Post yer aresnal!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently acquired, back in January, an Dahomey Amazonian Warrior short sword from an anthropologist's estate.

For those interested here is an excerpt from "The Dahomey Amazons - Dahomey's Women Warriors"

The Dahomey Amazons were a Fon all-female military regiment of the Kingdom of Dahomey (now Benin) which lasted until end of the 19th century. They were so named by Western observers and historians due to their similarity to the semi-mythical Amazons of Ancient Greece.

King Houegbadja (1645 to 1685), the third King of Dahomey, is said to have originally started the group which would become the Amazons as a corps of royal bodyguards after building a new palace. Houegbadja’s son King Agadja (1708 to 1732) developed these bodyguards into a militia and successfully used them in Dahomey’s defeat of the neighbouring kingdom of Savi in 1727.

European merchants recorded their presence, as well as similar female warriors amongst the Ashanti peoples. For the next hundred years or so, they gained reputation as fearless warriors. Though they fought rarely, they usually acquitted themselves well in battle.From the time of King Ghezo (1818 to 1858), Dahomey became increasingly militaristic. Ghezo placed great importance on the army and increased its budget and formalized its structures.

The women warriors were rigorously trained and given uniforms. By this time the Amazons consisted of between 4000 and 6000 women, about a third of the entire Dahomey army.European encroachment into west Africa gained pace during the latter half of the 19th century, and in 1890 King Behanzin started fighting French forces in the course of the First Franco-Dahomean War.

According to Holmes, many of the French soldiers fighting in Dahomey hesitated before shooting or bayoneting the Amazons. The resulting delay led to many of the French casualties. Ultimately, bolstered by the Foreign Legion, and armed with superior weaponry, including machine guns, the French inflicted casualties that were ten times worse on the Dahomey side. After several battles, the French prevailed. The Legionnaires later wrote about the “incredible courage and audacity” of the Amazons.The last surviving Amazon died in 1979.

Members could enroll voluntarily, or were involuntarily enrolled (conscripted) if their husbands complained to the King about their behaviour. Membership of the Amazons was supposed to hone any aggressive character traits for the purpose of war. During their membership they were not allowed to have children or be part of married life. Many of the Amazons were virgins.

The regiment had a semi-sacred status, which was intertwined with the Fon belief in Vodun.The Amazons trained with intense physical exercise. Discipline was emphasised. In the latter period, the Amazons were armed with Winchester rifles, clubs and knives. Units were under female command. Captives were often decapitated

Note: it took the French almost 4 years to conqueror them, and only then when the Legionnaires came in with Machine guns.

The sword I have obivously weighted for a woman's hand, I can see the battle marks that it has on the hilt and blade.

Lady Cassandra Seahawke

Captain of SIREN'S RESURRECTION,

Her fleet JAGUAR'S SPIRIT, ROARING LION , SEA WITCH AND RED VIXEN

For she, her captains and their crews are....

...Amazon by Blood...

...... Warrior by Nature......

............Pirate by Trade............

If'n ye hear ta Trill ye sure to know tat yer end be near...

• 4 weeks later...

Well Maddogge, I see ye reading the thread and I KNOW yer just dying to.... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I've talked about my various weapons from time to time - might as well post a couple of pictures.

As you can see, I'm pretty much prepared for whatever kind of mayhem I might get into...

The red-handled knife was hand-made by Patrick and the belaying pin was hand-made by the captain of the Aldebaran. Both the rifle and pistol were completely re-built by Jack.

(And yes, that is a kitty in the upper right. For a cat that hates having his picture taken, he still has to get into EVERYTHING, even if there is the risk of having his picture taken.)

Weapons.jpg

Also, Jack did some inlays on the stock of my rifle - here's a closeup of his work (this is his first attempt!)

Inlays.jpg

RHJMap.jpg

Oooo... very nice, Jill! I like the inlay.

A very nice piece, Bo.

~Lady B

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Arsenal... I've got it...

PICT0064.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

The one on the left is mine...

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

Plus this beauty... I'm in the process of restoring it...

PICT0006-1.jpg

And I have this "quaker gun" that I made. (A quaker is a wooden cannon used to fool the enemy)

PICT0087-1.jpg

Plus I have a real cannon the same size and I have three period boats with three swivel guns. Also picked up a pretty little boxlock pistol last weekend.

Ha! :lol:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

:lol:

Bloody hell, man! Ye can most definitely supply a fort or a wee town!

Especially with the carriage. I was stunned and eyeing the carriage. So... have ye horses in mind to pull the fine piece? Or haven't thought of that yet? I can see a fine pair of Friesians pulling that. Hahaha... I'm a bit rusty in driving unfortunately. Would be great for those highwaymen portrayers out there. :lol:

My goodness. Yes stun me to the fullest. And I do so love the cannon. The bigger the better. ;)

~Lady B

Bloody hell, man! Ye can most definitely supply a fort or a wee town!

Especially with the carriage. I was stunned and eyeing the carriage. So... have ye horses in mind to pull the fine piece? Or haven't thought of that yet? I can see a fine pair of Friesians pulling that. Hahaha... I'm a bit rusty in driving unfortunately. Would be great for those highwaymen portrayers out there. ;)

My goodness. Yes stun me to the fullest. And I do so love the cannon. The bigger the better. ;)  

Lady B

I have two horses, but neither of them are pulling horses. Yes, I too can envision a pair of Friesians, but until finances allow, I'll have to settle for a 14 year old Belgian. Should be getting her soon. (Yes, I put the cart before the horse... lol! )

And after I posted that I regretfully realized that I hadn't posted any swords. I guess I need a picture of all the things I don't already have pictures of.

SOME OF US ARE TOO ATE UP FOR OUR OWN GOOD!!!! :lol:

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

When you get that Fort or small Colonial town up and running (I have a feeling that this is the direction it may go :lol: ).... let me know... I MOVE there! ;)

Aye, perhaps in due time the coinage 'll be there for a fine pair of Friesians well trained to pull such an extravegant carriage.

Ooo, do show pictures of the Belgian when you can. Eager to see her. After all, even horses can be a part of one's arsenal. Especially if you are a Dragoon. ;)

I can quite see Cheeky enjoying a ride in this beautiful transport. Oh, I want to be there for pictures of that!

Too ate up? :lol:

I am NOT going to ask. ;)

But with the amount of all here with our fine weaponry.... we could very well supply a fortress let alone take over our own area of land.

I feel a pirate revolution coming on! ;)

And yes... do post the swords. Eager to see the vast slew ye have.

~Lady B

• 9 months later...
Aye, perhaps in due time the coinage 'll be there for a fine pair of Friesians well trained to pull such an extravegant carriage.

Ooo, do show pictures of the Belgian when you can. Eager to see her. After all, even horses can be a part of one's arsenal.

~Lady B

:rolleyes:

Definitely a pair of Friesians, or andalusians!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png