Nokia`s `Age of Piracy` to Set Sail in the Mobile

Shiver Me Timbers, Nokia`s `Age of Piracy` to Set Sail in the Mobile Gaming World

May 16, 2005 09:12:40 (ET)

ESPOO, Finland, May 16, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Nokia, the leader in mobile communications, announced today the launch of the massively multiplayer adventure game, "Age of Piracy", expected to be available later this year on selected Java-enabled cell phones through Nokia SNAP (Scalable Network Application Package) Mobile service. Set in the 17th century on the Caribbean Sea, "Age of Piracy" delivers swashbuckling fun in a world of deceit, collaboration, trade and looting on the waters off the shores of the Spanish Main. And in a mobile game first, "Age of Piracy" debuts a rich European comic graphics style with saturated colors and satirical humor.

"'Age of Piracy' not only strengthens our massively multiplayer title lineup on the Nokia SNAP Mobile service platform, the depth of the game world is unbeaten by the Java games out there today," said Lisa Waits, head of Nokia SNAP Mobile. "The unpredictable plot paired with rich community features will have gamers begging for more - which we can deliver to them with our ability to upload new missions and game content on the go."

"Age of Piracy" indulges gamers in the fantasy of playing fearless pirates and merciless traders on the unpredictable Caribbean Sea. Head-to-head sea battles, chatting with pirate mates and battle rankings add to the thrill of this treacherous voyage. Gamers have the choice to develop their swashbuckling careers in single or multiplayer modes. Player-to-player trading, special missions to earn fame, chatting and mobile industry first rich comic graphics style round-out the unforgettable gameplay experience of this buccaneer bonanza.

Supported by the Nokia SNAP Mobile platform, "Age of Piracy" has been developed by Sweden-based Jadestone. "We have been concentrating on mobile multiplayer gaming for years and Nokia SNAP Mobile is the first truly end-to-end multiplayer gaming and community solution for Java phones we have come across," said Robert Henrysson, CEO of Jadestone. "With Nokia SNAP Mobile bringing us the key business and technical enablers to generate revenue on mobile multiplayer games, we can focus our efforts on creating the best mobile multiplayer games ever seen."

All online Java games currently created for the Nokia SNAP Mobile platform are supported by Series 60 Java MIDP2.0 capable phones from Nokia and the handset support is broadened shortly to cover further Nokia and non-Nokia handsets. Earlier this year, Nokia announced deals with Hong-Kong based carrier SmarTone and has several other deals in the works with other carriers to bring Nokia SNAP Mobile platform games to their customers.

"Age of Piracy" is expected to be available on mobile phones later this year.

About Nokia

Nokia is a world leader in mobile communications, driving the growth and sustainability of the broader mobility industry. Nokia connects people to each other and the information that matters to them with easy-to-use and innovative products like mobile phones, devices and solutions for imaging, games, media and businesses. Nokia provides equipment, solutions and services for network operators and corporations. www.nokia.com.

About Jadestone

Jadestone Group (Jadestone) is a leading creator and developer of internationally acclaimed mobile and online multiplayer games. The company develops both proprietary game formats and games based on leading external IPs together with leading international media companies and publishers.

Jadestone, with offices in Stockholm, Sweden, boasts a solid competence mix of strong business profiles and highly experienced network gaming creators, architects and developers. The company is privately owned and funded.

www.nokia.com

www.snapmobile.nokia.com

Copyright © 2005 Nokia. All rights reserved

SOURCE Nokia

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

2 words: contract phone.

:huh:

cost nothing & you get the hottest new piece of ear candy every year, unless you renew your contract, but no one does. Pah...

Contract phones are good IF you have the money to spend on the monthly bill (or you can get a parent/guardian/someone with money that loves you to pay the bill)

haharr...

The bad things is, you don't know when you go over your monthly tariff, and some of the things that you get for free in the first months like internet connection are ~EXTREMELY pricy when you have to pay.

off the topic of contract phones. SCAMMERS ARGGGHHH :D

... on the topic, I'm not a fan of nokia phones, I likes my motos arggggghhhhhh... *sulks* Damn nokia and their pirate appeal-ing-ness..

Sounds good though :huh:

Can't afford it, i have pre paid and never take more then one card a month..i've the phone more for when i need to reach someone then for fun, as calling is conceirned, i send many sms as i have this great sms contract.

You could choose which you wanted and this one rocks!

hero.jpg