Firefly

blackjohn

I said:

HAHAHA... yes, you smarty you. I've really taken a massive liking to that certain show.

I had just gotten the blunderbuss, and I had gone out onto the deck to test it. Then I came inside and broke it down for cleaning. As I'm cleaning it, I'm thinking, what's a good name for you. I'm sitting on the floor in the living room cleaning it, and I decided to watch, for the first time, Our Mrs. Reynolds. It was fate. smile.gif

To which Duchess responded:

laugh.gif

Yeah, I Jayne is probably my favorite character. I thought for a while about naming one of my firearms Vera, but I haven't got anything that quite lives up to that name.

It's difficult to choose a favorite. I like Jayne. He gets alot of good lines. I guess I'd say I like Mal the best, since I feel like I identify with him and his position more than any of the others. But it is really hard to choose, since they are all cool in different ways.

Anyone else here a Firefly fan? I really do believe it is the best SF show I've ever seen.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you aren't familiar with Firefly, it was a short-lived television series by the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Set in the 26th(?) century, the action revolves around the crew of a small "tramp" merchantman and their run-ins with the law as the try to make an illegal living transporting contraband from planet to planet, while harboring two fugitives from the Alliance government.

The writing is very clever. The action fast-paced. The acting well above, say, the level seen in Revenge of the Sith.

And... it was so popular, there will soon be a "major motion picture, coming to a theatre near you!"

http://www.serenitymovie.com/

My Home on the Web

You beat me to it. I was thinking a thread was necessary.

I started last night rewatching the DVD's in anticipation of the film.

One of the reasons I like Jayne so much is that he's always changing. Sometimes he's incredibly perceptive other times just an idiot but always sarcastic and flippant.

I have to agree that Firefly is one of the best SF things I've ever seen. The world it exists in seems very plausable and realistic. The blending of Chinese and American cultures is usually what I see into the future.

You beat me to it. I was thinking a thread was necessary.

I started last night rewatching the DVD's in anticipation of the film.

One of the reasons I like Jayne so much is that he's always changing. Sometimes he's incredibly perceptive other times just an idiot but always sarcastic and flippant.

I have to agree that Firefly is one of the best SF things I've ever seen. The world it exists in seems very plausable and realistic. The blending of Chinese and American cultures is usually what I see into the future.

I thought you were thinking that, and I was waiting for you to start one, since up until the other day I hadn't watched all the episodes. And now that I have... whoa... Objects in Space... Jubal Early... wow, what a story... what a character!!!

Interesting that you see Jayne as changing. I was thinking he was rather static. Hmmm...

I agree about the use of Chinese. That's one of the things I love about it too.

I was thinking about the show the other day, and came up with the theory that the show is all about love, and the different faces it takes. Simon's love for River. Mal's love of Serenity. Jayne's love of himself. And so on...

My Home on the Web

who'da thought it would be so good!

Me! Me!

It reminds me of a very popular SF roleplaying game that I've been playing since the mid 70s... a game called Traveller. Zipping around the 'verse toatin' sixguns and skirtin' the law is a great formula for success.

I'm trying to remember why I stopped watching it when it first aired. I know I watched at least two episodes...

My Home on the Web

bought me da the DVD set for christmas. He nearly cried when they took it off air. He'll be more then interested to know that there's a movie coming. Is is going to be the same cast and all for the film or are the changing things around?

Yep, exactly the same cast. I think it is suppposed to occur a few months after the last episode. Comes out in September and is called Serenity.

I have to agree with the love assessment, Blackjohn. It really is like a science fiction soap opera in space.

I view Janye as having a whole mess of loyalities and it's sort of a revolving rack and he ends up subordinate to whatever one is on the top. And he seems to change alot. I mean tough ass Janye is practically in tears at the end of Janyestown. He's really the only member of the crew that doesn't understand (at the beginning) what it means to have a family and needs to learn that loyalty.

It reminds me of a very popular SF roleplaying game that I've been playing since the mid 70s... a game called Traveller.

I remember Traveller! The Sci-Fi D&D game... My group had a lot of fun with it. I have not, however, seen this show. (The only TV I watch is AMC and Cartoon Network. And I seldom watch them.)

I have a good friend who really liked the show though. I don't quite remember what she said about it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I view Janye as having a whole mess of loyalities and it's sort of a revolving rack and he ends up subordinate to whatever one is on the top. And he seems to change alot. I mean tough ass Janye is practically in tears at the end of Janyestown. He's really the only member of the crew that doesn't understand (at the beginning) what it means to have a family and needs to learn that loyalty.

And he begins to understand that after Mal introduces him to the airlock. :D

I believe, when it comes to love, he really loves himself. Most of the other characters have someone else they'd sacrifice their life for (except maybe Book, since we don't know what is really up with him), Jayne doesn't. At least not yet. I think those instances of insight into Jayne are neat, because he is evolving.

I have to agree with the love assessment, Blackjohn. It really is like a science fiction soap opera in space.

But in a good way, of course. The interaction of the characters is what makes the show. They have interesting ties to one another. They are larger-than-life but believeable.

My Home on the Web

I remember Traveller! The Sci-Fi D&D game... My group had a lot of fun with it. I have not, however, seen this show. (The only TV I watch is AMC and Cartoon Network. And I seldom watch them.)

I have a good friend who really liked the show though. I don't quite remember what she said about it.

That's cool Mission, and I'm not suprised you played. It's still around decades later.

Firefly is alot like a good Traveller game session with good players playing interesting characters, with lots of action, and plenty of twists and turns. I'm not a big fan of tv. I give this two big thumbs up!

My Home on the Web

I haven't lived in a house with functioning television reception in twelve years. By the time I get around to watching a television show, it's because all of my tv endowed friends have told me I simply cannot live without seeing a particular show, and it's come out on DVD or someone burns it for me. I can count exactly what shows those have been. Spaced and Firefly have been my absolute favorites. Things I can sit down and watch over and over and get something new or different out each viewing.

Buffy

Angel

Spaced

the new Dr. Who (which I haven't watched yet)

Firefly

and Southpark

I've never watched Buffy nor Angel, but if the writing is as good as Firefly's, I'd be tempted.

Other than Firefly, the last show that was able to hook me was Lost. And I'll admit, Lost hooked me even faster than Firefly did. I'll also admit that I haven't watched but 45 minutes of Lost, so I don't know if it has the staying power of Firefly.

My Home on the Web

The last show to hook me was Teen Titans. :lol: (Duchess, you remind me a wee bit of Raven.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

The writing is just as good. That same sort of smoothness in the delivery and very smart. I actually like Angel a little more, since over the years of Buffy it gets a little repetitive with it being all about her suffering.

I will be taking the day off, the day the movie comes out to go see it. I hope the movie sparks enough interest to bring the show back.

Or atleast fund the rumoured movie sequels!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...