Choose Yer Rum

Monterey Jack

For all you rum aficionados out there; we all know there's more to rum that Capt. Morgan's (blasphemy, I know!) but has anyone ever done a lengthy rum comparison test?

Fer example, the Puerto Rican Rums seem to be mellower than most, the Jamaican rums have more scent and the French Caribbean (Martinique) rum just plain hurts, IMO. in more ways than one.

Dark Hawaiian rum tends to be thicker in texture than other dark rums.

So let's hit the virtual pub and do a taste test, shall we?

What's in YOUR rum? :unsure:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mount Gay Barbados Rum for medium and Gosling's for dark. Light rums ye may as well be drinkin' vodka. An' what is it wi' all the Captain Morgan stuff? Ye canna' taste the rum fer all the other stuff they flower it up wi'. Just me own 'umble opinion...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Haven't tries the Mt Gay, but right there wi' ye on the Goslings. Whalers never was too bad either, but now they come out wi' all the flavoured 'uns.

As fer Bacardi, I swore (after a certain incident in High School way back) that Bacardi was no' fer me!

The Morgan's popularity I think has t' do with the fact that they have the best advertising firm out there (the media is swamped with commercials for it) and that its so "plain" that it appeals to everyone, rather than just the rum conny-sewers.

Monterey Jack

Outta respect, I'll drink whatever's put in front o' me... but I don't *buy* bacardi. :unsure:

My favorites are Captain Morgan's Private Stock:

CaptMorgans.jpg

or Ron Centenario Añejo Especial from Costa Rica:

RonCentenario.jpg

:huh:

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the Ron Centenario... the swab that was getting it for me from Costa Rica jumped ship. :huh:

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Have ye tried Morgan's new one, Tattoo? Not sure I like it, cuz to me it tastes like alcoholic Dr. Pepper....but I bought two bottles just fer the ships cast in the glass on em....great book ends! Deosn't say much fer the drink itself, though......

Monterey Jack

- Cane (made by New Orleans Rum Co.)

- Cruzan's Black Strap

Haven't tried cane; is it easily had?

Also, didn't Black Strap originally have other stuff in it as well as rum?

Monterey Jack

To get Cane, you could either travel to New Orleans or you could probably order it from them. Their website is www.neworleansrum.com/ I've been told that they are looking to expand their distribution.

And I'm not sure if Black Strap had anything else in it at one point. It's just extra dark rum that has a very distinctive taste (lots of molasses flavor.)

RHJMap.jpg

To get Cane, you could either travel to New Orleans or you could probably order it from them.

I'll have to have em send me some; strictly fer research ye understand!

'course I wouldn't mind another trip to the French Quarter, either, and it be fer a good cause after all....

:unsure:

Monterey Jack

• 2 weeks later...
Have ye tried Morgan's new one, Tattoo? Not sure I like it, cuz to me it tastes like alcoholic Dr. Pepper....but I bought two bottles just fer the ships cast in the glass on em....great book ends! Deosn't say much fer the drink itself, though......

alcoholic Dr. Pepper, eh? :D:D:D:D:D

Sounds yummy to me! Have to see if I can procure some to get a taste. I'm not to big on the other rum I've tried before . . . maybe I'll make a passable pirate after all!

I dunno what brand but it's in a clear bottle and it's coconut flavored. It is good. :lol:

Could be Parrot Bay. Ye have t' turn th' bottle around...... :)

Monterey Jack

Just tried Pusser's navy rum tonight....

Aaaiieeeeeee!!!!!!

In the immortal words of Jack Sparrow. "Not good, not good!"

Damn, I'll go back to NyQuil and paint thinner afore I drink this again.... ;)

Monterey Jack

I'm familiar with Jamaican Rum, Puerto Rican Rum, Martinique Rum....has anyone tried Barbados Rum? If so, how does it compare? :lol:

Monterey Jack

• 1 month later...

:lol: **This site is a must!

http://www.ministryofrum.com/

they got a tasting forum and everything.

I like Pusser's British Navy Rum, this is 95.5 proof industrial stregnth straight-forward business the way Lord Nelson wanted it...the closest you'll ever get to the real deal. However, for 'Cuba Libre' type coctails, it has a but of a rugged, but not offensive palate ....just a tad potent.

My favorite is Flor de Cana 7 year rum. ...great straight up!

My most hated is Plantation Rum Barbados...smells like rotting daffodils.

SHIP2-1.jpg

:lol: Flora de Cara -->  Nicaraguan Rum  aged 12 years.  Smooth as Christines Butt and found quite easily down here in Fort Lauderdale.

Arrrrr :lol: ...watch what ye be sayin' 'bout me lassie/mate Christine, n' her derriere, the sweetest thing since the good Lord invented the sparklin' dew drops restin' in the fresh embrace of a flower's petals at the begin of new mornin' sunlight ;) (smooth ye say, eh?) .....as fer ye, Matusalem (what 'ere is that name from?), thank ye fer the link it be a good one.... :lol:B)

My Favorite thus far be The Captain's Private Stock. Recently a mate o' mine brought me some Jamaican rum that isn't sold here in the states. It is 90 proof and very mellow. Smooth as a whistle goin down too.

it doesnt matter what it be though, it must be either straight up or slightly chilled...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...