Finding Your Pirate Name

Rumba Rue

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As it happens, I was Captain Jim way back in high school, having grown up sailing and such on Tampa Bay. When I moved to Kentucky (a sad tale in itself) the name resurfaced as a derogatory term the the guy that didn't fit in all that well with the tobacco farmers and religeous zealots I found myself with. Then James Taylor did me the favor of writing the song "Captain Jim's Drunken Dream" and redeemed my name. So when I turned to Pyracy I already had a name, my first and middle names, Captain James Warren.

How historic is Captain James Warren as a reenactor name?

An actual Captain James Warren, son of Nathaniel Warren and Sarah Walker, was born in Plymouth, MA November 7, 1665 and died May 30, 1715. Great grandson of Richard Warren, a Mayflower passenger, he had three children: James, Sarah and Hope.

I'm good with that.

As a side note to William: Sarah Doty, his wife, outlived him by 30-some years and remarried to a John Bacon.

Strange, this world we live in.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Dirty Morty Cash

"You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean -- not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You're musical, and you've got a certain style if not flair. You'll do just fine. Arr!"

• 7 months later...

The name link gave me Dirty Morty Flint. I'll stick to MonkeyJohn.

When my nephew was but a wee lad, his cousins told him that the man he called "Uncle John" was the oldest person alive and was the original monkey everyone had evolved from. From then on, I was Monkey John to the kids. When I began writing childrens books and stories, it became MonkeyJohn. Then I began reading to schoolchildren as MonkeyJohn the Pirate and kept acquiring more pirate garb.

My re-enacting club never let people choose their own name... it was earned by a great deed (or misdeed). As such I have yet to claim a name. Is there a term for one who liberates a fair sized sloop without permission? Perhaps there's a name in there somewhere. Thief seems so common & vulgar. There were witnesses... but to my knowledge no one ever talked. No one walked the plank but it might just be an act of piracy.

Edited by flagman1776

Exeter, Rhode Island

admin http://www.msrefugees.proboards.com/

• 11 months later...

Bloody Flame comes from my love of fire and fighting and Wind Rider comes from a good mate of mine who said if when I find me ship and sail the sea I would ride the wind across this world and the next leaving chaos in my wake and Gail is a term for a strong gust of wind if ye didn't know

• 10 months later...