Powder Charges for Pistols and Rifles

Gentleman Jeff

Ahoy!

Can anyone tell me whether the small wooden cylindrical gunpowder containers usually slung on a baldric and used by musketeers in the 17th century could also have been used by a pirate in the very early 18th century?

I fancy that method of storage for my pistol charges, but is it accurate for the early 1700's?

Ahoy!

Can anyone tell me whether the small wooden cylindrical gunpowder containers usually slung on a baldric and used by musketeers in the 17th century could also have been used by a pirate in the very early 18th century?

I fancy that method of storage for my pistol charges, but is it accurate for the early 1700's?

Though possible, it seems unlikely. I believe pirates always wanted to be on the cutting edge of weapons technology. Bandoliers of charges are sort of a step backwards by 1700.

And we do know the pirates on the Whydah had a cartridge box since one was found.

But just one. For all those pirates. Man, that must've been tough during a battle! B)

However... I suspect there were even luddites amongst the pirates... and we do know that during the War of the Spanish Succession old weapons were being pressed into service.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Thanks so much for that information, Black John. I will take your advice and keep the attitude that the pirates of old had; stay on the cutting edge of weapons technology. You wouldn't happen to know if there are any drawings or photos of the cartridge box found on board the Whydah do you? If I could get detailed particulars, such as measurements, etc., I could craft a replica of it. Also, a pattern for any cartridge box of the period would be helpful. B)

www.jarniganco.com & www.gggodwin.com have some fine examples, they're just a few years off.

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE