Post yer colors, mates!

Sending pictures is easy:

create an account at photobucket.com, upload your pictures, and then cut and paste the code that starts with {option}

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to see some new ensigns on the thread. There are some very fine flags, indeed. Despite how simple and similar some of the elements are, we have all managed to make some very unique flags that are striking in their own familiar way. I'm beginning to recognize people as much from their jacks as their names.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

It's nice to see some new ensigns on the thread. There are some very fine flags, indeed. Despite how simple and similar some of the elements are, we have all managed to make some very unique flags that are striking in their own familiar way. I'm beginning to recognize people as much from their jacks as their names.

See? I told you that William knew jack...

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I was bitten by a spider this past summer, and it was a nasty affair....I figured if they can do that to a man, then their reputation is deserved, and they could strike fear into a man.....

when I looked for one for my sigil, I noticed the abdomen and thorax made a skull shape, and so it worked perfectly (the original design had a skull in the spider's pincers)

I thought about using a crab instead, as it's more nautical, but I think the spider works better......

I have a modified one with a crescent moon between the pincers.....

"Disobediant Monkeys will be shot, Disobediant Undead Monkeys will be shot repeatedly until morale improves"

"They Says Cap'n Alva went funny in the head and turned to Cannibalism while marooned on a peninsula."- Overheard in a nearby camp

When making a pirate flag, I would be sure to remember that graphic artists weren't prevalent on pirate ships or pirate ports. There were, of course, artists, and a slick design was possible (as shown by some of the military designs of the period), but, sometimes a straightforward and bold design can convey much more than a detailed or busy design. You want the prey to get the message at the first glance! I guess I'm just saying that I personally like a little home-made (or ship-made) feel to these flags. Just my opinion. That being said, nice work everybody!

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

The best rule of thumb is this...

If you can tell what it is through a spyglass several leagues off, it's a good design, so if you make it on a computer, shrink it down really tiny to see if you can still get the "feel" of it.

Example:

RedWakeFinal.jpg

2caa1c6e.gif

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

When making a pirate flag, I would be sure to remember that graphic artists weren't prevalent on pirate ships or pirate ports. There were, of course, artists, and a slick design was possible (as shown by some of the military designs of the period), but, sometimes a straightforward and bold design can convey much more than a detailed or busy design. You want the prey to get the message at the first glance! I guess I'm just saying that I personally like a little home-made (or ship-made) feel to these flags. Just my opinion. That being said, nice work everybody!

I actually agree......and while my formal training is in graphic design, I tried to keep it simple, but still maintain a degree of artistry......

I kept familiar sigils in the initials, and the hourglass and skull, but I wanted my own twist, in the spider, and the color scheme (red and black was used, just not as often as black and white)

I tried not to keep it too 'busy', and it's a fine balance........but then, you're the flag guy.....

I just want a flag so unique that when it is flown, people can point to it and say "That's Captain Alva", when I'm camping.......

it could be worse, it could've had Frankenstein fighting Chewbacca on it.....

I just finished a rough machine appliqued version of my flag. I'm planning on linen with wool & hand sewing for the next one. This is nice enough to hang out front of our house though.

Picture015-1.jpg

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

The best rule of thumb is this...

If you can tell what it is through a spyglass several leagues off, it's a good design, so if you make it on a computer, shrink it down really tiny to see if you can still get the "feel" of it.

Example:

RedWakeFinal.jpg

2caa1c6e.gif

Small nough?

redwakefinalrr1.jpg

And now you know why I use my colors for my avatar and save the larger space of the signature graphic for my handsome mug.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Chole,

I like your flag. The rough edges make it look a little "rough". Pirates could sew, but I doubt a lot of them turned the seams under. I made a flag like that (seams turned under) initially for POTC, and it didn't feel right. The production designer agreed. I thought it might make the flag weaker to just sew the material right on without turning the edge, but the flags held up through gale force winds in the Bahamas (we flew them all day, every day so Gore could get a feel for them). From a slight distance, the fraying edges weren't visible in the overall design. Of course, we were dealing with very large flags. We also aged the flags heavily, which I thought would look ridiculous, as I'm sure that flags were repaired constantly (and pirate flags just weren't flown that much). We had patches, powder burns, musket ball holes, some cannon rounds, fading, etc. and they actually looked better visually (which is the only way you can look at something). Blackbeard's flag actually got hung up on a crane, and was ripped to shreads. I thought it was a total loss, but I repaired it, sewing the tears by hand, etc., and the thing turned out to be the best looking flag of all.

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

A crew member (Dirty Dave) ready to hoist our colors (minature version) on the Lady.

th_heartofgoldflag_JPG-1.jpg

"The Heart of Gold" be the moniker. I be a whimsical pirate enabler sort. ;)

Click on the thumbail for a larger view.

:(

This ensign actually flew aboard the Lady Washington in Baker Bay, but don't tell the Seaport. wouldn't want any of the crew doin' the hempen jig!

:(

The larger 3 x5 ' version is waiting for me to add the flames.

Applique handstiched on linen. Aye,leave those edges rough! I used a sinple blanket stitch. Finished onboard the Lady Washington, during 4 day transit from Coos Bay, Oregon to Ilwaco, WA May 2006.

pictures of the voyage including the flag raisin'

http://www.fletcherpdx.com

Stormfeathersiggycopy.jpg