Top 10 items for your pirate kit

One short of ten, but I can't think of anything else a woman needs...

A hansome beau?

kassnfoxe.jpg

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was going to suggest something to do with her hands (needlework etc) but hanging onto a fellow would work too.

Kass, what do you mean by "don't pull the neckline over the shoulders"? You mean off the shoulders right?

Great pic Foxe.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Yes, Chole. That's precisely what I meant. Your naked shoulders shouldn't be showing. :)

I love that picture. It's about the only time the sun shone that day! ;)

logo10.gif.aa8c5551cdfc0eafee16d19f3aa8a579.gif

Building an Empire... one prickety stitch at a time!

• 9 months later...

An airsoft, AK-47 or an M-16 or a Pump Shotgun......

Just wear you normal street cloths and a pair of mirrored sunglasses, and tell everyone you'r a modern pyrate..... (that's wot I'm going to do fer Ojai)

Total cost..... $9.95 - $45.00 (but that's getting the cool AK 47 with the folding stock.........)

Why bother.... all the rennies and fantacy/Hollywood pirate will whine that your stuff is too good, and they can't afford it or take the time to make it themselves..... and the public won't recgonize you as a pyrate without a pair of caboots bucket boots anyway......

If nothing else Patrick, I care and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I know going into PIP for the first time, I won't be perfect, but at least I know I've put an honest effort into doing the best I can. Poo, If I were perfect this time, I'd have nothing to look forward to next year. All I know is I'm having a heck of a good time researching, asking questions and learning new things.

Let 'em whine. :blink:

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Last year at PiP, most of my garb was cotton..... But I decided that I wanted everything to be as authentic as I could possibly make it...... I'm not quite there, but heck....I've worked at it for the last year, and I'm getting closer......

Saved my money... bought the guns.... made the clothing..... and this year.... damn I'm going to "shine".......

But what I'm peaved about.... I get kinda tired when someone says they are happy being a Hollywood Pyrate..... but can't understand why they get no respect......

(can't type anything else... because it would all sound bad....)

Jeesh!...Everything from one night stands to machine guns,but..I'm truely fu*king amazed that not a one of you topped your list with a ship. Certainly a pile of weekend warriors have permeated this site. I'm embarrassed for all of the pirate world. For all of that, Partrick's lame assed reply is probably closest to home. Please get a life, and stop 'visiting' in pyracy,eh? Go back to 'Star Wars'..It really was a better world before POTC, methinks

This is indeed, a great thread.

For a small event coming up on the 29th, I'm putting together a simple, "building-blocks" type of kit:

Slops from Reconstructing History

A Shirt from Jas Townsend that at least looks authentic

A pair of Gurkee's Rope Sandals - although I'm not sure which style to get.

I'll probably also include some sort of head scarf. Thoughts?

I've got the heart of a pirate, just not the garb...

Jeesh!...Everything from one night stands to machine guns,but..I'm truely fu*king amazed that not a one of you topped your list with a ship. Certainly a pile of weekend warriors have permeated this site. I'm embarrassed for all of the pirate world. For all of that, Partrick's lame assed reply is probably closest to home. Please get a life, and stop 'visiting' in pyracy,eh? Go back to 'Star Wars'..It really was a better world before POTC, methinks

That's pretty damn sad. At least no one here has RUN AGROUND you ass!

And I wonder how many of us contributed to the re-afloat fund... I know I was one.

Should I regret that?

GOF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I understand what you're saying, Royaliste, but not having a ship actually mirrors the position of many sailors during peacetime, so, you see, it's all about authenticity...

...Along with striped socks and oxford shoes.

"The time was when ships passing one another at sea backed their topsails and had a 'gam,' and on parting fired guns; but those good old days have gone. People have hardly time nowadays to speak even on the broad ocean, where news is news, and as for a salute of guns, they cannot afford the powder. There are no poetry-enshrined freighters on the sea now; it is a prosy life when we have no time to bid one another good morning."

- Capt. Joshua Slocum

Well this certainly wasn't my intention for bringing back this thread.

Patrick, I'm truely sorry and can empathize with your frustration but there will always be folks out there that do nothing but whine and complain. You know the saying about opinons and a**holes, everbody's got one.

Rryalist,

I do not want a ship in my kit for many reasons.

For starters, I am a reenactor. I portray a woman in the times. Not to say a woman would NOT own a ship but honestly, without all of the modern machines and technology it would be HARD work for a wench to work a winch. This is part of the reason there were so few women working as sailors on ships. Even if I am reenacting as a man I do not want a ship, again, I would simply be a sailor so my kit should reflect this.

Some reenactors choose to volunteer on others ships for the experience. Could they do this if they owned ships of their own? Nay they could not.

Reenacting is something we do for leasure, it is not only the ship we want but the history of life surrounding that time. For many the time needed to devote to a vessel is, as you know, extensive. Most choose not to take that path.

Additionally, I don't know about anyone else here but, I do not consider a ship as part of ones "kit" anymore than I consider a log cabin part of the kit of a pioneer reenactor's kit. That would be foolish. Ones kit should be portable. A ship, although movable is far from portable. ...unless your ship is a toy.

Next, this thread has turned into what the starter pirate reenactor needs. A ship is not for the starter pirate. If it were there would be no one to pay for passage on someone else's ship.

