Slops

Pirate Petee

If'n I were to use a hemp canvas, what weight would be most appropriate? i was thinking between a 6 and 10 oz for strength and durability.

Another, more quizical inquarry... Should I wax them? I usually was my marlinespike work (i.e. my drinking horn, sword handles) for weatherproofing the natural fibers. I know wax or tar was applied to fearnaughts and cocked hats, would it have been done to slops?

I would think more than likely not due simply to comfort. Waxed fabric wouldnt move comfortably i wouldnt think...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If'n I were to use a hemp canvas, what weight would be most appropriate?  i was thinking between a 6 and 10 oz for strength and durability.

Another, more quizical inquarry...  Should I wax them?  I usually was my marlinespike work (i.e. my drinking horn, sword handles) for weatherproofing the natural fibers.  I know wax or tar was applied to fearnaughts and cocked hats, would it have been done to slops?

I would think more than likely not due simply to comfort.  Waxed fabric wouldnt move comfortably i wouldnt think...

I have a shirt made from 10 oz hemp canvas and it is great. bit stiff at first, but getting softer with every rainstorm or washing.

I wouldn't wax the breeches myself. I know a chap who beeswaxed a shirt to make a waterproof, using beeswax per some 18th c documentation. He got a bit near the campfire one night and it went up in flames. he was able to put it out before he was seriously burned, but he was lucky. On ship it might be OK, but around a campfire/cigarettes/tiki torches/etc., I wouldn't risk it.

Hawkyns

:ph34r:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

On ship it might be OK, but around a campfire/cigarettes/tiki torches/etc., I wouldn't risk it.

sharp reasonin theire, Master Hawkyns. An residin so close to me weddin' tackle, i dont think that would be such a great idea after all. I found a great way to soften stiff garnments in the past be to wash em good, and then run em over a few times then wash em again. repeat untill soft enough...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Military duffle bag + couple shovelfulls of gravel + article of clothing in question. Place gravel and article of clothing inside duffle bag, throw in the drier on no heat for a couple hours. Then wash... Repeat as needed or until threadbare B)

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

• 3 years later...

Bump...

I've been looking for the thread where Patrick Hand did a fairly good almost step by step on making slops (or open kneed breeches if you prefer)... This is the thread closest to what I can remember finding, but the images are missing, and I am not sure if this is the correct one or not. If anyone knows how to find the thread I would greatly appreciate it! I've done a few searches for the info both in the "Thieve's Market" and "Captain's Twill" areas, but no luck so far. :D

I'm about 90% done my first set of slops, and I have two more sets to make... If I can't find Patrick's good thread (or if someone else can't help me find it), I may take some pictures of the process and attempt a second rate tribute to Mr. Hand's tutorial to help those who have asked me about slops lately.

Cheers

Michael_banner.jpg