Looking for a Pirates hat

• 2 weeks later...

I just received me Blackbeard tricorn oil/wax treated. It be a beauty. Cap'n Jack MacKay be a fine craftsman. He be very prompt in his delivery, even though he told me he be quite swamped with orders. A stand up business man indeed. :) I highly recommend his talents to all. ;) Huzzah to Cap'n Jack MacKay ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I collect Leather hats., Civil War., and Tricorn types., All Leather., a couple are suede (Civil War Kepi's) but even most of them are a Black smooth grained leather., and I am happy., I live in Washington State where it rains 9 months of the year., I never owned a felt hat., and doubt I ever will., my daily work hat of 23 years is a black Kepi (Same hat and cleans right up)., Do what you want ,.,say what you will., but a good leather hat is had to beat and would be lost or stolen before wearing out or going limp or curlying in the rain . No Tar here. :unsure: I do have 2 Excaliber tricorns a Black and a Brown. I got the first hat and was happy with the quality., but something was lacking., When I order the second., I measured the brim of the first. It was 4"., the 2nd hat I order ., I ordered in a 5" brim., Wow What a differance., and that was it . Do your self a favor and request a wider brim or theyll just send a 4"

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

• 1 month later...
:lol: sticker shock :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

I can nae read, so I'd be guessing if I said I knew what lies these lot be feeding you.

Ye gots ta get yeself some good plain hats (Rabbit felt makes for good 'uns)

And do tha customisin' with yer own bleeding hands!

Go wrangle a parrot for some of them purty feathers, then go cut a wee strip of hide off of a shark or other fearsome beast for other decorations.

Go find some roadkill

Don't eat it ya goon!

Get some o' them maggoty whatsits to eat off all that tasty flesh, and adorn ye new hat (and anything else you've got) with bird/small mammal skulls.

Money can't buy that kind of deco, and they sure make for a good talking point (and a chance to tell some bloody mighty lies! :lol: )

hmmm...

Or you can take a lampshade, spray paint it black, and affix a skull and crossbones with white pipe cleaners...

Arrr...

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I could help you out with the feather part, if you find the hat you like.  I've now got an s-load of resources for all sorts of purdy hat feathers...

I'm always looking for feathers to adorn hats! Please share your resources, Bonnie Red Weasel! ;)

BTW - there's a party with a gagle of red-heads in Initiation Rights and Pub Management - come join us up on the bar for a dance and drynks are on me!

Oh, Diego has one of the excalibur hats and it is really well made. We met the owners fo the company just this summer when we were in Northern CA - either at Novato or SLO, and they are more than willing to acomodate dimensions not posted in their site. She even said she could make a custom size XXXL if needed. They were the nicest vendors at faire!

;)

Of course I'm no expert, but if ye're looking for a historically accurate hat, I'd buy a wool or fur felt one, and steer clear of the leather ones. As far as I know, there is no evidence of tricornes being made of leather in period. Sure, they look good, but are not historically correct. I could be wrong , though, and if proven so, please accept me apologies... :angry:

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

i have the dirt cheapest hat in the world, the hat was from walmart in the halloween stuff, the 'el bandito' foam thing, with an ostrich feather and a scarf tied on it, and the side pinned with an earring. of course, this is a temporary hat, for wearing on halloween and maybe one day of the pensylvania renfair. i'll be getting a good one, maybe bug my way into one for christmas.

• 3 weeks later...
i have the dirt cheapest hat in the world, the hat was from walmart in the halloween stuff, the 'el bandito' foam thing, with an ostrich feather and a scarf tied on it, and the side pinned with an earring. of course, this is a temporary hat, for wearing on halloween and maybe one day of the pensylvania renfair. i'll be getting a good one, maybe bug my way into one for christmas.

Actually at the PA Ren Faire they have a very nice shop which builds you a tricorn hat with the accessories you choose. I was going to do that then opted for http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-DISTRESSED-Rogue...1QQcmdZViewItem which you can see me wearing in me profile pics. It's a nice hat for the price.

"A merry life and a short one be my motto"

Avid the PA ren faire, or live nearby? We're trying to start a club/group to do some fun things outside of the faire! www.countyerdoubloons.com/tavern