'n iwas was wearring a small sword...and didna have to take if back off much....baldric was handy foe the whole off/on/back off in a hurry...plus a pistol or two....but sword belt right comfortable for wearring just a small sword all day....

'course just got a small sword for me burthinday...mayhaps i will make me one of those sword-belt again??

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Oi?! What no Explorer? But I was told there would be a number of long boats? at least three...

And there be no such thing as loafing...we in the Archangel play as hard as we work, if not harder...what fun would it be otherwise? Leave it to the Archangel Crewe to be the only ones towing the line again...snigger.

And Capt. De'Dogge get yer bloody arse down there!! Rather difficult hanging two folks by myself especially if I be one of the one's swinging...although it would make for a VERY interesting scenario...just might take a while B)B)

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

The only source I have on hand for sword carriages is the often touted "Swords & Blades of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann. While the book's focus is much later, it does have quite a few items of information and pics of swords that are much earlier than "The Revolution", many of which fall nicely into the GAoP...

SwordBelt.jpg

I have some rough sketches from GoF at home, which I can post later and I believe I have something French from Blackjohn... just need to get home for it...although I believe Blackjohn's is also posted at the PB site.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Rather difficult hanging two folks by myself especially if I be one of the one's swinging...although it would make for a VERY interesting scenario...just might take a while B):lol:

ask Brother Billie....

when he was designing the hanging rig....he would haul himself up to see if adjustments need to be made...in a tree out front of our Folks house....as people drove by...seeing him trying to hang himself....would yell....

"well LET GO of the ROPE....DUMMY!"

B)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

Okay...now I can't remember, BUT I think GoF sent these along....

belt.gif

Crewe of the Archangel

baldrick.gif

Crewe of the Archangel

the Explorer already had an engagement the weekend of Beaufort- sorry. Yes there will be other longboats there... I know of at least two longboats who will be in attendance though. As sterling said more had been invited.

And as hard as we played durring Blackbeard- yes, i shall loaf on the beach, in the pub, any darned place i feel. Archangel towing the line eh? must have been an anchor on the other end. sorry, we never saw you once we started B) in all seriousness though- you're efforts and skills were all appreciated beyond words.

Now the O*****r event will result in lots of time on the boat as well as some other ventures for the weekend, that will trully be an event to not miss. we'll start planning that one in beaufort.

Mad Dogge, I would suggest attending the beaufort event if possible. I have been assured it will be a grand time, sides i'll be there.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. Ah a new project i guess. another baldric in the works then.