Top 10 items for your pirate kit

Just look at Pirates in Paradise. Everybody gets along.

Aye, we do, and yet the one thing I hear most often during and after the event is,"Next year I'm going to..." and fill in the piece of garb/equipment that someone wants to upgrade to be more authentic. Nobody pushes strict adherence to some code or another at PiP, it just becomes infectious, the PiP Virus if you will. Still the PiP Careening Camp (and now the other camps as well) was envisioned as a showcase and breeding ground for authenticity, a place to come and share and learn. As a result a minimum attempt at period garb is expected on your first visit. Then the PiP Virus takes over and the next thing you know you're writing a book on period ship surgical procedures or learning to make period buckets for the fire barrel. No pressure, no authentinazis, just infectious desire to do what we do only better.

Now enough of this and back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to post about PiP... :huh: Basically, the 1720 Careening Camp doesn't have "Garb Standards"... We discovered that it works better to kinda "lead by example..." instead of telling someone what they have to do....

Just because it's fun to pick on Captain Jim...

81b7de60.jpg

LOOK.... BUCKET BOOTS... :huh:

OK that picture was from four years ago when we were trying for figure out how to run a Period Camp...... He doesn't wear the bucket boots at PiP any more... not because someone told him that he couldn't, but because as Capt. Jim posted above, after PiP, everyone goes home and tries to figure out how to make their clothing and camping gear even better for the next year....

Just for funsies.... Because this is The Top 10 Items for your Pyrate Kit...

Wot ye need fer PiP..... to Have a great tyme....(and keeping it inexpensive...)

1: Some way to get there..... I fly out each year, Pyrates that live closer drive....(It cost about $360 to fly out from California)

2: Basic semi-period Pyrate clothing (Slops or Breaches, a shirt, decent shoes, a belt, head covering.... waistcoat or coat.)

3: Something to sleep in or under.... A blanket and....well I have a sail and hammock, others have bought of made tents... if your really on a budget, you can get a canvas tarp and make a shelter... (I'll let Captain Jim post alla bout that.... :huh: )

4: Something to eat and drink from.... a pewter tankard, plate and spoon is period, but onna budget, hit local yard sales and find a wooden bowl and spoon....

5: Your going to need some money... I took $500, but if I hadn't missed the bus on the way down, and didn't have to stay in a Hotel one night in Miami, adding in airport parking ......I would have only spent $200 playing in Key West....

6: Weapons are optional, but a cutlass and guns does make it a lot more fun.....

7: RUM

8: more Rum

9: an extra hat..... Mission and Stinky like playing Musical Hats....

10: A willingness to have more fun than any Pyrate should be allowed to have....

Hey the slogan on the posters... it's the Holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas with the Family you wish you had.... And that slogan is right......

I am simply going to have to run down and destroy all known copies of that picture...it keeps coming up again and again...Still it goes to illustrate the point, so I'll let it survive.

That and I look damn good in bucket boots. Great Halloween wear and good for parades.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Jamey lad, I likes yer boots! Ifin I had been less schooled and richer when I started I would ave bought mae a pair fer myself! Since I bae a penny pincher n'avin online pirate friends wot knows better I missed out on d'fun uv bucket boots!

Maybe some day ....for haloween or a parade ...maybe I'll get;s mae sum.

I was going to post about PiP... ^_^ Basically, the 1720 Careening Camp doesn't have "Garb Standards"... We discovered that it works better to kinda "lead by example..." instead of telling someone what they have to do....

Just because it's fun to pick on Captain Jim...

81b7de60.jpg

LOOK.... BUCKET BOOTS... ^_^

OK that picture was from four years ago when we were trying for figure out how to run a Period Camp...... He doesn't wear the bucket boots at PiP any more... not because someone told him that he couldn't, but because as Capt. Jim posted above, after PiP, everyone goes home and tries to figure out how to make their clothing and camping gear even better for the next year....

Just for funsies.... Because this is The Top 10 Items for your Pyrate Kit...

Wot ye need fer PiP..... to Have a great tyme....(and keeping it inexpensive...)

