You can't take this show from me

They're airing baseball yet again

We might not break episode ten

But you can't take this show from me

A Cannon blast of a movie it twas :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally saw this. It was pretty good, although I thought some of the acting was a little wobbly for a feature movie. I liked the concept of the movie a great deal. The reavers and the spooky psychic chick were the real hooks for me. (I would never have watched it, though. Drama Series TV...bad addiction.)

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

The film alone? If you haven't watched the tv show, and you liked the film, you are doing yourself an injustice. The film rates only fair when compared to the best of the tv episodes. C'mon Mark, we're only talking 15 or so hours of tv. Rent them. You'll like them.

Did you watch any of the out-takes? There were a couple of good flubs in there.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

15 Hours?! Oh, the things I could do with 15 hours...

I've no doubt I'd like them. I will consider your recommendation with all due seriousness. I did not see the outtakes. It was my brother-in-law's movie and he took it with him.

I was watching Shanolin Soccer (an excellent Chinese kung fu comedy) and they had outtakes at the end of it. Unfortunately none of them were translated, so we had no idea what was going on most of the time...although we laughed like hell anyway. Must have been the wine. ;)

"Am I not?"

• 2 weeks later...

The show may very well be worth your time sir! I caught the movie recently, bought the dvd, and then bought the series set and am playing catch up on the shows (only saw a few when the originally aired, and have seen a few recently on Sci-Fi).

I like the movie and the series...the combination of genres (sci-fi meets western with a dash of Chinese) is an interesting combo, and Joss n' casting did a great job putting together this crew. They play very well off of each other. B)

Tying to this, the show does have a funny gag reel :

http://www.fireflyfans.net/feature.asp?f=42

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

• 1 month later...

I watched half of Serenity Sunday and the other half last night.

Overall I liked it.

Lots of one liners. I like one liners, they crack me up.

Those reavers were a brillant idea.

Costuming was awesome. I want Zoey's leather top.

I was sad to see Steve the pirate bite it.

My only real complaint was that it took me a while to figure out who was who and what was what. I've never seen the show, and this movie didn't waste anytime giving any background stories. However, I can see where this kicked ass for the Firefly fans since there wasn't any "blah blah blah getting to know you crap". Really this movie was made for the fans of Firefly that got the movie made in the first place so I have to appauld that choice. I was a tad confused...but now I'm interested in seeing the show. So I guess over all that's good for Firefly :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Bringing up this thread again.....

I rented a copy of Serentiy awhile back, and wondered "what's the big deal..." kinda like Rogue Mermaid's post about not knowing the characters.......

Then I found this podcast about it..... http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/

Started listining to it, (figured out who everyone is...) then rented it again... then went and bought my own copy...... (now I gotta buy the tv season, so I can see more....)

OK... so my Buccaneer stuff is now on hold..... but I gotta figure out which is going to be more fun to make..... Browncoat or Reaver...... (yah gotta love the pause button when you play a movie on a computer...... now if I can figure out how to to a screen capture..... :lol: )

Reaver may be a very original idea for Halloween. I have yet to see one of those guys transformed into duds and makeup for October festivities.

Patrick - If you haven't bought the series yet, I'd suggest aiming for Amazon. I'd aimed for Bestbuy when I bought it, and probably could have saved 20 or more bucks (I did with the 2 yrs of the series Carnivale).

• 3 weeks later...
I like any show on the tele where they curse in Chinese!

-CS-

Not to get OT (oh, what the heck), but I always thought it was funny that they occasionally used curse words in German in the Indy movies that they didn't (and probably wouldn't) use in American (back then there was no PG-13 rating and the taboos were a slightly different). I wonder if that's because the censors figured few people would get it?

"Am I not?"

As usual, I am late to the party.

I have been living in Europe for the last decade so I have missed all the significant TV in that time period. (I have seen the first season of 24 and the first season of Stargate Atlantis)

But on recommendation by the folks here and other forums, I bought the complete Firefly collection via e-bay.

Wow.

I can't say enough good things about it. Definitely worthy of praise that has been heaped upon it. It scratches lots of itches at the same time (Cowboy, Sci-fi, Drama etc).

Good writing, and great characters. Its filmed in such a way that you really feel yourself a part of what is going on.

Cool.

I couldn't help thinking though, of the comparison between "Mary Anne" and "Ginger" of Giligan's Island, and Kaylee and Inara of Firefly. (not that they are similar characters mind you, but there has always been kind of a "male" choice.... Mary Anne or Ginger?

Kaylee is the home grown girl next door type and Inara is the Hottie "Dream" girl type....

maybe I'll start another thread....

Greg

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Hey GoF,

Don't feel bad.... I just got into Firefly (and the accompanying movie "Serenity") just a few months ago, and I have had access to the show since it's release however long ago...

But your right about how the show scratches so many itches at the same time... Good analogy! :D

I was turned to the show by a friend who was turned onto the show a few months before me, who was turned onto the show by a friend of his that .... You get the point....

That's usually how it is with "Cult" classics as Firefly has definately become.... I only regret that more people didn;t watch it during it's air time so the series could have made it to additional seasons.... :D The movie did tie up most of the story threads, but I just get this "feeling" that had it been left on TV, the story would have been dragged out a lot more, and been more interesting for it... Not that I am bashing the movie, it was great... I just think more would have been better.

Michael_banner.jpg

Ok ok I have heard you guys allude to this "Firefly" for a while..I have to admit ignorance at this point. But in such good and interesting company, I simply must check it out..added to the list. Thanks!

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

Good for you Red Cat! I hope you enjoy the series (and movie) as much as others have, including myself.

Firefly was one of those series that had a language all its own peppered throughout the dialogue. You'll hear certain variations on words, catch phrases and nicknames that they use from time to time, and it'll end up finding its way into your own conversations if you're not careful (heh).