Tricorn Construction Question

Having made a couple of tricorns from blanks, which I trimmed with 'glued' on mettalic braid, I want to try something a little more challenging, like sewing on a fabric 'ribbon' trim. So the question is... what kind of material would be suitable, and how should I go about sewing it? Do you sew it on before or after steaming and tacking the sides? And do you fold it over the edge of the brim and sew it to both sides, or just sew it flat on the 'outside' side? Also, hand or machine, and what kind of stitch? TIA!

The Dread Pyrate MacAnselan

aka Mick

Hmmm. I have made a few tri-corns myself, but never have I sewed any thing to them or glued for that mater. Once I have them tied up and shapped I coat them in a bee's wax kind of stuff, it gives them a really worn and authentic look. I forget what the stuff is called, but you can get it at a hardware store, usually in the paint section.

Petee-2.jpg

Once I have them tied up and shapped I coat them in a bee's wax kind of stuff, it gives them a really worn and authentic look. I forget what the stuff is called, but you can get it at a hardware store, usually in the paint section.

Petee,

If you can remember what the stuff is called, I'd be much obliged.

aka Mick

Go to a fabric store, pick your trim. Pin it to the tricorn. Sewing it is easy. Use an upholstery needle to get through the thick hat material (thimbles help). Just keep working your way around. Have the two ends meet in the back. Tie off the thread occasionally so that if something comes undone you don't lose the whole thing. I've had my trim on for 15 years now using this method. Don't, repeat don't, glue the trim....

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Trims are a conundrum as what we have available at our modern fabric shops are not exactly what was available during the GAoP. Finding period style metalic trims for hats and coats is a challenge.

The trim you see on the picture from my site is a wool hat with a period style worsted wool twill tape. You can find some in several colors from Wooded Hamlet.

If you need more close ups of the tricorne, I have a hastily prepared Tricorne/Cocked Hat page

Good luck

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Hi Mick MacAnselan!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait ta see at pirate weekend at MDRF.

Find the trim you like and fold it over and iron it.It is not to hard to sew to a blank. and like hurricane said,make sure you start and stop at the back of the hat.

see ya

"No matter where you go. There you are."

The trim you see on the picture from my site is a wool hat with a period style worsted wool twill tape.  You can find some in several colors from  Wooded Hamlet.

GoF,

Thanks for the links! I was looking at the woodedhamlet site and I see they have both "Heavy Worsted Hat Braid" and the "Worsted Wool Twill Tape". To my (inexperienced) eye, the "Hat Braid" looks more like the trim on your hat than the "Twill Tape" does, but I can convince myself either way. Are you certain that yours is the Twill Tape? I want to make sure I get the right stuff... don't know if one is easier to work with, etc. TIA!

aka Mick

Mick

I bought my hat when I lived in England. At the time, it was referred to as worsted wool twill tape.

I don't think you could go wrong with either, as Wooded Hamlet hat braid looks pretty freakin good too!

The way they describe it, it may be easier to apply to the curve of the hat.

Good luck, and sorry for the confusion.

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

They do have 1.5" twill tape... though its probably a moot point as I agree you should go with the hat braid...

You have to scroll down to the bottom to see

#02-150, 1 1/2" wide - $ 4.75/yard

#02-875, 7/8" wide - $3.00/yard

#02-500, 1/2" wide - $2.50/yard

#02-375, 3/8" wide - $ 2.40/yard

Please post pictures of your hat when you finnish!

GoF

Also, anyone interested in hats, or anything else about the period for that matter, will probably want to visit Nicole Kipar's site. Take a look at these, for instance...

http://www.kipar.org/military-history/kirk...orms_1700s.html

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

All,

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered some black 1-1/2" Twill Tape, since they are out of stock on the hat braid. I'm going to try it out first on a black felt hat I made a while back with metallic trim. I recently 'waterproofed' it with thinned shellac, and when it dried, the edges sort of 'flared'. Neat look, but the metallic braid didn't fare well. So I'll make a reclamation project out of it when the twill tape arrives. I'll post a pic when the time comes. Thanks again!

aka Mick

Not sure what you mean by "pattern" CK...

A three cornered hat is just that. Most people get a hat "blank" and fold three sides up. You can tack the sides up with some linen thread.

If you check out my Tricorne Page you might get a better understanding....

But if you mean "how do you make a tricorne hat from scratch"...

Well that is a horse of a different colour.

Assuming you mean a period wool felt hat, you would need to get a pound or so of sheeps wool batts or roving. Its cleaned sheeps wool that is either in clumps (batts) or in kind of a roll (roving).

You "felt" the wool by using warm water and soap. You lay a matrix of wool down, one layer, then another at 90 degrees, then another layer 90 degrees excetera. Then you soak it with soapy water. The soapy water helps the individual wool "hairs" to stretch out its "fingers" and mesh with surrounding hair. Its kind of like making wool dread locks.

You use gentle agitation (like putting it between two towels and rolling it up applying pressure.

The end result is that you have a "sheet" of wool felt.

You then shape the sheet of wool felt into what is known as a felt hood (its what it is before its a "hat blank" you could also just google "felt hoods" and start the hat making process from there).

Then, using steam and a form, you shape the hood into a hat. fold up the sides and viola! Tricorne.

Now, this is a simplification of the process, but that is generally what you do.

If you are itching to try it for your self, I would definately google :

Felt making

Hat making

Wool Bats

Felt Hood

Felt Hat Blanks

And definately post pictures of your progress.

GoF