I've always wanted to go there...

Mission

I am leaving for Australia July 1 and the response I typically get when I tell people this is, "I've always wanted to go there!" or "I plan to go to Australia some day."

It would seem there're places like Australia that a lot of people would like to go. Here's some that have been on my short list for quite awhile:

-Scotland

-Serengeti

-Madagascar

-Brazil

-South Pacific Islands

Nearly all of these places are the results of my readings - particularly from books by Gregory McDonald. (I found Key West through his writings.)

What's on your short list?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Haha, I've always wanted to go off the shore of Queensland and go snorkeling over the great barrier riff. Funny, never really thought about it, I can snorkel, but I can't swim, also my zodiac sign is aquarius :P ...oh yea right, riff.

Mission, bloody good that yer heading Down Under! How long will ye be in Australia? I've not yet been, but would love to one day.

Me short list ye ask?

1) Scotland

2) Ireland

3) More of England than I saw a few years ago

4) Iceland

5) Bermuda

I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is the one in which we throw away the map.

-- Loreena McKennitt

My fathers knew of wind and tide, and my blood is maritime.

-- Stan Rogers

I don't pretend to be captain weird.

I just do what I do.

-- Johnny Depp

Ever read Terry Pratchett's "The Last Continent"?! It pretty much well-sums-up my thoughts on Australia ...

I would love to go to see the Great Barrier Reef, and Sydney, I will say. However, my short list:

1) The Caribbean (anywhere in there; I'm not picky)

2) England

3) France (specifically, Paris)

4) Greece (or Italy)

5) DISNEYLAND!! (couldn't help myself :P:lol: )

"Pirates ... were of that old breed of rover whose port lay always a little farther on, a little beyond the skyline ... if they lived riotously let it be urged in their favor that at least they lived."

~ John Masefield

Those who live by the sword, get shot instead.

captainjackisback.jpg

We're starting in Sydney where we plan to walk over the top of the bridge in the harbor. Among other things, we're going to visit Ayer's rock (because that's required by tourism law) and dive the Great Barrier Reef from a liveaboard ship. I got my SCUBA certification this year just for this reason.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

short list, eh?

1- the rest of the us and canada - (may as well begin at home)

2- great britian (home to my heritage - ancestry)

3- australia and new zealand (be a liar if i said i didn't want to go there)

4- peru (ancient incan ruins)

5- the yucatan penisula (ancient mayan ruins)

(my art history plays a big deal in this too)

next--------------

:lol:

~snow :D

with faith, trust and pixiedust, everything is possible ;)

if it be tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

IWG #3057 - Local 9

emmf steel rose player - bella donna, 2005

improv cast member and dance instructor - fort tryon medieval festival

lady neige - midsummer renaissance faire

I haven't put a lot of thought into this, so these are mostly off the top of my head, and in no particular order:

-Antarctica. Being a Northerner, I seem to have a natural preference for cold places, though I would go in summer of course. And, I want to eat penguins, just like in Patrick O'Brian's Desolation Island. Mmmmm, salted penguins.....

-The Canadian Maritimes. From salmon fishing on the Mirimichi to prowling around L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland.

-New Zealand. I wanted to go even before Lord of the Rings, and now I want to go even more. Plus, I bear a passing resemblance to Peter Jackson, so maybe someone will buy me a pint.

-Easter Island. Come on, those giant heads are just too cool.

-Sweden & Norway. Land of my ancestors, but I've never been there. I even know the exact farm where my grandfather's grandfather came from in Gagnef, Sweden, so I'll stop in for lunch and a tour. And I'll bring flowers.

Turning the subject on its head, is there anyplace that you've been that people should see before they die, but may not have ever considered visiting? I've got one: Northwestern North Dakota. Seriously. It still looks like old paintings of the Old West, there's still lots of bison and antelope around, and about 6 people. About 15 years ago, Red Bess and I went there in April, and we had an entire national park to ourselves. Just me and me sweetie and about 2 million acres without another soul. Simply breathtaking.

Being a southern boy, I would say Key West, first. Then the Yosimite, The Grand Canyon, and Alaska. then Cozamel, Cancun and Austrailia :lol:

Shipwreck

Adventurer of Independent Means

TALL SAILS AND MERMAIDS TAILS, THIS BE THE LIFE FOR ME

"THEM THAT DIE WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES"

bnnr2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The Maritimes are lovely - my family is from there, particularly along the Mirimichi in central New Brunswick.

Let's see... my short list:

1. Scotland

2. Ireland

3. Northern Italy

4. Australia

5. New Zealand

6. Turkey (to see Aya Sofia)

7. Greece

8. Costa Rica

9. The Galapagos

RHJMap.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a stepson in Australia. Never been there, though.

The only places I really PLAN to see before I die are:

- England

- Scotland

-Providence, RI

- Jamestown, VA

- St. Augustine, FL, Manteo, NC, Charleston, SC (all "again")

- the mountains of North Carolina

- sailing for a couple days and nights on a tall ship (no destination)

Would like to go somewhere in Central America - Belize, or Coata Rica; but that's more of a whim.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Well not to be braggert like Mission ;) , but I have been lucky enough to be some of these places. Such as...

The eastern caribbean (Nassau, St. Thomas)

The western caribbean (Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel)

Hawaii (Oahu, Maui and Kaui)

The Mexican Rivera (Rosarito Beach, Cabo San Lucas)

Disneyland and Disneyworld

So for my whining of places to go,

1. Washington DC and New York

2. Alaska (Denali State Park)

3. Australia and New Zealand (Great Barrier Reef)

4. China (Forbidden City and Great Wall)

5. Florence, Italy (really into Bizantine artwork)

6. Canada (Whislter and Victoria tops the list)

7. Spain, Portugal and Monaco

1, 4, and 6 are most likely to happen (can be combined with a business trip). The others will have to wait until I hit the lottery.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Hmmm, that is something to think about...