1: Some way to get there..... I fly out each year, Pyrates that live closer drive....(It cost about $360 to fly out from California)

2: Basic semi-period Pyrate clothing (Slops or Breaches, a shirt, decent shoes, a belt, head covering.... waistcoat or coat.)

3: Something to sleep in or under.... A blanket and....well I have a sail and hammock, others have bought of made tents... if your really on a budget, you can get a canvas tarp and make a shelter... (I'll let Captain Jim post alla bout that.... ^_^ )

4: Something to eat and drink from.... a pewter tankard, plate and spoon is period, but onna budget, hit local yard sales and find a wooden bowl and spoon....

5: Your going to need some money... I took $500, but if I hadn't missed the bus on the way down, and didn't have to stay in a Hotel one night in Miami, adding in airport parking ......I would have only spent $200 playing in Key West....

6: Weapons are optional, but a cutlass and guns does make it a lot more fun.....

7: RUM

8: more Rum

9: an extra hat..... Mission and Stinky like playing Musical Hats....

10: A willingness to have more fun than any Pyrate should be allowed to have....

Hey the slogan on the posters... it's the Holiday between Thanksgiving and Christmas with the Family you wish you had.... And that slogan is right......

Passing the Rum!! Thank you for explaining it to me. Because Pyrates are so much fun. The weapons I will eventually get depending, but i still got my feast ware kicking around somewhere. And my tankard(In photo)got to put the rum in something.

ERIS

Welcome to my nightmare....

I have embraced my inner magpie. OOH SHINY!!

I am simply going to have to run down and destroy all known copies of that picture

Awh heck... I was postin' a picture showin' us at PiP a long tyme ago.,.. an I didn't even remember ye even wearin the bucket boots.... I just remember we had so much fun.....

Well it is a good picture.... But DAMN... that was the Pyrate Camp 4 years ago..... WOW... we've gotten so much better......

Great Point

I agree with leading by example. I think that there is a natural progression in Re-enacting/living history. At first you do it just for fun, and with pirate, anything goes.

When you do that enough times, you start to see what other people have, and in conjunction, start doing your own research.

That is when the hook gets set... you start wanting more than "just enough garb to get by".

You see individual pieces that appeal to you, and then you run into folks like Pat Hand, Chloe Black, Michael B, and Captain Stirling, and go whooooaaaa!

Its hard to be 100%, but its fun to try to get there.

There is a friendly "one-upmanship" that pushes the authenticity boundaries further and further.

I know I have recounted this story before, but I and some friends, had toyed with the idea of doing pirate in the 90s. We had kicked around some ideas, but the final straw was going to a time-line living history event in Williamsburg, VA.

I can't remember what gear I was in at the time, but right by our camp walked Black John and his wife, and man they were decked out in "real" pirate stuff.... not the fantasy pirate clothes but what I had thought real pirates looked like.

That's when I made up my mind to take the plunge.

Now, I am sure Black John could tell you all the things that were wrong with his kit on that day, but the important thing is that we don't stay static in our pursuit. Black John has improved in the last 10 years, I have improved in the last 10 years, and the hobby has improved as well.

We need to nurture our pirate brethren (and sistren?) and help them get better, not berate them because they don't meet a particular standard.

And leading by example is one of the best tools available.

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

• 4 months later...
...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

So I see ye be looking for an Astrolabe, I may have a source. I don't know the cost but I do know it is a museume quality reproduction of an original cast in bronze. When held against an original I challenge you to pick the reproduction.

Commodore Swab

id.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
...sextants, at least those we commonly come across, are not period for the GAoP, they were developed by Captain Campbell RN in the 1750s. An octant, Hadley quadrant, Davis quadrant, plain quadrant, cross-staff or astrolabe would be a fine and useful alternative.

Agreed and understood, except...

The sextant was an easy purchase.

Decided to purchase several guns instead of one astrolabe. They just aren't cost-effective. The reason I have one as my avatar is... so I have at least ONE astrolabe, even if it's only a virtual one.

If someone finds a good source of affordable astrolabes, PLEASE start a new topic thread in PLUNDER.

redskytrader on ebay has one for around $50

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp