What's In a Name?

Planksheer

:lol: I been asked ta explain where I came by me moniker, which be "planksheer". For th' enlightment of one and all, I shall tell. Harken, ye lubbers, th' planksheer be th' portion of a ship's hull from the turn of the bilge to th' keel. Have to larn ye th' ropes next.

During me days with the King's Navy, I survived keelhaulin' no less than than two times! The charge bein' drunk on watch, and a dirty lie it war to be sure! The First Mate bore false witness agin me, may his scurvy soul burn in hell! After the second episode, me shipmates took to calling me "Planksheer".

The afore mentioned tale be God's truth, so help me! :lol:

:lol:

Planksheer

:lol: Ah, ye sly dog, ye. Ye caught me in me little yarn. As ye be known', any sailor worth his salt is always lookin' for a chance to tell a tall tale or two in hope o' which some lubber will stand him a bumper of ale, or at least stand with mouth all a' gape. This particular yarn came to me on the spur o' the moment an' t'was too good ta let pass by. It gladdens me soul beyond measure ta larn there be one man jack out there who knows his fo'c'sle from his aft.

Should we ever meet, I'll stand ye the bumper! :lol:

Planksheer

;) I be offerin' apologies if any o' ye felt put upon by my overactive imagination. Once the story took form it also took on a life of its own, an' I took it in me mind ta make free with the facts for the sake o' a good yarn.

So much for pirate speak. In truth, the name "Planksheer" came from an encyclopedia of nautical terms. It also happens to be one of the passwords I recently retired from my computer at work. Every ninety days we have to change two passwords for two firewalls in order to log on to the network. That's a lot of passwords. Currently, I'm working my way through the above encyclopdia for obscure words that fit into the required fields. For anyone faced with this same dilemma, I highly the above source.

Thought I'd try to give a bit a romance to a word whose original purpose was for one of the most ordinary of tasks.

Planksheer :lol: