Whats a good pirate movie?

Rhapsody

Princess Bride? Not so much Pirate-y... but still worthwhile to watch, ye young punk scalliwag.

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

You might try The Sea Hawks, Captain Blood, Treasure Island, Under the Black Flap, The Pirate Movie to be naming a few.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Treasure Island. the early 90's Turner version with Charlton Heston as Long John and Julian Glover as Dr. Livesy

Damn fine movie, great casting and a sound track by the Chieftains. It's only available on VHS, unfortunately. This is one I'd love to get on DVD.

Hawkyns

:huh:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Me maties and me be screenin' a few pirate movies to celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day. Here be the list we chose from (provided by the mates here on this board):

The Pirate Movie (1982)

Ice Pirates

Captain Blood (Errol Flynn 1952)

Princess Bride

The Sea Hawk (Errol Flynn)

The Crimson Pirate

Hook

Swashbuckler (with James Earl Jones)

Aboott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd

Blackbeard the Pirate

Blackbeard's Ghost (Disney)

Cutthroat Island

Goonies

Shipwrecked (1990)

Treasure Island

Treasure Planet

YellowBeard (AKA Monty Python goes to Sea) (1983)

Muppet Treasure Island

Buccanear

The Black Swan

Against All Flags

The Black Pirate

Pirates (Roman Polanski)

The King's Pirate

The Pirate (Gene Kelley, Judy Garland)

The Princess and the Pirate (Bob Hope)

We be choosin' a movie from each era: black and white, 60's-80's, and children's. The votin' ain't done yet but it be a goodly list.

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

I'd put forth another movie for ye all to consider. The Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, Richard Harris) was a great movie with fine swordsmanship and bits of smuggling. One of the best scene's is a knife fight on the beach, though the opening fight scene is one of the best cutlass fight scenes I've ever seen. Besides, there's hidden treasure, betrayal, and revenge...

Definitely a fun one to watch.

Coastie04 :huh:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Aye.... but it's not exactly a pirate movie...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

Aye, not exactly a pirate movie, but is the Princess Bride really a pirate movie? It was given a lot of mention here. Though not technically a pirate movie, I believe that it is a movie that pirate fans would like.

B)

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Aye... But Princess Bride has the Dread Pirate Roberts !

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

of yers!"

I think the list above hit all the ones I could think of..

Plus, there be Peter Pan coming for Christmas.

Jason Isaacs as Hook...

Sorry, Mates, I was distracted. Ever since that blighter was Lucius Malfoy I sort of have a habit of starin' at his eyes....

Bad Lucky! *swats forehead*

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

I can't believe that not one, but two people here mentioned the lame Kristy McNichol vehicle The Pirate Movie... I had been trying desperately to erase it from memory, but alas...

I'm going to go put alcohol on some old wounds here...

"Red Rum"

"How do you expect His Majesty's Empire to reap the wealth of the Carribean?"

"Ye STEAL it o' course!"

I can't believe that not one, but two people here mentioned the lame Kristy McNichol vehicle The Pirate Movie... I had been trying desperately to erase it from memory, but alas...

I'm going to go put alcohol on some old wounds here...

"Red Rum"

The request was for "pirate movies", not necessarily good pirate movies... ;)

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Arg, most of those movies are over 50 years old.. After POTC I hope more Pirate Movies will follow. :ph34r:

An' let's hope that they're GOOD ones..

It would not 'elp to 'ave a bunch o' rotten pirate movies come out all the sudden. :ph34r:

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I am robbing you, tossing you overboard, and stealing your ship!"

-the only thing more dangerous than her.. is her needle-

A bit of "Crimson Pirate" trivia: its original title was "The Red Pirate," but this was the height of the McCarthy era, and Burt was called to Washington to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee about supposed Communist infiltration of the film business. The studio decided that, with this sort of publicity, they'd better not have "red" in the title. It was ironic on several levels: no real pirate would have caved so cravenly (far as I know, Burt had no say in the matter, it was the studio chiefs who caved.) Second, what sort of loon would think that linking "red" with "pirate" was somehow pro-Marxist? And we think we live in weird times. It's hard to beat the early 50's.