Who is a good builder of Flintlock kits?

I need someone to build a Rifle Shop flintlock Hand Mortar

I looked for a few online but some of the big names charges 1000s of dollars to put guns together.

Any suggestions?

GoF

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Good luck, mate!....I've built a few rifles from scratch...Looks fun, but on this side of the pond, making parts that fit the end of weapons crosses into several forms of Federal felony charges. The laws here are pretty clear on pre-1890's `muzzleloading replica's..

Simply put, you can buy, make and own a pre-modern muzzle loader, but attachments that can launch, silence, or modify take it out of gun law exemptions. If you are just making a kit gun, I recommend Track of the Wolf. Best quality. If you want to make that launcher, that's another story here. Clear enuff???...our laws allow copies or antiques, but not mods.....Just spend a few thou being 'guilty' of a black powder infraction, so I'm very familiar with current codes.........

I still don't know what you are saying. Are you saying that building the Hand Mortar kit offered by ( i said in error earlier that it was a Track of the Wolf kits... its actually) The Rifle Shoppe is in violation of ATF regulations?

Or that once its built, any modifications to it are illegal. To make sure we are on the same sheet of music, the Hand Mortar in question has a stock and flint lock, with a 2 1/2 inch breech. Like a giant blunderbuss. Its not "modified" to launch... thats what it is. the TRS link I posted is just the barrel, there is a stock and a whole "gun" that it is part of.

The gun will reside and be used in the US....

GoF

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

Here are the reg's-

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pu...ub/2000_ref.htm

Royaliste, what did you get "busted" for?

Yours, Mike

Try these for starters- "A General History of the Pyrates" edited by Manuel Schonhorn, "Captured by Pirates" by John Richard Stephens, and "The Buccaneers of America" by Alexander Exquemelin.

• 2 weeks later...

I see you found Bennie Coogle over on the H.T. board. Good stuff. I've seen a couple of these weapons over the years. Brad Spear had one that was slightly smaller calibered, that we used to fire raquet balls for siege events. There was one at the Thirty Years War event at Ft. Mifflin a cuple of years ago with matchlock ignition. I've got a spare matchlock on the bench and wondred about building one of these. Let me know how the casting on the barrel is, and if it needs much cleaning up.

Hawkyns

:rolleyes:

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Hawkyns

Yes I stumbled upon the Historical Trekking site in a search for Ben Coogle. He has made several Hand Mortars and apparently, the one in the Rifle Shoppe catalog is based off of one he made from scratch.

In my conversations with Mr Coogle, he thinks that there may be some "tricky" parts to building the kit but should not be too hard. The lock is complete (from TRS) but I have no experience in these matters and have time on my side for a change so I don't mind waiting for a professional (as long as its not too expensive).

He sent me a couple of pictures of his various handmortar builds and he has a completed one for sale. I am waiting for permission to post it up here along with a price for those interested.

Will keep you posted as events warrant

GoF