Boots..

I got mine from Renboots.com, the service is incredible, they weren't making the boots I had wanted, 30 mins after making the order I got a call from them letting me know this, I chose another pair of boots, and they shipped them next day for my troubles, and sure enough they were on my door the next day.

Where did ya find those beauts?

East Coast Costume I have been waiting weeks for them to arrive in stock......did a lot of shopping around and decided these will do for what I want them for.....Book signings.....I only have to impress the kids but, their parents enjoy my persona too......and I have lots of fun..Got a book signing coming up next month at the Jacksonville Riverside Art Festival.

I'm in the market for boots (as always). I have such a large foot it's hard for me to find normal boots, let alone the ones I want.

I looked at the site you purchased these from. You should have warned me there were platform shoes there (oww, me eyes lol) Do they seem like they'll last a while? I know they might not stand up to daily use, but I need a good starter pair until I can afford better ones.

I'm in the market for boots (as always). I have such a large foot it's hard for me to find normal boots, let alone the ones I want.

I looked at the site you purchased these from. You should have warned me there were platform shoes there (oww, me eyes lol) Do they seem like they'll last a while? I know they might not stand up to daily use, but I need a good starter pair until I can afford better ones.

SCA Boots http://www.faireboots.com/ import a very decent starter boot. I turned mine into a long lasting boot over a year ago and wear them 26 weekends a year and twelve hours a day X 2. The soul / heal will not hold up! However knowing that going in you can drill a small hole into your heel and put a wonderous adhesiv that will bond rubber and leather like steel is welded. I did a makeshift repair last year during the season and it didn't last then at the end of season I used funiture clamps and wooden stakes to press the heels on with this fine adhesive (i got at home depot) and left the clamps on them for two weeks and I haven't had problem one (detaching) all year and it's nine more weekends almost over.. But for $89.00 what do you expect?

Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a knife in your back.

After consulting at length with HarborMaster and BilgeMunkey, I chose boots from CABoots... I wore those bad boys for a week, tromping all over Jamaica, and they were awesome! A little pricey, but top notch...

Touche'

Ship's Marksman & Crab Fiend

Pyrates of the Coast

"All the skill in the world goes out the window if an angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

"Florida points like a guiding thumb, To the southern isles of rumba and rum, To the mystery cities and haunted seas, Of the Spanish Main and the Caribbees..."

SCA Boots http://www.faireboots.com/ import a very decent starter boot.

I've been looking at those as well. In fact, my son likes them so much he's talking about getting two pair, one for each of us :o

Do they look like they could be resoled, perhaps? I know of an old-time boot store near here and the man has done wonders with my boots before. It might be a wise investment to have quality rubber soles put on.

CABoots... Aye... it's why I still be wearin' leather combat boots... I won't buy garb boots until I can afford me a pair of CABoots... :o

I'd rather spend the extra $$$ and buy a pair of real boots that are designed to be worn on a daily basis than a pair of cheaper "costume" boots that are only designed to be worn a couple hours at a time before killing your feet and back. And that wear out in less than a year with frequent use... :o

Captain_Sigart.jpg

Captain of the Iron Lotus

It is the angle that holds the rope, not the size of the hole.

Alright, Mates, so I'm a bit behind in the conversation, but as to the authenticity of bucket boots, thought i may be a young buck, i Have done a good amount of research, and my basic understanding has arrived at this.....

Though most seaman during the GAoP wore buckled shoes with no particular side (meaning they could be interchanged between feet for longer wear) that isnt to say buckets did not exist. Cavaliers wore them so that they could be folded up for riding and then back down fer walkin about. Period art depicts Sir Henry Morgan wearing a set, granted, they wer'nt as pronounced as Jack Sparrows, but buckets none the less. As to their practicality: Probably not the most practical, but pirates were described during the time wearing fine silk shirts, and velvet breeches that they had plundered.. so why not some PERIOD CORRECT bucket boots? They were theives and men of opportunity after all, wer'nt they? jus me two cents, mates....

*picks up his drinkin Horn and goes back to his Ale*

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

so why not some PERIOD CORRECT bucket boots?

Well... since you asked... I'll give my answer.

There's nothing "wrong" with period boots. However, a theory among the re-enacting crowd is this: Don't make the rare common, nor the common rare.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

The leather is very soft, I would think that they would not be for everyday wear but would last well for pirate and fair events. I bought the small ones and they rub my ankle a little so I have been wearing them around the Cabin and quarterdeck (house...lol) to break them in, hoping that I will suffer no discomfort at my up coming 5 hour book signing event. I have been wearing the knee high boots but the hot Florida weather was a killer....I am hoping these lower topped boots will be a little cooler. They look like what people think a pirate should be wearing. Besides I find people at these events stretch their imagination to see what they want to see...for example here in St. Augustine, when one of the re-enactors from the Castillo de San Marcos walks down St. George Street in his Spanish soldier's uniform, all the tourist call out...”look at the Pirate"....Only the historical enthusiast care about accuracy.

Fair Winds

KP

Pick up some leather spray at any store. It's a relaxer. You spray it inside the boot where it is rubbing or tight and it will loosen up the leather, then dry to fit. My new pair of boots were really tight on the top - two treatments of the magic spray and they're perfect. You can get it at places like WalMart in the shoe section.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

There's nothing "wrong" with period boots. However, a theory among the re-enacting crowd is this: Don't make the rare common, nor the common rare.

I Sees yer point, there, Blackjohn, an' it makes good sense. I got me buckets from Renboots for practical reasons, since i was workin around a forge and molten metals and feared a splash or a stray smolderin clinker o' coal, Though i will say most times when weather and turf permitted I went barefoot due to comfort. Them boots do get a might bit warm in the summer...

- 10 Fathoms Deep on the Road to Hell... Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum...

Pick up some leather spray at any store. It's a relaxer. You spray it inside the boot where it is rubbing or tight and it will loosen up the leather, then dry to fit. My new pair of boots were really tight on the top - two treatments of the magic spray and they're perfect. You can get it at places like WalMart in the shoe section.

-- Hurricane

Thank You...I'll give it a try.

KP

• 2 weeks later...