Boots..

Im lookin fer some tough period boots i dont have an "outfit" i just want some boots that will stand up to the ware and tear of an everyday seafairers life..

John

:ph34r:

there are several other topics devoted to good places to buy boots. they are located here in the plunder section. You might like to check those out.

ARRR! I too be lookin' fer boots....and yes, Petee, I already checked www.caboots.com.

The boots I be lookin' fer are an earlier version of the classic "pirate boot". These be called "Buckets", and they have the large flap of leather that fits over the top of the foot like a stirrup.

Okay..this be a picture of the toy...but jus' look at its feet mates!

I've seen the suede "musketeer boot", but I'm hopin' ter find something "non-suedey". Perhaps a place that sells them in smooth cowhide?

ARRR!

REDD.jpg

YARRR! The Oktober be silent now! Just call me "REDD!"

Redd,

the flappy bit (or "butterfly")isn't an integral part of the boot, it straps on by way of a three way strap, one piece over the top with the butterfly on it, the second under the arch of the foot and the third piece round the back, or replaced by your spurs.

What I'm saying is that you could go without, since pirates weren't noted for their horse riding, or you could pretty easily make a pair to fit onto any boots.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Redd- the butterfly serves two purposes. It stops the top of the boot from being rubbed and gouged by the stirrup arch, and it stop the spur leather from creasing the boot and putting pressure on the instep of the foot.

Here's a link to a topgrain bucket top, but be warned. They're very pricey!

http://www.cavregsupply.com/boots1.html

Hawkyns

:D

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Redd,

the flappy bit (or "butterfly")isn't an integral part of the boot, it straps on by way of a three way strap, one piece over the top with the butterfly on it, the second under the arch of the foot and the third piece round the back, or replaced by your spurs.

What I'm saying is that you could go without, since pirates weren't noted for their horse riding, or you could pretty easily make a pair to fit onto any boots.

Aye, I had a pair of those I made of six-in-one chain maile. Just an addition to the boot.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/sho...earchPosition=5

This should be exactly what your looking for. They are suede, but you could coat them in water proof oil, the stuff that mountain climbers and hikers use. That would make them harder and shinny.

A friend of mine in our group has a pair of these... They are really well made and not bad for fencing in either. You can walk around all day in them and not feel too much pain :lol:

William Blydes

I don't get lost, I EXPLORE!

CaptRob.jpg

Adventures on the High Seas

(refitted and back on station!)

This should be exactly what your looking for. They are suede, but you could coat them in water proof oil, the stuff that mountain climbers and hikers use. That would make them harder and shinny.

Ah! These top my Christmas / Birthday wish list! A fine looking boot, indeed!

Where's Bilgemunkey? He sported a fine pair of boots when I met him, and I cannot remember where he said he purchased his.

04de8cfe.jpg

"He's a Pirate dancer, He dances for money, Any old dollar will do...

"He's a pirate dancer, His dances are funny... 'Cuz he's only got one shoe! Ahhrrr!"

FH1040.jpg

This is a stupid Question But were boots of that time period really like the ones on potc? and i looked at the museum replicas boots and they arnt exactly like boots id want to wear everyday..and thats what im lookin fer some period boots i can ear everyday.

Sorry fer buggin tha Craythur outta ya..

Much Respect

John

:D

(Blackjohn picks up Vera the blunderbuss, aims at Pirate Petee, then puts is back down.)

:o

Naaah, I ain't gonna shoot you. I like the cut of your jib.

Lets face facts. Everyone here is doing this pirate bit for a different reason. Some of us like authenticity. Others like looking like the latest Hollywood hero. Who am I to say "you are right and I am wrong." :o

The only trick is, it makes my job of educating the public more difficult. So... it's a good thing I've not been hired to educate the public!!! :)

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

This is a stupid Question But were boots of that time period really like the ones on potc?

Uhmmmm... no

There are a few boot threads in Plunder and maybe even a few in Captain Twill. Most researchers agree that the bucket boots would not have been practical on board ship.

Even if they were, 17th/18th century boots are constructed differently than the boots being sold as pirate boots today.

If you are tending towards a "fantasy" pirate impression to have fun, hell you could wear Star Wars storm trooper boots and I don't think it would really matter.

But as with most things for historically recreating the GAoP, you are going to probably have them made for you if you want them done correctly. I have some information on my website about period shoes and sources at GAoP Shoes.

Sara Juniper makes some really nice period boots

17c6.jpg17c7.jpg

good luck

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Has anyone seen the Museumreplicas bucket boots first hand?

They look good in the photograph, but I have seen some repro buckettops with the buckets sewen in from seperate pices of leather and stitched in place as perminant cuffs.

Proper buckets should be made fom one leanghth of leather so that they can be pulled up to protect the thighs.

I recently purchased a pair of bucket "musketeer" boots from "By the Sword" These were recently priced and quite comfortable once worn in. They have uppers that can be pulled up to totally cover thighs, If you get these boots I would suggest a pair of sole inserts to greatly improve your disposition during long days of costume. Good luck of your purchase.

To The End Of Thee World or Wherever We Happen To Spin Off

I'm off to see the elixir.

The wonderful elixir of ours.