Ireland and Scotland (Got to viset the lands of my forefathers, of course)

Jamacia (Pirate central! )

Italy

Greece

France

New Zealand

I want to say Austrailia, but I'm terrorfied of those monsterous fanged jumping spiders they've got down there O.O

While we're wishing, my life's greatest ambition is to get rich, buy a ship of some type, paint it black, hoist the pirate colors, and set off to whatever port is fashionable this year, there to thoroughly annoy the celebrities I don't like and attempt to comandeer their yahts. "Avast there, Brittany, ye slutty trollop! I'm taking this vessel in the name of ME!"

Everyone loves an Irish girl. ;)

Mad Molly

Pearl, you braggart you! :lol: Some of my favorite places include Nevis, W.I. and Key West.

I did not see any fanged jumping spiders whilst in Australia. We travelled Sydney, all over the desert, Cairns and throughout the rainforest up thataway. No fanged jumping spiders. (Alas.) Actually, I was quite shocked at how American it all seemed. There were differences, but not many notable ones.

The SCUBA diving was great! We did 10 dives in three days, including night dives and several non-guided dives. Awesome, just awesome. I am already a level 2 diver. grin.gif

Mission_banner5.JPG

While we're wishing, my life's greatest ambition is to get rich, buy a ship of some type, paint it black, hoist the pirate colors, and set off to whatever port is fashionable this year, there to thoroughly annoy the celebrities I don't like and attempt to comandeer their yahts. "Avast there, Brittany, ye slutty trollop! I'm taking this vessel in the name of ME!"

That be why I'm working on getting my sailing certificates. Me plan is to retire to some island community where I run the ship and me mate runs the scuba diving tours.

And, if you looking for Brittany. She be no where near the blue waters. She be looking for a house in my area of world, Scottsdale, Arizona. There goes the neighborhood. :D

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Me list:

Bermuda--for the Blockade Runner Museum

The Virgin Islands--for Blackbeard Ale

And always to Ocracoke

Have ye been to this Blockade Runner Museum, Jim? :o Pray tell us about it. :D

Aye, I've been to Ocracoke and it's great! Would love to live there: but me Mate Jan has enough sense to keep reminding me that it's prime hurricane zone! :(

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Have ye been to this Blockade Runner Museum, Jim?  Pray tell us about it.

Nay, not yet to Bermuda, Capt'n William. Tis on me list to visit for that museum. The watercolor sketches found in The Civil War Navy Chronology, Part VI are located there. Don't think that they used all the prints available. Shall inform you when I go, yet that be a long way from now.

Best Regards,

Jim-sib

hmm places i want to go but probally will never happen.

* egypt - had an obsession with ancient egyptian stuff since i was a kid

* europe - beautiful countries and part of my ancestry (germany, england, fance)

* japan - to see all the beautiful places i see in pictures and such and to see all the crazy stuff they have in stores.

* austrailia and new zealand - want to see the crocidile hunters zoo thing and wanted to go to new zealand before lotr but even more so now

things that might happen in my lifetime

* go to pip & go on one of the ships

* go to a huge game con or comic con in california

* take a road trip somewhere with a bunch of friends

* meet as many people as possible that i know online and talk to often

things i can deffinalty do if i just make myself

* design and construct my pirate costume and wear in at the renfair

* conquer my fear of water, learn to swim in the deep end and hopefully learn to surf

* find out exactly what i want to do for my future career and finish school

* hopefully make a good lasting impact on as many lives as i can, i treasure the memories of others that have done that for me and i just want to share that if possible

And, if you looking for Brittany. She be no where near the blue waters. She be looking for a house in my area of world, Scottsdale, Arizona. There goes the neighborhood. :ph34r:  

Uhg. Very sorry. You can always aquire a cannon and launch things at her house.

Mad Molly

And, if you looking for Brittany. She be no where near the blue waters. She be looking for a house in my area of world, Scottsdale, Arizona. There goes the neighborhood. <_<  

Uhg. Very sorry. You can always aquire a cannon and launch things at her house.

We have a few celebrities in the area and for the most part I don't care. It only becomes a problem when they venture out of their castles. Mrs. Federline already has 3 rooms reserved for when she delivers her baby in the local hospital. I guess it's screw anyone else who needs to deliver a baby. The hospital only has 10 rooms for maternity and serves a population of over 250,000 people.

~Black Hearted Pearl

Mrs. Federline already has 3 rooms reserved for when she delivers her baby in the local hospital.

WTF? Are they expecting a baby of unusual size or something? Or is that for all the video cameras?

Mad Molly

Mrs. Federline already has 3 rooms reserved for when she delivers her baby in the local hospital.

WTF? Are they expecting a baby of unusual size or something? Or is that for all the video cameras?

Perhaps they are expecting a ROUS instead of BOUS?

I suspect it's so no one will hear her cuss her mate out like a pirate while she's in labor, but we digress.

~Black Hearted Pearl

<_<

I don't think they exist.

hmm places i want to go but probally will never happen.

* egypt - had an obsession with ancient egyptian stuff since i was a kid

* europe - beautiful countries and part of my ancestry (germany, england, fance)

* japan - to see all the beautiful places i see in pictures and such and to see all the crazy stuff they have in stores.

* austrailia and new zealand - want to see the crocidile hunters zoo thing and wanted to go to new zealand before lotr but even more so now

If you think you will someday go to these places, I suggest you will someday go to these places. If you think it will probably never happen, it almost certainly will not.

Let me 'splain...no there is too much. Let me sum up. As you think, so shall you be and do.

Mission_banner5.JPG