Choose Yer Rum

Monterey Jack

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Pyrat XO Planter's Gold man me self.

Love the hand blown bottle and extra bits.

I'm sure I would love the Pyrat Cask, but seeing as how I am not going to spend that much money, I may never find out.   :P

Another Pyrat XO lover h're!! Was properly introduced to it aboard The Royaliste by several of her crew members. Most excellent good times!!

To date, I've, rather easily, coverted many others, most recently, my favorite new cabin boy I just picked up a few weeks ago. :lol: Has an excellent eye and gives full attention to fine details! :o:o:o

Just recently in Ojai, a lad in a fyne kilt shared his Rum Liqueur with me and me mates

Olaf?!?!?

Captain of The Morrighan.

This could be a plank walking offense! :lol: I don't partake of rum on a regular occassion. I have tried plenty and only found Bacardi 8 worth consuming at the Billfish tournement ( it's free)!! But give me a Bourbon Whiskey any time and I will be just as happy as standing at the wheel watching the horizon get closer :P

For those not havin' access to a variety of rums at yer local store, try here. Click on 'rum' (what else, mates!?) and you'll be seein' a wide variety of our favorite spirit.

Please, don't imbibe and sail.

Pyrates, don't let pyrates sail snockerd!

Drunken_Parrot_Bar_Sign.jpg

You will be flogged. And God willing, come morning, you will be flogged some more.

I just saw Diego & Rummy during set-up at the Escondido Faire earlier tonight, and Diego passed me his flask filled with Tattoo. I really liked it! On the way home I stopped and bought a bottle. Nice sippin' rum..... B)

barbadossambanner0zj.jpg

"There be the chest, inside be the gold, we took them all. Spent them and traded them. We frittered them away on drink and food and pleasurable company. The more we gave them away, the more we came to realize... the drink would not satisfy, food turned to ash in our mouths, and all the pleasurable company in the world could not slake our lust. We are cursed men....Compelled by greed we were, and now we are consumed by it."

Me wife made a wager to me that I couldn' a tell a difference betwixt Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum and Admiral Nelson's Spiced Rum(a cheap knock off). Well, she made me taste blind a mug o' grog for each, a shot o' each and a rum & coke for each. Well, shiver me timbers, she was right about the rum & coke! Blasted wench got me good she did. I made me choices and I was spot on for the shots and the Grog, but dead wrong on the cokes. Me wife be wanting to buy Admiral Nelson's to save a shilling or two, not that it make no difference when I just be takin' it in prizes while pursuin' the trade...Still, when addin' a little cola to yer rum, Admiral Nelson's and Captain Morgan be very much the same. If ye be makin' grog or drinkin' it straight though, ye best be drinkin' the Captain Morgan.

This of course be sayin' nothing about the good Captain Morgan's Private Stock, only the spiced rum. Then of course there be Pusser's, which we can't even be comparin' without swearin' many a foul oath! Arrrr, I best be gettin' to me hammock, me head still be achin' from all that taste testin' last night. :blink:

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Pistol, ye say? I had to look it up and this is what Emeril had to say:

Over time, their most famous brand became Planters Gold Pyrat XO Rum. This rum is blended to be elegantly smooth and delicious. It can be served the same as you would a fine Cognac in a brandy snifter, or poured over ice with a twist of lemon. The XO comes in a wonderful one-of-a-kind hand-blown and numbered bottle that is designed to be reminiscent of the old rum bottles hoarded and traded by pirates and ship captains of the 1800's. Pyrat Pistol Rum is a lighter version of the XO and comes in a unique shape and size for rum. It is tall and slender.

So now, of course, I want to try both!

Has anyone tried "Doorly's Rum?" It looks like a nice smooth dark rum. Thanks for the tip on Gold Pyrat XO Rummy! I think I'll pick up a bottle tonight seein' as I'm going to the liquor store anyway for Captain Morgan be on sale!

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

I've had both and found Pyrat Pistol is a wee bit lighter than Pyrat XO. Another rum that I've introduced folks to is Lemon Hart Demerara rum (the 80 proof.) Gotten a great deal of really positive feedback about that one. Rummy, I'll be bringing a bottle of that down to Kearny, so you'll get a chance to try it.

RHJMap.jpg

Did not like the Pyrat "Pistol". Tasted like apricots and paint thinner. Wanting to try the XO now.

Best rum ever: Dogfish Head Honey Brown Rum.

Anyone tried Blackbeards' Reserve?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

Way back in the day I shared a bottle of 20yr dark rum with some friends. The bottle was wrapped in wicker. Can't remember the name now... it was very fine rum.

I've got a bottle of Capt. Morgan Private Stock. Frankly, I bought it duty free because the bottle looked great. The rum inside is some of the finest I've had too. Very smooth.

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

Best rum ever: Dogfish Head Honey Brown Rum.

Anyone tried Blackbeards' Reserve?

Blackbeard's Reserve is a fairly harsh drink. I had one bottle I loved, and another that was like licking the inside of a charred oak barrel (this I did NOT love.) Neither, however, was a gentle sort.

If Dogfish Head is your favorite rum then I wouldn't fork out the cash for Blackbeard's - I doubt you'll like it. But if you're curious, buy a bottle of Gosling's Black Seal first, and try gulping that. It's a far cry from Blackbeard's, but it can still be brutal if you're unaccustomed to the "harsher" rums. If you find you like Gosling's, then you might enjoy Blackbeard's.

My understanding is that Pyrat Pistol is discontinued - wish I'd known a little earlier, as I never did get to try the stuff. XO is still readily available, and would probably be more to the liking of anyone who enjoys sweeter rums, such as Dogfish and Capt. Morgan's Private Stock.

Bilgemunky Rum Reviews

And hey, while we're on the subject, wish me luck - I'm off to RumFest next week!!!

I AM BILGEMUNKY

If you find you like Gosling's, then you might enjoy Blackbeard's.

Actually, I did. A little "dark and Stormy" now and then. :D

My understanding is that Pyrat Pistol is discontinued - wish I'd known a little earlier, as I never did get to try the stuff. XO is still readily available, and would probably be more to the liking of anyone who enjoys sweeter rums, such as Dogfish and Capt. Morgan's Private Stock.

If'n ye need a bottle, I think our stores still have it around here . . .

Bookmarked and well read!!

Kinda my cheat sheet for the liquor store.

:D:D

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

• 3 weeks later...
found quite easily down here in Fort Lauderdale.

Are ye talking about Christine or the rum?

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."

Has anyone had a "Lord Nelson" or "Admiral Nelson" rum? is it a rotgut or decent?

" Never knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and run. He hates that"

' Whatever is not nailed down is MINE. Whatever I can pry loose, is not nailed down."