Pirates in Detroit?

Iron Jack

Ahoy, mates!

Traveling to Detroit this week. Any interesting piratical things not be missed while I'm there? Haven't found any tallships that call the area home.

:huh:

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info

I can't think of a thing.

Pyracy was never big sport in Detroit. Since the technical definition of pyracy according to the International Maritime Organization is restricted to activity on the high seas or waters outside of state jurisdiction, even if thieves were stealing cargo and ships on the Detroit River, it wouldn't technically be defined as pyracy - it would be defined as theft.

I suggest checking out Royal Oak while here. Most modern pirates would probably enjoy Royal Oak: lots of interesting restaurants and bars...and a shop called Noir Leather, which is always worth a look. They create window displays of which any pirate would be proud.

You can also drive by the eerie Fort Wayne on Jefferson Avenue. It's in the more industrial part of town and, while I have never seen it open, it is an historical curio.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Right ye be there, mate! Thankee fer the headsup!

Couldn't find hardly a bloody thing to do in downtown! Stuck in the Renaissance Center all week (and over the weekend, when it pretty much be all closed. Bah!). Bloody HOT outside too!

I did, however, pop into a couple of interestin' pubs while there and managed a glimpse of the "Maritime Sailor's Cathedral."

(quoted from the "Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald"):

"In a musty old hall in Det-ro-it, they prayed

At the Maritime Sailor's Cathedral, blah, blah, blah . . ."

So that was interestin.'

Mostly got to sit in me room and practice me squeeze (squeak) box, so I did learn a couple 'o new ditties while there, so it weren't a totally wasted time. Payback be a real b*tch if ye be a noisy neighbor 'n be roomin' next to ole' Jack ! :unsure:

Iron Jack: Scourge 'o the Shores!

Some mornings, it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

- Emo Phillips

Damfino!

Buccaneers Ball Info