Nautical Magazine?

capnwilliam

Does any mate know of any periodical devoted to historic nautical matters? Something that would concentrate on the great age of sail, and discuss shipbuilding and battles, navigation, sailor's dress, weaponry and battle tactics, piracy and privateering, nautical skills and crafts, etc.

I'm not interested in how-to-do-it publications for yachtsmen, sentimental stories about contemporary declining fishing communities, or How I Won First Prize for My Dashing Captain LeBloodie Pirate Costume; but things that will help me understand the age of sail, and help me be a better, more authentic reenactor.

Any thoughts?

Capt. William

:D

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Aye Captn William, I also am looking for magazines that are devoted to the period. I just returned from Borders Books and they have a huge magazine rack but nothing on our period of interst. The Renaissance organizations have a magazine!!!! Anyone have any ideas?

Animal

:D

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!

sea history magazine

look under publications.

looks like a great magazine

nautical world magazine

nautical world magazine contact info

this one looks good too

:ph34r:

Capt Weaver

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned. A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. "

Dr. Samuel Johnson

Capt Weaver's Pirate Perversions

Try "A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor". It was written in 1819 by Darcy Lever. He wrote it for every new sailor because of the harsh treatment he recieved from a superior officer when he asked him a question. He was belittled and made to feel foolish, but it became the inspiration for his book. The book was written as a how-to manual of tall ship sailing. When a young crewman heard a term he didn't understand, he could quietly look it up in his book later and be prepared for the next time. I'm sure it bailed out many new sailors in it's day and it is just as useful for those of us who are literally "learning the ropes" on tall ships. It is beautifully illustrated, and a fine example of technical writing and technical drafting, designed to make a complicated process clearly understood by it's reader.

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com

Hands down "Mariners Mirror" It's published by the Society of Nautical Research. Here are some titles of articles from the current issues (v.89:3):

Where did Drake Careen the Golden Hind in June/July 1579?: A Mariner's Assesment by Sir Simon Cassles (good article)

Image and Reality in Eighteenth-Century Naval Tactics by N.A.M. Rodger (theorectical vs practical navy tactics. Good diagrams)

There are also article about the failed attept by the British to burn the Algerine fleet in 1679

There is also a section were subscribers can submit inquries like this time there is on on lighting below deck on 18th century vessels asking for what was used etc. It'll be interesting to see the replies.

The journal (published quarterly) comes with membership to the Society. It costs $60.00 per year, which although pricey it makes up in research value. If I didn't get use of it at work I'd get a subscription!

The membership also includes free admmitance to National Martime Museum (GB), Merseyside Maritime Museum, & the Royal Maritime Museum. There is no website listed but here's address:

Membership Secretary

Society for Nautical Research

c/o National Maritime Museum

Greenwich, London SE10 9NF

GREAT BRTIAN

There is also

"International Journal of Maritime History"published by the International Maritime Economic History Association. Pulished 2 x a year. Subscription price $45.00 (but worth it for the book reviews alone!)

www.mun.ca/mhp

"Sea History" published by National Maritime Historical Society(USA). Published quarterly. $35.00 for membership.

www.seahistory.org

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency

Thank ye fer all the cites, shipmates. MARINER'S MIRROR, and the book Clare mentioned, look especialy interesting.

I'm familiar with WOODENBOAT; a great publication for a contemporary boat owner, but not a lot of history to it, other than articles about late 19th - early 20th century boat yards and builders.

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

That was me. American Neptune is published by the Peabody-Essex Museum has one of the largest maritime art & history collections in the U.S. . you can find them online at:

http://www.pem.org/collections/maritime.php

It's mostly America and usually 19th century but I have found good articles on 17th-18th c. maritime history, including article on pirates.

Check it out Cpt. William! :)

Red Maria

The Soul of Indecency