Cutlasses

....there are other great weapons besides cutlasses.

Agreed. I think sometimes we get hung up on Cutlasses for Pirates because they have become synonnomous (did I spell that right?), but many other weapons were used, such as smallswords, backswords, boarding axes..the list goes on...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still looking for someone that might know about the 1742 or 1753 British Infantry Sword (Dixie Gunworks sells them) (without going to their site, I want the one with the straighter blade.....)

I don't care about the guard or grip, I just want one for the blade.... I just don't know how thin the tang might be...... or if it's threaded like some of the Packastani stainless steal blades are.......

Patrick, those blades are the India made ones, and the tangs are thin/threaded. I saw one at the Fort deChartres back in November for sale. The guy that had it said he'd ordered it from Dixie two years before.('03) My oppinion was that it wasn't very good metal and wouldn't hold up to any serious action. FWIW.

DANG.....

Thanks for the information..... I was hoping that they wern't made that way........

Now I'm back to looking for a blade..... I know most of the suppliers that get posted..... but I just wanna blade.... I'll make the rest myself..................

I bought one for just play, not made for any work, but it will be fine for now. The problem I have is that there is something sticky like sap on it. What can I use to clean it? I did get some metal cleaner but not sure if it will scratch it... any ideas?

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

If you just want the blade, Albion Armorers make falchion blades that might work, although I don't how accurate the blade shape would be. Just a thought.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

I bought one for just play, not made for any work, but it will be fine for now. The problem I have is that there is something sticky like sap on it. What can I use to clean it? I did get some metal cleaner but not sure if it will scratch it... any ideas?

I had the same stuff on a blade my freind gave me. it is pine sap. I just used rubbing alcohol and it came off fine. goof off works great to.

be REAL careful putting the blade back in the scabbard.

the seam on the scabbard is not done very well and I but the blade right thru it and int my palm. :lol:

It took forever to heal. :lol:

I've got one of the "Pirate Companion" cutlasses from Windlass, and overall, I do like the piece. It is, as has been mentioned, very blade-heavy, so it's definitely nothing to do any fencing with. I do tend, on the few occaisions I've actually used it in a choreographed fight, to parry with the flat, just to protect the edge - but we don't use that sort of blade often enough for me to put in my two cents on the earlier parrying points made. It seems that people will do best with what works best for them, no...? It's a great workout blade, though, for the arm and wrist.

I also have the Windlass replica of the 1860 Naval Cutlass which I just happened across at a very, very good price ($25, if I recall correctly).

At this point, I'm pretty well drooling over the cutlasses (or footman's sabre, or whatever they happen to sell it as) made by Baltimore Knife and Sword. They don't have any pictured on their website at this point, but I would compare them very closely to those made by Starfire swords in general.

I've seen some of these for $250-ish, which to me, isn't bad at all. However, if I buy one, I have to buy two, as my usual sparring partner is my better half, and we really need comparable pieces to work with. but, if we drink enough beer at Scarborough this weekend, and they still have a pair at Legacy Forge, we may well be a-comin' home with a pair...

sig2.jpg

Merrydeath... De-natured alcohol. Works well, wont rust the blade or make stains. Follow up with a light coat of good quality gun oil and you should be set. BUT DON'T DRINK THE ALCOHOL!!! :lol:

Thank you BO!! I was told just water and soap, but that just smeared it. Good call!

and privateer... OUCH! Thanks for the warning, and I'll buy this round of drinks for the info.

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

I've tried to order an Old Dominion cutlass several times, but evidently, they're not taking orders. Too much backlog.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Jib-

If you mean the "1860 Naval Cutlass," the picture on their online catalog looks identical to the Windlass one I referred to earlier. If even says high-carbon steel blade.

If it is the same, I have used mine in a very limited way in some stage combat work. It seemed to hold up just fine, and apart from a few scratches, it held up well. It did get a bit of a dent in the bell guard when someone dropped it on a sidewalk, but nothing major.

I'm not sure that I would want to use it extensively, though. The blade on mine doesn't seem to have much flex to it, fairly rigid, so I'm thinking snapping or splintering would not be horribly unlikely.

sig2.jpg

Good to know Capt. Zeph. I have a cheap Bud K that I'm trying out for a little street fight/ stage combat. I like the weight and the feel, we don't go at it that hard so I think it should manage to hold up.

Anyone now if the cutlas on www.weaponsgalore.com is useable (with the edge taken off)

http://www.weaponsgalore.com/Catalogue/?itemID=1019

I'm looking for me first sword for pirate re-enacting and wish to find a weapon I can use regularly thats fairly historically accurate

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B)

If you want to be a pirate reenactor, stay away from that junk. :)

Grab yourself a hunting sword from Godwin... http://www.gggodwin.com/swords.htm

Of course, I should probably ask you what you mean when you say "use." Do you mean wear... or do steel-on-steel demos.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

I was looking for a blade for actual steel on steel demos. I'm trying to find a blade supplier situated in the UK to save on shipping, but I'm having trouble finding anything that resembles an authentic cutlass from around 1720.