Now, ask me what is on my top 10 "dream" list in reality and you would see a detailed description of the ship I want. However, I play at this. It is not My reality. It is not your reality either. You portray a Pirate ship of the GAoP but you do not make your living at piracy (well for all I know you may make some of it that way). However, the outward appearance is that you make your living with the "tourist" crowd. There is NO shame in it but THAT Royalist is the reality of it.

Royalist, you would have done well to stop at the end of your first sentence. Many of this "pile of weekend warriors have permeated this site" are your bread, butter, and "hired" help sirrah!

My top ten:

1. Shift & Petticote

2. Stays

3. Mantua & Waistcoat

4. Shoes

5. Socks & Undergarments (Bloomers aren't pc but they are closer than cotton undies)

6. Hats, Coif, Chaperone, Kerchief, Pockets & Apron. (I still say the coif makes me look like an Amish Dumbo)

7. Eating Utencils: Knife/Fork, Spoon, Bowl, Cups, Waterskin

8. Pocket knife, Daggers & Thumping device

9. Wool Blanket and Hot Chocolate for those nights sitting around the fire

10. Willingness to learn from people that know a lot more than I do. And a big bottle of Rum for Patrick. :lol:

OK, maybe it's a little more than 10 things, never could follow the rules. :rolleyes:

Nice list Lily! :lol:

Now, you've got me in the spirit...

1. Latchet shoes (which I don't have yet, but is at the top of my list to get)

2. Linen shirt

3. Knee breeches (which I have), or slops (which I still have yet to make).

4. Short waistcoat and/or short sailor's jacket

5. Socks/Stockings (commenting because of another thread I saw on this forum, I have a wool pair, and a Linsey-Woolsey pair, I found the linsey woolsey pair much more comfortable in the summer than the wool, not sure how the linsey-woolsey compares to cotton, but judging from wearing my modern socks on a daily basis (which are all cotton), I would guess the linsey-woolsey would feel better).

6. A hat (I have prefer a cocked hat on me, but I'm guessing there probably should be more of the other period hat styles out there).

7. Belt (sword belt in my case).

8. Period hanger sword to go with number 7.

9. A Musket or pistol of some variety (another item on my to get list)

10. A Shot pouch or cartridge box to go with item #8 and 9. (Still need to buy or make this as well), other gun accessories could be lumped in here as well (powder horn etc.)

Looking back at Haunting Lily's list, I like her item number ten... If I wasn't trying so hard to keep my items as "hard goods", Lily's number ten would have made my list as well (probably at the top of the list at that!). Well said Lily! :rolleyes:

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

My top ten:

1.  Shift & Petticote

2.  Stays

3. Mantua & Waistcoat

4.  Shoes

5.  Socks & Undergarments (Bloomers aren't pc but they are closer than cotton undies)

6.  Hats, Coif, Chaperone, Kerchief, Pockets & Apron.  (I still say the coif makes me look like an Amish Dumbo)

7. Eating Utencils: Knife/Fork, Spoon, Bowl, Cups, Waterskin

8. Pocket knife, Daggers &  Thumping device

9. Wool Blanket and Hot Chocolate for those nights sitting around the fire

10.  Willingness to learn from people that know a lot more than I do.  And a big bottle of Rum for Patrick.   :D

OK, maybe it's a little more than 10 things, never could follow the rules.   :rolleyes:

See that right there... THAT is what makes a GOOD PYRATE!!! :lol:

:huh: As another who donated money to the Royalist, I feel that insulting the members of the very forum that opened their hearts and their wallets to help refloat and refit your fine vessel, is a very poor way to thank them.

I pray to the sea gods that you never run aground again. Instead of opens arms and offers of help, I fear you may get a lot of cold shoulders.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

And it might be added that the intention of the thread (as I understand it) was as a priority guide for newbies rather than a fantasy wishlist. And I suspect having to buy a ship as part of the basic kit would probably put all but the looniest of prosective reenactors off.

6.  Hats, Coif, Chaperone, Kerchief, Pockets & Apron.  (I still say the coif makes me look like an Amish Dumbo)

I never realised it before, but I guess the Amish are the one people you can slate to your heart's content online, safe in the knowledge they'll never know... :huh:

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Well, the Amish are fine people, I deal with them on a regular basis, know them pretty well as they live around here in large numbers. They couldn't care less what people say here nor there. They are above all that nonsense. I suppose we could all learn from them.

As for me, I'm just pure a$$hole and I react to bullsnot like what was said here the way I know how. There is NEVER any reason to rip on people in such a dishonorable way. The statement was uncalled for and needed adressed and I stand by what I said, and I'll say it to his face. I can back my self in any situation, no problem If that is what "authentic" is, then I'm damn proud to be a FARB! B)

Read the sig. I live by that.

Bo

Jeesh!...Everything from one night stands to machine guns,but..I'm truely fu*king amazed that not a one of you topped your list with a ship.  Certainly a pile of weekend warriors have permeated this site. I'm embarrassed for all of the pirate world. For all of that, Partrick's lame assed reply is probably closest to home. Please get a life, and stop 'visiting' in pyracy,eh?  Go back to 'Star Wars'..It really was a better world before POTC, methinks

Just to be on the safe side can a moderator find out if someone used the Royalist login and password to smear Royallist by posing as him. This seems decidely out of character.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg