Wanting yer advice

Fancy

Recently I attempted to try on some Pendragon bodices only to find the largest they go for even an extra large was a size 14. Arrgghhhh!

Rather disappointed to say the least.

Rumba

Did you actually try it on? I'm a size 24 and the XL fits just fine.

I vote for the Pendragon Costumes basic leather bodice. I've had it for 6 years and it still looks perfect. I don't feel any hotter in the leather than the cloth. The pendragons have a fabric linning and because it molds to your body it's like having a second skin.

This is the style that I have: thumb_pic_tob.gif

Here's a pic of me wearing one: LINK(Beware: contains cleavage)

It hits about halfway up the breast.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, I attempted to try it on....just too small. I'm built kind of out of sorts due to back situation (one shoulder higher, one hip higher, due to scoliosis), but I did like Pendragon's items. Very pricey though.

I actually found a really nice bodice at Southern Faire this year, that my companion bought me. I haven't worn it yet, but will shortly as there are a ton of events coming up in August.

What is really great is the fact that not only does it fit me perfectly, I now have perfect bodice to make a pattern from that will work better than the pattern I bought to make bodices many years ago where I've had to fiddle with the sides because they don't match up.

Rumba... do you know how to make a "duct tape and tee shirt" pattern ?

Put on the tee shirt, and have a friend duct tape you into it......

Mark where you want the seams to be on the finished bodice....

have your friend CAREFULLY cut you out of the tee shirt.....

You now have a rough pattern that exactly fits your body..... (you may have to adjust some of the seams and darts untill it will lay flat...)

Rumba... do you know how to make a "duct tape and tee shirt" pattern ?

Put on the tee shirt, and have a friend duct tape you into it......

Mark where you want the seams to be on the finished bodice....

have your friend CAREFULLY cut you out of the tee shirt.....

You now have a rough pattern that exactly fits your body..... (you may have to adjust some of the seams and darts untill it will lay flat...)

I've never heard of this, but it sounds like a great way to start off with your exact body shape!

jgirl... that shows how to make a dress form..... the only difference is that you cut apart the duct taped tee shirt to make a pattern.... but the link (and a good one) shows the basics of the idea.....

Different one. Better link: LINK

figa.gif

get wrapped

figb.gif

mark out pattern with straps

figc.gif

or without

figd.gif

• 2 weeks later...

What an interesting, yet informative thread! I have some questions for the group. I've had a leather bodice for about 7 or 8 years now, and am wondering if it would suit a pyrate costume if'n I want to add on a few pieces to it to complete the look.

Also, should the bodice feel generally snug all around, or should there be any give? I've grown into my bodice, so to speak (went from a string bean to a lady), and it is a little snug, but if that is the ideal fit, I'll stick with it. Same goes with the "ladies". If they're sitting right where they should be, that's great, but if not, I'll be looking for a new one at the next FL Pyrate fest.

If a picture is preferred to see how I fit into said bodice, I can provide that in a day or two.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

What an interesting, yet informative thread! I have some questions for the group. I've had a leather bodice for about 7 or 8 years now, and am wondering if it would suit a pyrate costume if'n I want to add on a few pieces to it to complete the look.

Also, should the bodice feel generally snug all around, or should there be any give? I've grown into my bodice, so to speak (went from a string bean to a lady), and it is a little snug, but if that is the ideal fit, I'll stick with it. Same goes with the "ladies". If they're sitting right where they should be, that's great, but if not, I'll be looking for a new one at the next FL Pyrate fest.

If a picture is preferred to see how I fit into said bodice, I can provide that in a day or two.

This depends on wether or not accuracy is important to you. Me, it isn't drastically important and tends to take a back seat to my pocket book. So, I use my leather bodice as a multipurpose base piece. I created the character with the accessories, the type of shirt under the bodice, pants/skirt shoes, etc...

Yes it should be snug, but not inhibit breathing or create bruises.

Ahh...then I think I'm along the right track then Duchess. Thank you.

The bodice in the following two pictures is snug, but not uncomfortable. However, I have found that the boning just below each of "the girls" bows out just a tad. I figure it would be a bit more form fitting in that area. I'll check out boustiers at the next faire to arrive at my port...to see if a better fit might be had.

Pardon the quality of the images, as my flash works only when it wants to these days (I'll be getting a new camera soon, I hope).

Boustier Pic I

Boustier Pic II

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

You may want to check in with our local miracle worker, Diosa. She does new bodices (she's doing something like 55 of them for the Morgan's Harbor Resort in Jamaica. She may be able to help you re-rig the one ya got or she can show you how to make one in Costume Central...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 4 weeks later...