You can try Maestro Paul Macdonald at the address below, or access his website thru Art of Combat (www.artofcombat.org) under thew Sponsor section. He may be able to help or direct you to someone who can.

At the Sign Of the Cross and Sword

Brunswick St. Lane

Edinburgh EH7 5JA

Scotland, UK

+44 (0)131 5571510

:huh:

Monterey Jack

"yes I am a pirate 200 years too late,

the cannons don't thunder, there's nothin to plunder,

I'm an over-40 victim of fate,

arrivin too late.........."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I was looking for a blade for actual steel on steel demos. I'm trying to find a blade supplier situated in the UK to save on shipping, but I'm having trouble finding anything that resembles an authentic cutlass from around 1720.

BobbyLucifer,

There is a real shortage of swordmakers who will make a pirate period sword suitable for UK Re-enactment at a reasonable cost.

I had my cutlass made by Armour Class, It has served me well over the past years, but it has a straight blade. I have been told that if you send them a drawing, they will make pretty much anything you want, but I cannot say what that will do for the price.

I am currently persuing several sources in the hope that I can find a manufacturer who can supply the pirate commuunity without breaking the bank.

What Pirate society do you belong to? In the absence of a truly authentic 1700's Cutlass, many groups allow the use of the 17th Century Mortury sword as a resonable compromise.

Do you belong to the

UK PIRATE BROTHERHOOD Yahoo Egroup? if you look in the files section, there is a series of pdf files, theat make up a Typology of steel hilted cutlasses that would be suitable for Pirate re-enactment.

Last weekend, I was at the Sea Sheppey festival, One pirate there was using a first rate copy of a Type E (Double Guard) cutlass, complete with curved blade. But she could not remember the name of the person who made it.

If you do eventually find someone who can make what you are looking for, please let me know, as they will probably have a lot of Brit Pirates beating a pathway to their door, and I would like to get to the front of the line.

"Tall Paul" Adams

of the three pictures along the bottem of the page, the middle one, with the flat pommel and the long knuckle guard is probebly the best, although the shell is facing the wrong way for a GAoP Cutlass.

the shell should be curved over the handle to protect the back of the hand.

Perhaps if you asked them, they would make one with the shell facing the other way.

This pattern sword is quite a popular choice amongst UK pirate re-enactors.As a backup sword I use one very similar, but with a bigger shell, made by Bailiff Forge, who sadly no longer seem to be operaiting

As i mentioned before, the Mortury hilt and Proto Mortury hilt are also a popular choice because although they are slightly too early, they offer good hand protection.

The sword that they made for me, had the same blade as this, but the hilt was type "E", a simple shell guard and knuckle bow. they made two of these at my request.

If you dont mind me asking Rats, are you another British Pirate or are you looking to import the sword?

Armour Class are one of the best known Re-enactment Sword makers in the UK. Because of the robust style of fighting preferred by many British enactors, their weapons tend to be very ruggid and hard wearing, however they tend to be a little on the heavy side when compared with blades used for some forms of stage or display fighting.

I would be interested to learn more about the steel-on-steel techneques used by american re-enactors.

I hope that this helps.

"Tall Paul" Adams.

Well my friend that is where the questions are comming from. Having served the Union as a cavalryman and also as a nogooder during the Wild West, I am familiar with the various uses of firearms, however I am new to this game of steel on steel.

Having consulted with my captain, I strongly aree that a standard should be set so that all who hope to be involved in steel on steel presentations know what to expect, have the correct equipment and can therefore take part "safely".

Unfortunately we live in a country full of "Pirates" who would seek an opportunity to ruin an image or group just to make a few crowns. Therefore we have to keep vigilant to ensure all loose ends are tied down.

Any advice from our UK brethren??

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Rats

if you are doing a doctor impression with proper clothes, why not a smallsword or hunting hanger?

Blackjohn has posted a link to a company that puts fencing blades on smallsword hilts that look pretty good.

Blackjohn also has a link to a decent Hanger.

IMHO, you are kind of at a crossroads with the sword question.

In one direction, lies a beautiful copy of a period sword that is really expensive and you probably won't want to smack it around with other swords (safety and sword damaging concerns).

The other path is a reasonable facsimile that is intended for sword fighting. You get a safer sword with the trade off of looking less like a period sword.

If you want to fight with others, I say get the fencing bladed smallsword. Also, it might be a good idea to ask the guys that you are going to fight against THE MOST, what they are using as they should have a good idea of what will fit and work in their systems.

Greg aka GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!